Author Topic: Avast stopping my computer from awakening from sleep?  (Read 6006 times)

bubblyboo

Avast stopping my computer from awakening from sleep?
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
Hello!

I hope somebody can help me...I'm not sure I'm on the correct forum.

I purchased avast! Internet Security 5.0 back in August last year for my Toshiba laptop. Ever since I installed it I've had problems!

Basically, my computer won't 'wake up' after going into sleep or hibernation mode. So, if my computer has a period of inactivity and goes into sleep mode, I can usually just touch the mousepad or press a key and the computer will wake up. But avast! is stopping my computer from waking up. I end up having to turn my computer off by holding down the power button everytime.

I have uninstalled avast! a couple of times & reinstalled it. When avast! is not installed = computer wakes up?!

I used to have McAfee on my computer but I have completely uninstalled that (not just through add/remove programs but through proper link etc).

I do like avast! and am reluctant to uninstall it completely especially as I've paid for it! But it's frustrating & probably not too healthy for my computer to keep turning it off without shutting down properly.

Please help!

Thank you so much
bubblyboo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast stopping my computer from awakening from sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »
It's difficult to see avast blocking the wake up.
If you just touch the mouse, you're not sleeping nor hibernating, you're just turning off the video.
Sleep or hibernation wake up requires the notebook to be opened or the power button to be pressed.

I bet that McAfee wasn't proper uninstalled, sorry.
The best things in life are free.

bubblyboo

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
Hi,

I'm not sure what else I can do to uninstall McAfee. I went through the proper link etc. Is there a way of telling whether it is this?

You're right - when the computer goes into sleep or hibernation mode and avast isn't installed, I can usually open the notebook or press the power button & it wakes up. But when avast is installed, this doesn't happen.
During a perid of inactivity, the computer screen turns black (apologies for my lack of terminology!) and when avast isn't installed, I can just touch the mousepad and the screen reappears. However, when avast is installed, this doesn't happen. The screen stays black and I have to hold down the power key to turn the computer off completely.

Thank you for any help! It's so frustrating!
Bubblyboo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
I hope some of the avast programmers could take a look on this.
Maybe you need to manually dump the machine to check if anything is going on.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244139/en-us
The best things in life are free.