Author Topic: WebRep needs an update for Firefox 5  (Read 6296 times)

webhybrid

WebRep needs an update for Firefox 5
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
Firefox 5 beta has become available through the program's updater. The Avast WebRep add-on is incompatible, stopping many of us from trying Firefox 5.

Usually it's a simple matter to change the max-version parameter in an add-on. Sometimes a user can do it, but in this case - because there's no standalone .xpi file to work with - the change would have to come from Avast. Could we have this quickly?

Nesivos

Re: WebRep needs an update for Firefox 5
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
I currently use about 22 Firefox Extensions/Addons.

12 of them are not yet and may never be compatible with Firefox 5 which is more of nice to have rather than security enhancement update to Firefox.  All the 22 Firefox Extensions that I am running that are compatible with Firefox 5 are interestingly enough also compatible with Firefox 6.

Right now I am planning to skip Firefox 5 and wait for Firefox 6.   This could change depending on what happens with the Firefox Extensions/Addons that I use that at this time not compatible with Firefox 5.

WebRep should be the last reason for deciding on whether to update to Firefox 5.   WOT is compatible with Firefox 5 and 6.  People here don't think much of WOT compared to WebRep.  However if you go to the Avast forum hated IObit website you will see that WOT shows it as yellow whereas WebRep shows it as solid green. ???
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:50:08 PM by Nesivos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Firefox 5 beta has become available through the program's updater. The Avast WebRep add-on is incompatible, stopping many of us from trying Firefox 5.

Usually it's a simple matter to change the max-version parameter in an add-on. Sometimes a user can do it, but in this case - because there's no standalone .xpi file to work with - the change would have to come from Avast. Could we have this quickly?

I rather doubt that they will be chasing beta builds of any of the currently supported browsers. Changing the maxversion is a hack rather than a solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webhybrid

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
I read that Mozilla notified developers, and almost all my other add-ons (lots of them) were updated for Firefox 5 before the beta appeared, as Mozilla requested. At the moment Avast/WebRep is lagging, IMO. The non-beta of Firefox 5 is scheduled for June 21.

As for WOT, I don't like it (way too intrusive) but do use LinkExtend alongside WebRep.

Regarding hacking, my request was for the actual developers to make the update - not me.

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
I read that Mozilla notified developers, and almost all my other add-ons (lots of them) were updated for Firefox 5 before the beta appeared, as Mozilla requested. At the moment Avast/WebRep is lagging, IMO. The non-beta of Firefox 5 is scheduled for June 21.

As for WOT, I don't like it (way too intrusive) but do use LinkExtend alongside WebRep.

Regarding hacking, my request was for the actual developers to make the update - not me.

Lots of them are updated.  I don't care and neither should any Firefox user care about "lots of them".

The only thing that matters to me with regard to this are the ones that I use and the only thing in this regard that should matter to all users of Firefox are which ones they use.

As of late Friday none of these which I use are compatible with Firefox 5.0 Beta 1.  I checked them one by one at the Firefox Addon website.

Adblock Plus Popup
Beef Taco
Better Privacy
Cutyfox URL
Download Statusbar
E Tab 2 (FF 3.6+ & FF 4+)
Image Zoom
ReminderFox
SimilarWeb
TrackerBlock
Padlock
+ one other I will not disclose

Total of 12 out of my 22 Extensions/Addons not compatible with Firefox 5.0 Beta 1 as of last Friday.

You must have better luck with LinkExtend than I do because my experience is that I have found it buggy and bloated.  I have installed it and uninstalled it a number of times going back to Firefox 3.X and my conclusion is that it is just another junk toolbar. :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:57:20 PM by Nesivos »

webhybrid

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
Here's the thing, Nesivos.

I'm not interested in someone else's opinion about which add-ons I "should" think are important.

I posted only to request that this add-on get updated like so many others have been.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

Doesn't matter who does it, it is a hack, rather than ensuring the extension complies and is in fact compatible with firefox 5, I still think it is pointless chasing beta builds. whilst I'm sure they will be monitoring the situation and when the development is frozen as in late RC version when it is known there would be no feature changes which could need an update to the webrep again.

That is after the whole hassle of using beta software, you have to accept that it has limitations, this is one of them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webhybrid

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
Following kranazoli's suggestion - thanks - about the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, WebRep is now working well, as far as I can tell, in the Firefox 5 beta I have.

Regarding DavidR's opinion about "chasing" betas, we simply disagree. I see an add-on update as being a trivial matter, usually anyway, and beta users have been accommodated quickly by thousands of other add-on developers.

[HUN]kranazoli

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »
Following kranazoli's suggestion - thanks - about the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, WebRep is now working well, as far as I can tell, in the Firefox 5 beta I have.

Regarding DavidR's opinion about "chasing" betas, we simply disagree. I see an add-on update as being a trivial matter, usually anyway, and beta users have been accommodated quickly by thousands of other add-on developers.

Your Welcome! :)

Fox4 beta is more than just an beta application and more important than Avast WebRep. ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »
FireFox 5 has been leeked through Mozilla's ftp server. You can get it already.

linux731

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
It's not up to Mozilla. Also, FF 5 hasn't even come out at all. So, hold your horses until it comes out, wait for Avast to update WebRep, and we'll all live happily ever after.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
It's a matter of minutes to FF 5 to be out :)
The best things in life are free.

gursestemizlik

Re: WebRep
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
a kind of reason does not appear in the safe sites are still by my avast webrep.

http://www.gursestemizlik.com