Author Topic: INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA  (Read 109259 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2004, 06:01:17 PM »
You're probably right... report that to Alwil team, and I'm sure they will fix it...  I'm not 100% sure, but my father also was unable to see avast! stamps when he used signatures in his Outlook Express. He still uses Win 98 SE. Is this in any case somehow related to your example ?

P.S. I'm glad you fixed your first problem...

SirHarrySmith

« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2004, 08:30:33 PM »
Have just changed to 4.5 Beta. No problems re installation.
seems to be running quicker.

The main thing is that I am now able to run Firetrust Benign again to check mail - which I couldn't do with 4.1

An excellent product -- which I only found because a friend had problems with AVG 6 on a recent upgrade. Uninstalling AVG and installing avast and the problem was gone.

Will be recommending avast in future

John

galen

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2004, 12:13:57 PM »
You're probably right... report that to Alwil team, and I'm sure they will fix it...  I'm not 100% sure, but my father also was unable to see avast! stamps when he used signatures in his Outlook Express. He still uses Win 98 SE. Is this in any case somehow related to your example ?

P.S. I'm glad you fixed your first problem...

It would seem exactly the same as your father's problem. I've repeated the procedure several times on two different machines, and signing the message with an X.509 stops the stamps every time. I'll have to have a look into how the certificates are added to the messages - I'm not very technical, so it may be too much for me. However, X.509 signing also breaks Newshound - another program I use - so it would appear that it's something that gets missed by programmers quite often. I assume that the Alwil team will read this, but should I notify them direct. do you think?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2004, 12:28:40 PM »
Yeah, just point Pavel's, Vlk's, Igor's or Lukor's attention to this thread, although I'm sure they already saw this one... they are so good, just wait a little bit... you'll see... there is too much requests in the same time, they are not ETs  ;D, so we have to give'em some time...

Don't worry, everything is under control...

Have a nice day !

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2004, 01:03:28 PM »
Galen, isn't signing supposed to verify the authenticity of your message? And that means that the recipient might be sure that it was YOU who wrote it and that no one modified it on it's way - and unfortunately 'no one' also excludes avast!  :(

Wouldn't adding the 'clean stamp' break your signature?

Bye
Lukas.

bhtooefr

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2004, 02:26:37 PM »
I must say that I've wanted a skinless interface for a while now. See, I like low resource stuff, and stuff that follows Windows UI guidelines. I've disabled themes.exe on my system to get the resources down (and it's got enough horsepower to handle it - themes.exe isn't necessary for anything, though, so I disable it). I REALLY like the new skinless Avast, but one thing I'd like to see - I'd like everything accessible from the main form without touching menus, like it is in the default skin. Also, I'd like to be able to select the skinless UI as a skin, so that I can use it by default.

Sasha, the skinless interface certainly isn't meant as "dispraise" of your skins!
The fact is that some people really need it (e.g. blind or otherwise disabled people who need to control the program with the keyboard through special programs that require standard windows interface).
I.e. it's not supposed to be used very often... but it's nice to have the option.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2004, 04:38:21 PM »
I REALLY like the new skinless Avast, but one thing I'd like to see - I'd like everything accessible from the main form without touching menus, like it is in the default skin.

Well, all options can't fit in just one window. There is no space... We need menus or, at least, a skinless version with several tabs of options  :-\
If we take more, we won't have even a program running...  :P

Also, I'd like to be able to select the skinless UI as a skin, so that I can use it by default.

If you select the 'skinless' option on the Common page it will be your default option and no skins will be used when you start avast.
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2004, 05:04:31 PM »
Hehe, why don't we just go back to DOS  ::)

Cutting all those things in Windows and saying that they just take system resources, is like saying "DOS rulez". Well, we all migrated from DOS to some OS with GUI, just because of the fact that it's much easier to work if you have good looking and useful shell (GUI)... Well, of course you can't run Windows XP on some 386 or 486 computer, and of course some faster and better computer is required as well as enough RAM memory...

If you have at least 256 (512 Mb recommended) and one of those newer computers, you are OK. There is really no need to disable UXTHEME.dll.

As Technical said, there is no chance to put all those options on only one screen... impossible... unless we use tabs. If we use tabs, it's same as you have menues... so, where is the point ?

So many people is happy because of the skins, some of them are not too happy (it's always like that and it will be)... but I learned with the time, I should always listen those who are happy, and I'm doing that. Best of all, I always listen those who have some complains... as soon as I am aware of some skin issue, I fix it immediately. As a proof, take a look in this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8219;start=30

Bottom line, Alwil made greatest move in avast! skin history... they made skinless option. Having skinless UI as a skin is not possible. One word shuts off another one... but, you can always choose your avast! to start in skinless mode. I guess everyone should be happy now !

Cheers !

« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 06:16:09 PM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2004, 06:31:08 PM »
Hehe, why don't we just go back to DOS  ::)

NO, please  :(

I guess everyone should be happy now !

Let us, the skin lovers,  in peace!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2004, 06:49:26 PM »
Well, Technical... would you like to see skin like this ?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2004, 08:26:10 PM »
Well, Technical... would you like to see skin like this ?  ;D  ;D  ;D

No, I want even less. Do you remember of my ask about a 'minimalist' skin?
I don't want even the panel  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2004, 08:43:46 PM »
Well, I'll give you minimalistic skin... here it is (see attachment):

Note: If someone can't see attachment, that's just because skin is so  minimalistic that it's not possible to see it even under microscope...  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 08:44:29 PM by S.Z.C »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2004, 10:24:57 PM »
Hm,Sasha i think that Status info filed could be made as a dropdown menu or something. It can be resized and you can create a button to show it,or on mouse pass. Its a bit more work to create those scripts,but end effect could be very interesting :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2004, 10:49:26 PM »
Hm,Sasha i think that Status info filed could be made as a dropdown menu or something. It can be resized and you can create a button to show it,or on mouse pass. Its a bit more work to create those scripts,but end effect could be very interesting :)

I asked for this a lot of times...
Sasha and Martin said this is impossible now  :'(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
Well, I dont know and believe me I don't wanna try to spend another 15 hours thinking of way how to do it... too much work for nothing, well it'sa not "nothing", but still. I'm sure so many users would complain regarding "hidden" display area. I made those sliding panels wisible in "waiting" mode once, and everybody jumped on me, why I didn't hide them as in all other skins. I'm talking about Black Liquid skin. I just wanted to make something different, and no one approved that...

Anyway, display area in skin is most important area where we can see all those information. Why would anyone want to hide that area ? I am not aware of any other antivirus program that has something similar...

RejZor - I don't know, but I think there is no chance to mix animated area with display widow area... I could be wrong, but unfortunatelly, I don't have enough time to play with it... my regular job is here every single day, so it could be tricky...  :o

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 11:02:27 PM by S.Z.C »