Author Topic: avast 4.5 new features  (Read 67035 times)

le_teto

Re:avast 4.5 new features
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2004, 05:30:31 PM »
OOPS  :P
I understood why happening in the control mail protection  ;D
It's only cause when you change to the 4.5 version, YOU NEED changing loging in your client mail :
Change all name server "127.0.0.1" to the really name "pop.xxxxxxx.fr"
Change the identifie "xxxxx.yyyyy#provider.fr" to the really identifie "xxxxx.yyyyy@provider.fr"

Thank for changing the control mail, now it's really simple to install  ;)

Enjoy Avast 4.5  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »
One nice little "goody" in 4.5 (got the final this morning) which I don't remember seeing mentioned before, is the addition of access to program setup options from the icon menu, without having to open the program/interface.  Thanks for that one, team.   :)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Bigbassfish1

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2004, 10:06:57 AM »
Hi there

Yes Le teto you have to take the 127.0.0.1 out of the email client program.  
You have to put your pop and smtp info in email client program and my suggestion for sure run Mail wizard for Avast.  This is for WIN 98, and WIN 98 se.

laterzzz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2004, 08:09:29 PM »
Could you tell me if this is a bug or sommenthing else cause, with the last version, it was good !

I think it's not related to the changed servers but, anyway, yahoo have some trouble as it is not a pop3/smtp server as far I know. It I'm wrong, it should be a way to get your old configuration back using the value AutoRedirect=0 in section [MailScanner] of avast4.ini file (see here for more details).

If you use AutoRedirect=1 it will allow the automatic mail scanning as it is on avast 4.5 version. Note, if you use spam killer take care that localhost (or 127.0.0.1) connections are not scanned, i.e, the ones between the email program (e.g., Outlook Express) and the spam killer (e.g., MailWasher, K9 or Spamihilator), unless these connections were explicitly configured.

To switch off the automatic mail scan, set this value to 0, this should restore the old behavior (version 4.1) of the Mail protection and Mail Protection Wizard.
The best things in life are free.

SlimJim

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2004, 08:04:14 PM »
I just updated to Avast version 4.5.523 and can not connect to my e-mail client, which is Thunderbird. I get the following error message when attempting to get my mail: could not connect to server 127.0.0.1, the connection was refused. I get a similar message when trying to send a message: could not connect to outgoing SMTP server.    

I have two laptops, one came through update okay, one has a problem. I have Win XP, Home Ed.  Any suggestions on how to correct this problem appreciated. Thank you.

Another question - I cannot find out how to start a new topic on our forum - I had to tag a reply on this post in order to post my problem. I've looked and looked, but can't see how to start a new post.. Help appreciated....Jim

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2004, 08:10:33 PM »
The "avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA" forum will be closed. No new threads are allowed. If you have problems, please look (or post them) in the Avast 4 forum.

cinderian

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2004, 09:15:24 PM »
Hi,  I am wondoring is somewhere there is an Operating Manual, Help Index and Glossary of Terms available.  I have been looking for the last 20 minutes to no avail.  This would be so helpful when configuring the On-Access Protection Settings.  So far setting selections have just been guess work.  When a '?' is available in the top right hand corner, nothing happens when I click, or click and drag it. ::)

::)Also, I was unaware that I was using the new beta version, and thought I had a virus because the new version looked so different.  I unistalled it and then redownloaded the same version from your website.   ???

I am a big supporter of ALWIL Avast AntiVirus.  I have convinced most of my friends and aquaintences to use your products.  Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2004, 01:47:59 PM »
Hi,  I am wondoring is somewhere there is an Operating Manual, Help Index and Glossary of Terms available.  I have been looking for the last 20 minutes to no avail.  This would be so helpful when configuring the On-Access Protection Settings.  So far setting selections have just been guess work.  When a '?' is available in the top right hand corner, nothing happens when I click, or click and drag it. ::)

I tried to do something similar, not exactly, on FAQ in my signature.
Sorry, did not have time for more.

::)Also, I was unaware that I was using the new beta version, and thought I had a virus because the new version looked so different.  I unistalled it and then redownloaded the same version from your website.   ???

We are not on the beta anymore. Now, 4.5.523 is the latest official release.

I am a big supporter of ALWIL Avast AntiVirus.  I have convinced most of my friends and aquaintences to use your products.  Thanks

So do we  ;)

cinderian

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2004, 02:10:41 PM »
thanks for the info.  So then no, a manual or glossary is not available?
I will continue to muddle through.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »
So then no, a manual or glossary is not available?

Can you help me doing it?
Start making a list, send to avast (at) ig.com.br  ;)
Oh, put on address the name Technical to not be killed by my antispam  ;)

cinderian

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2004, 06:46:25 PM »
 ;D you want me to help put it together? ;D  Wow.  What I can do is address the areas that are vaque in meaning or need clarification and then send them to you.  I will give it a try today, at latest, perhaps tomorrow.  Thanks,

fruity

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2004, 08:42:06 AM »
One 'new' feature I have noticed is that it occaisionally scribbles in my outgoing emails when checking it.

For example, instead of :

Virus Database (VPS): 0448-1, 26/11/2004
Tested on: 29/11/2004 22:06:15
avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.

It sometimes writes :

sdn2124 11:24:50
http://www.avast.com"

Any ideas why ?
Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2004, 09:58:12 AM »
Strange... only outgoing mail is affected? (your example says "Inbound message").
What e-mail client and what character encoding do you use? (I mean, do you send e-mails in Unicode, for example?)

fruity

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2004, 11:59:14 AM »
Base 64, Plain Text.
Running OE v6 on XP SP2

Having an empty email body seems to aggravate it too.  Just sent myself an email with no body in it, and recieved :

"
---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0448-1, 26/11/2004
Tested on: 30/11/2004 10:56:58
http://www.avast.com

-as tisIodea e.VuDas(S 412124Tt :010 ::vt-orh( 024LLowe
t/wasc
"

Looks a bit like an unterminated string in this case.

Thoughts please

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »
Do you use the latest build of avast!, right?
I remember there was a similar problem once - but it's been a long time ago...