Author Topic: Virus- win32 trojan-gen help!  (Read 4878 times)

zephyrs

Virus- win32 trojan-gen help!
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:31:05 PM »
Hi!   I just got a virus, and none of the buttons on Avast will get rid of it.   It says it is not able to remove it.   What do I do?   Will it help to clean the registry?   It said to turn off the computer, but I had to come on in order to ask for help.
         Bye.
                           Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Virus- win32 trojan-gen help!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 11:47:59 PM »
Please provide more information.

- What OS?
- What file is detected as infected?
- What is the location of that file?

zephyrs

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 01:33:12 AM »
Hi!   What does "OS" mean?
You asked what file it is in.    And the location of the file.   Here is what I was told when I finished the most recent Avast scan:
C/programfiles/commonfiles/gnt/eggcengine.dll
Restore/temp/A0028438.CPY
VRS Version 04433, 10/22/2004
Listed lines of the virus - 7, selected lines - 0
                       Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 01:40:51 AM »
eggcengine.dll is part of Claria aka Gator aks GAIN aka GIAN Publishing. It is malware. Remove it.

OS=Operating System

IBCrazy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 02:04:00 AM »
FYI:  You should not remove it unless you do not or no longer want to use their programs.  Doing so could mess up the actual program that is installed.  If you want to uninstall the program(s) that you have installed do so by uninstalling them - going to the Add/Remove Programs.  Anyone can tell you that ramdomly removing files is not a good idea.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 02:20:05 AM »
FYI:  You should not remove it unless you do not or no longer want to use their programs.  Doing so could mess up the actual program that is installed.  If you want to uninstall the program(s) that you have installed do so by uninstalling them - going to the Add/Remove Programs.  Anyone can tell you that ramdomly removing files is not a good idea.

Understanding that gator is malware, and actively tracks and targets adds to your pc............. you forgot to include that part IBCrazy

zephyrs

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 03:14:56 AM »
Hi!   I don't use Gain publishing.   So I might as well get rid of it.   I tried to look for it in my add/remove programs, but I didn't see it.   I saw it down in my programs under my start button, but there was no uninstall button, just a link to their website and an explanation of what Gain publishing was.    I have windows millenium on my computer - that is my operating system.  
       Is it possible to delete it by right clicking on the Gain icon and then clicking on the delete button?  

Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 03:25:18 AM »
You almost never see something like Gain in the installed application list since it normally comes bundled with other software. So find out what software you have installed that had it included and remove that. After doing so make sure you clean your system properly. (follow the instructions on the page in my signature)

IBCrazy

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 05:26:52 PM »
I did not forget to include that - when installing the 3rd party program or the GAIN supported application you are told that you will receive ads for the free service.  Anyone that reads the install knows that...I suggest not clicking through the install and read it to see what exactly you get because all programs seem to be bundling now days.

Before uninstalling you need to find out what GAIN supported application is installed.

This is off the GAIN Publishing site:

http://www.gainpublishing.com/global/help/gainfaq.html#6

You can also view a list of GAIN supported applications installed on your computer by clicking on the Windows Start button, selecting Programs, GAIN Publishing, and then About GAIN Publishing. When the About GAIN window opens, click on the What is GAIN tab, and then on the link for displaying a list of GAIN supported products.
Note: The above wording may be slightly different depending on which version of GAIN is installed.

If the program is not listed in the Add/Remove or it does not list what is installed you might contact their tech support for further assistance.

http://www.gainpublishing.com/global/help/contact_support.html