Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1198 **  (Read 189887 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - 6.0.1184 **
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »
I don't fully agree with this. Avast clearly (at least partially) offers the free version as a means of making people aware of them and of how good their products are. Then they hope that some of those people will decide to upgrade to the full or pro versions. It's a form of advertising.
Sure. The final objective is conquering another pro user.
But you can't say they're pushing the free version making it better.
You can't trough a stone just because make it better and better and call it bloatware.
You can say the major competitor of avast pro is avast free.
The best things in life are free.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:17 AM »
since installing the ais beta i got this browser(chromium)on my desktop?is this the safezone shortcut?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:13 AM »
since installing the ais beta i got this browser(chromium)on my desktop?is this the safezone shortcut?
Yes... I've thought this bug was already solved... It is resurrecting :P

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
so when i open that chromium shortcut and do online banking thats using safezone,everything in that browser is isolated from the system correct?tech you say a bug im guessing its not supposed to be there?i would love a safezone shortcut instead of the gadget,thanks bri

sandeep108

« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
I went through some of the posts partly in reply to my post and others' views. Some of them quite immature - do not use it, switch to another AV, etc.

I am making my view known as a paid customer. I and I am sure many others chose avast! as it was a light fast av which did its core job very well. Its resources have been compromised by these additional (and in my view unnecessary features). Avast had huge issues with Dell with initial v6 because of this bloat and some friends did switch to AVG.

I still feel that webrep, credit check, etc. types of features do lead to bloat. After all the code is already installed on my PC, since all I have to do is check a box in the UI. It is not a matter of 10k or 1g.

If at all these features or 'enhancements' for those who want them must be made available as add-ons or plug-ins or better still even as separate programs.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
Bloat this, bloat that. It's not bloat if you can uncheck it during install, these features don't significantly change the size of installer, so how can it be so called "bloat" ?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »
I went through some of the posts partly in reply to my post and others' views. Some of them quite immature - do not use it, switch to another AV, etc.

I am making my view known as a paid customer. I and I am sure many others chose avast! as it was a light fast av which did its core job very well. Its resources have been compromised by these additional (and in my view unnecessary features). Avast had huge issues with Dell with initial v6 because of this bloat and some friends did switch to AVG.

I still feel that webrep, credit check, etc. types of features do lead to bloat. After all the code is already installed on my PC, since all I have to do is check a box in the UI. It is not a matter of 10k or 1g.

If at all these features or 'enhancements' for those who want them must be made available as add-ons or plug-ins or better still even as separate programs.
I believe you have had your explainations over your so called views on bloatware, as igor mentioned the coding is about 10Kb and without being activated its using no resources and even if it were activated avast would still be using far less resources than any other av so if your not happy with it your free to change to another av because i dont think avast is going to change just for a couple of people who dont know what there talking about, good luck.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
new build ??? ;)

My source told me not today, but maybe tomorrow.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
so when i open that chromium shortcut and do online banking thats using safezone,everything in that browser is isolated from the system correct?
No. You're just opening a browser but NOT the SafeZone.
SafeZone needs special opening using the avast icon (I never used the gadgets).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
I still feel that webrep, credit check, etc. types of features do lead to bloat.
Not everybody thinks this way.
A quote of Wilders:

Quote from: cm1971
At least they are moving forward. Certain other AV's seem to have stagnated. I just recently started using Avast 6 on a laptop and really like it so far.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=302158

US51

« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Bloatware is a term that had meaning when HDD's were 20gb or less and RAM 128mb or less...Processer speed measured in Mega rather than Giga...Programs today are built to take advantage of the greatly expanded resources of modern computers...Computers which are being used by people who are far different than the original hobbyists and techies which used to be the "normal" computer user...

These days people who are not "experts" in computerese want something they can set and forget to take care of their PC's security...They are not interested in hacks and workarounds...They just need it to work...People are demanding all in one solutions that they don't have to mess with...Thus the outmoded "bloatware" term comes out of the ancient past...Everything is bloatware compared to 10 years ago...If you want a program to do all these things it's gonna be big...and it's gonna have a flashy GUI compared to the old "command line"...Because that's what the new "normal" user wants...

btw...the new beta is working fine for me...seems to not drag down the startup like before...Congrats!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:32:19 PM by US51 »

rambo1940

« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
new build ??? ;)

My source told me not today, but maybe tomorrow.

Greetz, Red.

Thanks for keeping us informed
Regards

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
that clears it up for me,thanks tech

so when i open that chromium shortcut and do online banking thats using safezone,everything in that browser is isolated from the system correct?
No. You're just opening a browser but NOT the SafeZone.
SafeZone needs special opening using the avast icon (I never used the gadgets).

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »
OK, I don't want to start a fire again, but...  ;D I hope firefighters are ready  ;D Igor, any ideas why I've got this one? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80315.msg659695#msg659695 I had no BSOD's until beta.
this bsod was related to utorrent changes in the latest beta, it should be fixed now..

One more today - the same problem, I think avast and utorret 3.0 stable (build 25406). I hope it will be fixed with next beta update...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:54:35 PM by =YLAP= »

street_lethal

« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
It would be nice if Avast worked on improving their detection rates and stopped worrying about ID theft and website reputations. I've been using Avast for a long time and I've seen it change and improve, but I have no use for the WebRep plugin(yes I have it disabled)or the credit feature they want to include(yes I'll disable that also, or not register). Some people like it, whatever floats your boat.