Author Topic: help! I got a trojan 32 virus!  (Read 5882 times)

zephyrs

help! I got a trojan 32 virus!
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:37:59 PM »
Hi!   From a helpless soul attacked suddenly by a virus!
I ran Avast, and the siren came on, saying I have a win32 trojan-gen virus.   I clicked all of the buttons that offered any method of getting rid of it but it always claimed that it wasn't possible to remove that file.    What do I do?   Thanks.
                      Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:help! I got a trojan 32 virus!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 11:51:27 PM »
Please do not start a new thread with the same issue you already have posted. There is no need for it and it will only lead to confusion.

Everyone who read this please procede HERE

smejo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 08:28:21 PM »
Hi
I have the same problem with Win32:Trojan-gen
If you find any solution how to get rid of it please let me know to my e-mail add smejo@chello.sk
Thanx.
V.

yaz

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 09:37:09 PM »
My apologies I started a thread not realizing there was one. Is it the same for us both? I can't get rid of mine.
yaz

yaz

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:42:42 PM »
Trend Micro has been runnning and it is hanging on C:/Recyclers/S-1-5-18/DC1.exe and I can't locate that file, neither can Avast.
I am going to try the Bit Defender but my system is working badly so I hope it will work.
yaz
Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 09:45:12 PM »
smejo, we do not give help by email. Keep it in the forum. Others can benefit from the solution we provide also. And they can't if we do it by email.

yaz, read again. I was talking to zephyrs. Your problem will be solved in the thread you started yourself.

zephyrs

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 01:33:01 AM »
Hi!    I did what I could think of, to find the files associated with the virus.    I did it by clicking on the search button under the start button, and selecting "C" files, and typing in "gstartup@ink"   and then hit the select button and then the delete button.   I also  deleted the Gain plublishing icon.  And them emptied my trash.   I ran Avast through, without difficulty.    But now, I did it again, and the siren comes on as before, telling me of the presence of the virus - so I know it is still there.     What else should I do to try to figure out what other files are associated with it that I missed deleting?    
                                         Debby

zephyrs

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 01:52:01 AM »
Hi!    I just clicked on the search button, and typed in "Gain Publishing"   and there were two titles in there, and I deleted them and ran Avast afterwards.   It ran fine, so maybe the problem is fixed now.
           Thanks.
                                         Debby

zephyrs

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »
Hi!   I guess it still is not removed as Avast informs me that it is still there.
        I just downloaded adaware, but I think their services cost, so I couldn't get rid of the virus.    But it told me what they found on my machine related to the Gain publishing virus:
Gator/Claria/IEG HKEY_Classes_root/ClSID/  21 REGKey
Gator/Claria/IEG HKEY_local_machine/sofware/C-RegKey
Gain HKEY_localmachine/software/mRegValue
      The two first ones are labelled as being "severely dangerous."
       How do you suggest getting rid of them?
                           Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 02:03:38 PM »
Ad-Aware SE is freeware for personal use.

About those reg keys. Delete them manually or let Ad-Aware or Spybot s&d take care of it.