Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1198 **  (Read 189893 times)

Jack 1000

Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - 6.0.1184 **
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:08 AM »
Here is some information about Credit Alert:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ID-Watchdog-Inc-Partners-accesswire-3313598591.html?x=0&.v=2

Please let it remain optional, with the easy ability to turn it off and not see pop-ups that it is turned off.  Than, I will stay happy with Avast.

Jack

DBone

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »
I am not now, nor will I ever be the least interested in Credit Alert's services. As long as there is a way to either do a custom install, or simply uncheck a box in the settings to disable all alerts from Credit alert, then I am good. But if for one second, I as a paid user have to put up with pop-ups, banners or any other crap from a 3rd party company, I will immediately uninstall avast! and eat the 3yrs remaining on my subscription..........I am less then thrilled with this.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:59:26 AM by DBone »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 03:59:43 AM »
I am not now, nor will I ever be the least interested in Credit Alert's services. As long as there is a way to either do a custom install, or simply uncheck a box in the settings to disable all alerts from Credit alert, then I am good. But if for one second as a paid user, I have to put up with pop-ups, banners or any other crap from a 3rd party company, I will immediately uninstall avast! and eat the 3yrs remaining on my subscription..........I am less then thrilled with this.
Well... If I knew I'll get popups, well, I will never say good things about this new feature either ;D
The best things in life are free.

hayc59

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 04:24:25 AM »
Duper so sorry charlie ;)

hayc59

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
• Introduced new CreditAlert feature (US customers only)
this feature in the free version?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:43 AM »
Hi,

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "CreditAlert" feature (US customers only)?

Thanks in advance,
T.

Hi Tetsuo,

you can find more information about the CreditAlert feature here:
http://www.avast.com/lp-credit-alert#tab2-1

Basically we will be offering 2 products:
CreditAlert Free  - monitors your credit report and notify via avast! if any change occur
CreditAlert Premium - monitoring + gives you a full access to your credit report + credit scores, from the 3 US credit bureaus (price is set to $9.95/month)

This product(feature) is provided with our partner company ID Watchdog.

Hi Martin,

Just wondering to know whether those features also can used by Indonesian user as well?

And when thiss feature we can see in avast features?

cheer,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »
It seems that two things are worth explaining:

1. The missing "process" information in the virus alert toaster. This is actually an unintended omission (a bug) - the process information should indeed be there, and will be there in the final version.

2. CreditAlert. I see a lot of discussion about this feature, and also some confusion (probably resulting  from a lack of information from our side). So, let me explain it in a few sentences now. CreditAlert is a completely voluntary service that you actually have to sign up for. The sign up process includes providing part of your social security number as well as a verification of your identity (we don't want other people to be receiving your credit alerts - so as part of the sign up process, you could be asked some tricky question that no one else can answer (similar to e.g. setting up an account in some banks etc)). This basically answers the concerns about the feature being "pushy" (or prominently presented in the avast UI) - it's actually the opposite, you will have to produce some non-trivial activity to enable the feature. Now, once you sign up, you will get an alert whenever your credit changes in a suspicious way. The optional paid version will then allow you to review all the changes in a high level detail, as well as to take some remediation actions if needed.

Now, we fully understand that the feature is not directly related to AV protection, and that the feedback on including this feature into avast may not be 100% positive. But we still thought it might be an interesting value-add for some of our users. We also tried to craft it so that it's pretty much invisible in the UI unless you actually go through the sign-up process.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:22:44 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

DBone

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
Thanks Vlk! That is really good news regarding the invisibility of CreditAlert within the program, unless the user specifically signs up for it. Your product is top notch from free to AIS, and I was worried about changes for the worse.............I should've had more confidence in avast! ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
1. The missing "process" information in the virus alert toaster. This is actually an unintended omission (a bug) - the process information should indeed be there, and will be there in the final version.

Great. :)
Thanks for the info,
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »

I disabled the CreditAlert popups in the Settings without registering for it.  Will my Avast install contact ID WatchDog in any fashion during my normal browsing, or when I access my online financial institutions?

No, and even if you use the CreditAlert service no information is sent from your PC to ID Watchdog. The information flow is: Credit Bureaus -> ID Watchdog -> avast!

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »

Hi Martin,

Just wondering to know whether those features also can used by Indonesian user as well?

cheer,

Hi Yanto,

this feature is available in US only so far. Martin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
I am having a problem.  I installed the new update of avast yesterday as it requested I do so.  After that my computer froze and I had to restart. It still froze.  I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled the new avast.  Problem fixed.  But how can I make it work?  I want to use avast I have been using the free program for years.  I am running windows 7  any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest you do a clean reinstall of the pre-release version or the current 6.0.1125 version (and wait for the regular release). Personally I would go for a clean install of the 6.0.1184 build.

- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1184 link on first post and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

Hi Martin,

cheer,

Hi Martin and Ondrej,

Thanks for all of your explanations.

Know i bit understand about Avast! CreditAlert feature offerings.

cheers,

Hi Yanto,

this feature is available in US only so far. Martin
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Jack 1000

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
It seems that two things are worth explaining:

2. CreditAlert. I see a lot of discussion about this feature, and also some confusion (probably resulting  from a lack of information from our side). So, let me explain it in a few sentences now. CreditAlert is a completely voluntary service that you actually have to sign up for. The sign up process includes providing part of your social security number as well as a verification of your identity (we don't want other people to be receiving your credit alerts - so as part of the sign up process, you could be asked some tricky question that no one else can answer (similar to e.g. setting up an account in some banks etc)). This basically answers the concerns about the feature being "pushy" (or prominently presented in the avast UI) - it's actually the opposite, you will have to produce some non-trivial activity to enable the feature. Now, once you sign up, you will get an alert whenever your credit changes in a suspicious way. The optional paid version will then allow you to review all the changes in a high level detail, as well as to take some remediation actions if needed.

Now, we fully understand that the feature is not directly related to AV protection, and that the feedback on including this feature into avast may not be 100% positive. But we still thought it might be an interesting value-add for some of our users. We also tried to craft it so that it's pretty much invisible in the UI unless you actually go through the sign-up process.

Thanks
Vlk

This answered a lot of my questions!  Thanks Vlk!

Jack

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »

I disabled the CreditAlert popups in the Settings without registering for it.  Will my Avast install contact ID WatchDog in any fashion during my normal browsing, or when I access my online financial institutions?

No, and even if you use the CreditAlert service no information is sent from your PC to ID Watchdog. The information flow is: Credit Bureaus -> ID Watchdog -> avast!

MartinZ,
Your explanation is assuring.  I, and I'm guessing many others, wouldn't want even a security program looking over our shoulders (especially if we'd opted not to enlist) when we're engaged in financial transactions.  Thank you for this information.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner