Author Topic: question about avast  (Read 3733 times)

Omar

question about avast
« on: October 23, 2004, 02:26:58 PM »
I often find that when i get avast to scan my computer c drive (not a boot time scan) after a while my computer goes quite slow. For example, if i minimize a programme, it takes a few seconds to do this etc. I don`t have this trouble with online scanners or when I used to use AVG.

Why does this happen? Also avast scans take up to 1hr to finish on my computer, online scans seem to take pehaps 25-30 mins.

Can anything be done to speed up the scan times?

I am using XP home edition, SP2. I`m using avast home edition.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:question about avast
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 02:43:39 PM »
Well it depends. Standard scan on my machine takes around 15minutes (200GB Maxtor drive 7400RPM 8MB cache and 512MB DDR RAM). I have ~100GB of data on this drive. I'm using Standard scan without Archive scanning. Also no problems with Windows usage while scanning.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 02:56:56 PM »
Like RejZor I get a similar result on my standard scan no archives. You will obviously need to set the scan sensitivity to suit your system and run it at a time when it is not going to interfere with your usage of your system.

Let us know more about the system (HDD size, data size, etc.) and your scan settings.

When did you last defragment your HDD? A fragmented HDD can slow all types of program, moreso those that analyse files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Omar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:05:06 PM »
sorry, i should have meant, it takes 1hr to do the thorough scan, that is what cuases my comp to run really slow.

The memory on my computer is 1020mb
Hard Drive 160gb.

I ran disk defragmenter about 3 weeks ago.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 03:34:01 PM »
That sounds about right for a thorough scan (although you didn't state how much data was on the HDD). With archives scanned I would say that was good, but I would have thought it would be more to scan archives as well.

The thorough scan is a much more in depth scan, more so than AVG's scan, which if I remember didn't give you any options as to the sensitivity of scan.

I would suggest that you either reduce the sensitivity or don't start the scan when you are going to be trying to do any heavy work on your system.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 03:35:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 05:21:57 PM »
Why don't you send the scanning to backgroud, right click the skin while scanning and choose the proper option.
You can continue working with scanning at low speed and resources consumption... Oh, start it early because it will take more time.

Other possibility, let scanning during the night (when you're not working...)  ;)
The best things in life are free.