Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1198 **  (Read 189904 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - 6.0.1184 **
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
One more today - the same problem, I think avast and utorret 3.0 stable (build 25406). I hope it will be fixed with next beta update...

Second one... That's it, uploading memory dump to FTP. Twice a day is too much  ;D Just went for cold tea, and what I see -  good morning, Blue  ;D ;D

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
One more today - the same problem, I think avast and utorret 3.0 stable (build 25406). I hope it will be fixed with next beta update...

Second one... That's it, uploading memory dump to FTP. Twice a day is too much  ;D Just went for cold tea, and what I see -  good morning, Blue  ;D ;D

not needed, we already got your 2 minidumps -- this bug was fixed today, sorry!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
not needed, we already got your 2 minidumps -- this bug was fixed today, sorry!

Damn  ;D Great news, can't wait for update ;)

thesilentman

« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »
I have not tried this beta yet, but is it's Webrep plugin supporting the new Firefox 5? FF5 is already out a week now.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
I have not tried this beta yet, but is it's Webrep plugin supporting the new Firefox 5? FF5 is already out a week now.

Yes, it works... perfectly here  ;D

thesilentman

« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »
Ok, thanks mate :)

sandeep108

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
It would be nice if Avast worked on improving their detection rates and stopped worrying about ID theft and website reputations. I've been using Avast for a long time and I've seen it change and improve, but I have no use for the WebRep plugin(yes I have it disabled)or the credit feature they want to include(yes I'll disable that also, or not register). Some people like it, whatever floats your boat.
Exactly my point. I have webrep disabled and the ID/credit issue does not apply to me. But I read so many posts of PCs being infected inspite of having avast! installed with a standard response of an av cannot catch everything. So I would rather avast concentrate all their resources on virus/threat detection to improve the product instead of adding these features.

Webrep has taken so many program iterations to get it finally working reasonably and now FF5 is released so avast has to work on that. Same with sandboxing / safezone. Sandboxie was always there for people who wanted to browse sandboxed. I do not want it in my AV. So avast resources are being diverted for all this instead of improving detection / heuristics.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
That's a rather funny idea.
The detections / heuristics is worked on by the virus lab, while the program features are added/maintain by the (basically unrelated) team of developers - a different group of people, different skills. So if you think that not adding new features would have any effect on the detection... sorry, it wouldn't.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:34:01 AM by igor »

gillest

« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
The detections / heuristics is worked on by the virus lab, while the program features are added/maintain by the (basically unrelated) team of developers - a different group of people, different skills. So if you think that not adding new features would have any effect on the detection... sorry, it wouldn't.

I guess the point here is that one could hope that redirecting some of these program features developers resources to work on better detections in the virus lab would make more sense.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »
So I would rather avast concentrate all their resources on virus/threat detection to improve the product instead of adding these features.
And what people think avast team is doing? ???

Webrep has taken so many program iterations to get it finally working reasonably and now FF5 is released so avast has to work on that. Same with sandboxing / safezone. Sandboxie was always there for people who wanted to browse sandboxed. I do not want it in my AV. So avast resources are being diverted for all this instead of improving detection / heuristics.
I won't expect that software improvement requires interaction. Comes and goes...
Sandboxing the browser is a very good protection measure and will add a lot for the users.
By the way, as usual, avast is very very customizable. You will be able to run your browser out of the sandbox if you want, no problem.
The best things in life are free.

dagrev

« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »
Still working good so far.  Page loading is a little slow compared to a few days ago, but that most likely is not an avast issue.  (Firefox was updated about the same time this and could be several other options as well.)

I would like to see a quick scan option in the taskbar icon for a few less clicks to run on.  Yeah, I'm that lazy.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »

I guess the point here is that one could hope that redirecting some of these program features developers resources to work on better detections in the virus lab would make more sense.

As I said - different people, different skills.
If you were in charge of a hospital and wanted to improve the dental care there - would you redirect your surgeons to help with that? (or vice versa, doesn't really matter)

thesilentman

« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

As I said - different people, different skills.
If you were in charge of a hospital and wanted to improve the dental care there - would you redirect your surgeons to help with that? (or vice versa, doesn't really matter)

This example has also another option, though :) , which I would choose If I was running the hospital.

Of course I would NOT send brain surgeons to do dental surgery. That's not their stuff. But if the Hospital's main reputation and objective would be dental surgery, I would invest more money to that department instead into the brain surgery department. It's important to always keep getting better in order to keep your reputation and quality. Other hospitals are not standing still. They have excellent Dentists, too!! ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
The virus lab is certainly hiring new people, and I don't think they're being put behind if any equipment is needed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:48:16 PM by igor »

nord

« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Just wanted to add that I like Avast a lot... I used to only use Norton, but that became true bloatware (for a while) and although they've improved it a lot, I had moved away... went to TrendMicro for a little bit, then the 3 A's... Avg, Avira and Avast... At the end of the day, Avast was the one for me. I still use 4.8 on my wife's computer for now, (little netbook) where an even smaller footprint is a good thing.

Whenever Avast settles down to its 6.1 release, I'll  buy the pro version. V6 is really quite impressive when compared to 4.8, so somebody is doing something right and System Explorer doesn't hate the memory footprint, so...