Author Topic: INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA  (Read 108984 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2004, 12:27:20 AM »
Why would anyone want to hide that area ? I am not aware of any other antivirus program that has something similar...

While scanning I'll love to hide that area, for instance  8)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2004, 12:44:48 AM »
OK, why would you like to hide it ? Isn't much easier to minimize whole skin ?  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2004, 01:45:24 AM »
OK, why would you like to hide it ? Isn't much easier to minimize whole skin ?  ;)

You know, better than I, that minimize is not the same as a little skin. The ability to be small is much more difficult than just be at the bottom of the screen  8)
The best things in life are free.

landsker

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2004, 10:33:17 PM »
Hmm - dummy mode on here!
In the instructions one has to put the html file saved into the Avast set up folder, Is this the same as the program folder, as I cannot see any file which the new one will overwrite!

landsker

« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2004, 10:48:47 PM »
Aha! Dummy mode off. Found it and updated to 4.5 OK

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2004, 12:42:05 AM »
Little correction:

Found it and updated to 4.5 OK

Found it and updated to 4.5 Beta (still test version)  ;)

Cheers !

Offline Chuck58

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2004, 05:14:59 AM »
I'm kind of disappointed. I switched to the beta as soon as I heard about, kept it updated (currently 505) and have no problems to report. Everything has worked perfectly. I have XP Home SP2, 1.3G AMD, 512RAM, with Prevx Free edition also running and Sygate Pro firewall.

I've never run a beta program before that didn't have at least something wrong. Excellent work AVAST Team.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:16:28 AM by Chuck58 »
Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2004, 04:07:39 PM »
Chuck58, I greatly apologize for the problems (or lack of them) :)

BTW a fresh build - 4.5.512 - is now out. It contains some improvements (e.g. an attempt to solve the cosmetic skin / context menu issues). Also, Turkish language modules have been added.

Please feel free to update your installations to it and let us know if there're any problems.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 07:19:55 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rosso_acido

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2004, 07:14:32 PM »
Just got the 4.5.512 build. So far, no problems that I can see.  8)

R. :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2004, 07:35:27 PM »
So Vlk, does that mean that you don't want me to send you all those skins I "fixed" ?

At least, can I send you few skins made by me, because I found some little minor cosmetic issues, of course I fixed them all, and I would like if you can upload those versions to avast! skins download section (if possible). Also, it would be great if you can put some note next to skins... something like "version 2" or something...

Thanks in advance for your respond !

galen

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:07 PM »
Galen, isn't signing supposed to verify the authenticity of your message? And that means that the recipient might be sure that it was YOU who wrote it and that no one modified it on it's way - and unfortunately 'no one' also excludes avast!  :(

Wouldn't adding the 'clean stamp' break your signature?

Bye
Lukas.

Nope - stamping takes place last after the message has been signed - so it shouldn't alter the verified text. PGP signing works just fine with AVAST - it's just X.509 that AVAST can't cope with for some reason. I'm not technical enough to know the difference between the two methods of signing, so that's the best i can tell you.

R

El Tel

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2004, 05:55:21 AM »
Greetings from Venezuela. I am a new user. I just dumped Trend antivirus for incompetent support, but I like what I see from the avast! team - especially the friendly forum. I would like to contribute the following information:

My system:
Win 98 SE
Pentium III - 1 Giga.
256 mb ram
DSL Internet connection
No other firewall/spyware/anti-virus programs installed (They were uninstalled) except WinPatrol.
avast! details:
Version 4.5 Build 4.5.531
Extreme toolkit version 1.9.4.0 (I don't know what this is yet).
Activeskin version 4.2.7.3
VPS File version 0448-0 Compiled 23/11/04

I have experienced the following problems:

Updating: Clicking on either of the "Updating" options produced a small download and installation event, even though the files are up-to-date.

Alerts. Individual tests give the message "Unknown Error - The alert cannot be sent". But "Test all" gives the message "The alert was successfully sent." Where? - I have yet to discover.
Can't edit anything in the alert window.

From Outlook Express I can send emails with No attachments. I cannot send emails With attachments. I attached a simple "test 2" text file. Despite de-activating "scan Outbound Mail", it WAS scanned, and stopped sending. I then get the server message (Translated from Spanish):
"The server terminated the connection unexpectedly. There may be a problem with the server, a network problem, or it may have been inactive for a long time. About 'test 2', Account: 'Terence', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Security (SSL): No, Error number: 0x800CCC0F
There is nothing wrong with the server for any other application.
On-Access scanner control panel shows that the email was scanned under the "Internet Mail" heading.
I used the Mail Protection Wizard to configure (accept) my email accounts.

I CAN send mails with attachments from Outlook without problems. (BTW: Your "Plug-in module" splash window masks the Outlook splash window - Bill Gates might not like that.)
The email and attachment Were scanned despite deactivating the "outbound" scan.

I hope these comments help with development - I hope even more that my system is adequately protected! What, if any, other security software do you recommend to run concurrently with avast! (Freeware is good!)

Good luck with your project.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2004, 06:04:29 AM »
First of all, this forum will be closed soon. For problems/question etc, please use the Avast 4 forum next time.

Updating: Clicking on either of the "Updating" options produced a small download and installation event, even though the files are up-to-date.
That is not a problem, that is by design. Avast needs some info from the server before it can check if your version is up to date or not.

From Outlook Express I can send emails with No attachments.....
Increase the timeout in both OE and avast4.ini and see if it solves the problem

hat, if any, other security software do you recommend to run concurrently with avast!
A good firewall (ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Kerio)
Ad-Aware
Spybot s&d

El Tel

« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2004, 06:27:30 AM »
Thanks Eddy. You're FAST!
Increased the timeout with no improvement.
Sorry about the giant picture. I thought it would be re-sized automatically.
The other issues were:
Alert editing...
Outbound scanning was deactivated but still scans...
Thanks for the software advice. I have those progs, but uninstalled them in case they interfered with avast!.
Regards.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2004, 11:48:54 AM »
Welcome to forum Mister Frio,

Your picture is not resized automaticaly, so please change that into something smaller, let's say 100x100 pixels. As you can see, your posts are shifted to far right hand side of the screen and very difficult to read... especialy, for those who are still on 800x600 pixels. Believe it or not, there are many users, who can not afford better monitors and/or video cards, from all around the globe... You can always read forum policy (button is up there, very easy to find)...

Here is the quote from forum policy:

do not use large pictures in signatures or avatars (mind other users who might have weaker connection and smaller display resolution)

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 01:08:45 PM by S.Z.Craftec »