Author Topic: Avast! WEB SHIELD blocking web access?  (Read 16125 times)

LandToSea

Re: Avast! WEB SHIELD blocking web access?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
Yes, successful pings on both. This is with AVAST! Web Shield OFF.

LandToSea

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I noticed that when I shut off Windows firewall and I disable ALL shields in AVAST! Windows Security still displays Avast firewall as ON? Could this be relative?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think Avast's firewall works in conjunction with the Windows Firewall built-in to Windows Vista and 7.  Turning Avast's off won't turn off the windows firewall.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

LandToSea

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Let me clarify for the record. I manually turned off Windows Firewall in the MS panel. Since there is no way i see to turn off just the firewall protection for Avast I have shut down all shields assuming this would disable the firewall if there is one in Avast? My thought was even though I shut down all shields maybe there is still an Avast firewall enabled in the background since Windows shows it as so?
Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think Avast's firewall works in conjunction with the Windows Firewall built-in to Windows Vista and 7.
Fully right.
The best things in life are free.

LandToSea

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
Ok, good to know but we are discussing an XP system int his thread so I suppose it is irrelevant? Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 03:25:23 AM »
Ok, good to know but we are discussing an XP system int his thread so I suppose it is irrelevant? Thanks!
It's compatible with Windows XP firewall as the same of Vista and 7... ::)

LandToSea

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:46 AM »
Thanks, but I still do not see how this is relevant. There was never a concern about Windows firewall being compatible or working in conjunction with Avast. The concern is if I have Avast turned off and Windows firewall turned off why does windows show that there is firewall protection from Avast? I would provide a screenshot if there was a convenient way to upload and post it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:22 AM »
Sorry, I misread between posts.
You can post a screenshot on the advanced options and attaching a file (screenshot).

LandToSea

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 04:20:53 AM »
No worries Tech, I know you guys are just trying to help everyone so thanks. Here is a screenshot showing that Avast is disabled but Windows is stating that Avast AV protection is on under Firewall settings. This may be totally unrelated to my concern that if I have Webshield on I can't access the internet via Chrome or IE.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:27:35 AM by LandToSea »

BILL G

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
    This may have Worked for Me.  Settings/Network Conn./Local Area Conn/General/Properties/Configure/Advanced/Conn. Type/  Change + Reset these  Last Settings.

LandToSea

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
    This may have Worked for Me.  Settings/Network Conn./Local Area Conn/General/Properties/Configure/Advanced/Conn. Type/  Change + Reset these  Last Settings.
Thanks for the input! I am not understanding where this string location begins, can you clarify Bill?

BILL G

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »

Start /  Settings /Network Conn./ >

LandToSea

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
Thanks Bill. Not sure if you are on XP, but I did not have "Settings" in my Start menu. Anyway, I wanted to make sure you were not referring to setting within Avast or somewhere else. I navigated thru My Network Places but once I got to "Advanced" I did not have the "Connection type" option? See screenshot.

BILL G

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

OK You are on the Right Page. I have a CNet PRO 200 WL Network adapter. You may want to Reinstall or Update the Driver also.