Author Topic: How to Use Avast  (Read 11416 times)

pittpal

How to Use Avast
« on: October 23, 2004, 06:47:15 PM »
Im using the 60 day trial. I have viruses on my system I'm trying to address. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find any detailed info regarding how to use Avast. For example, when a virus is found, there are 4 options:
Move/Rename, Delet, Repair, More info. How do I determine which option to select?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:How to Use Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 06:52:15 PM »
How about reading the manual?

whocares

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 06:54:53 PM »
Hi,

1st try repair, which will only work in very rare cases, as modern "viruses" -> >Trojans & worms are usually not repairable

if repair doesn't work: chose move to chest
NEVER delete!!, if you don't know what you're doing.. !!

Sometimes this repair/move will work better in SafeMode (F8-Boot) or via avast's Boot-time scan (the latter is only available in Win NT/2000/XP)

and get information about the virus/trojan and proper removal procedures, e.g. read the link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig and use the board-search here

;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 06:58:16 PM »
First do no harm, don't delete as your first option. You might be deleting a system file that has been infected.

So start with Repair, move to Chest, move and lastly Delete.

By moving it to the chest it can be restored/repaired/reported/moved and it gives you time to investigate the reported infection here (search the forums) or post a question.

Start by reading the avast help file and this thread User's FAQ. Take some time browsing the sticky threads (at the top of each forum), get to know the program before you have a problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Imaganation

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 08:34:18 PM »
I received  an IMs  on 10/21 I dident want to open it in fear what ever was wrong with my computer might spread if I  opened it . First I need to now if whocares is for real ? Thanks for the stay calm message But my calms allmost dieing on 10/20 I received a pop up virus warning  telling me I had a trojan on my computer and it couldent be fixed I held on to it .But I lost it when my computer shoot down Im not postive its exact name but here I go   Trojan  o        something to do with a download  and now I cant get my computer to go in safe mode it starts to and than it goes to my main window (e- machine Windows XP only 8 months old Symantec NortonInternet security 2004  Sorry that'll never happen again   ::)      And than I can't type anything  on my computer  Im sending my Angel Wings ~~ ~~  ~~ ~~  To see if you really are for real or just a part of my Imiganation!!  
                               ~~ Imaganation@aol.com~~

pittpal

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 05:19:04 PM »
How about reading the manual?

That's what I'd like to do; where is the manual?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 05:26:13 PM »
start Avast > menu > help
or
start > programs > avast > help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »
For example, when a virus is found, there are 4 options:
Move/Rename, Delet, Repair, More info. How do I determine which option to select?

New version 4.5 has a feature that suggest the best action to be taken when a virus is found ;)
The best things in life are free.

testy

????????????????
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 10:51:03 PM »
Eddy, what is the real point of your being on this board? Rude  answers.  Couldn't you have just told him where to find it? Why not go find some other board to pester.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 10:51:32 PM by testy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:????????????????
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 11:09:28 PM »
Eddy, what is the real point of your being on this board? Rude  answers.  Couldn't you have just told him where to find it? Why not go find some other board to pester.

Testy, don't be angry please. No need for that.
Did you read my previous post? Did you try the 4.5 Beta version?
Could you find the 'manual'?
Anyway, feel free to ask any other question or ask for help.
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re:????????????????
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 12:07:33 AM »
testy:
You're still new here so you havent learned how Eddy answers inquiries.
He likes it when people use a little common sense but, when the chipps are down, and you really need some help, he usually has an answer.
I for one am very glad he's here helping and would defenitly not like him to go some where else. ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

emma

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 02:19:55 AM »
I surely agree with Bob.  I haven't had too many problems but I read many of the Help items.  Eddy has many helpful ideas and sites to visit.  He is often the first one one to respond to new questions and will keep responding to solve a problem.  

BUT that picture of his scares the HEEBIE JEEBIES out of me.  

Yet I am sure he is just a big pussy cat!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 02:02:47 PM »
Ok, that does it. You go over my knee Emma ;D ;D ;D

emma

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 07:04:16 PM »
Promises! Promises!
I repeat:

A Big Pussy Cat
With a Little Growl
And a Lot of Meow

Fast

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 07:41:40 AM »
Does the same to me !  At first I thought Eddy was just another "mrknowitall" who likes to be rude to us "nittwitts".
But then I saw over the months that he's a great guy just trying to help.
But : I agree that the picture is not only scary but also gives me certain ideas of a person.  
@Eddy: is this picture really you, or some moviestar ? ;D
Haven't you got a nice picture or avatar that you can use ?
The atmosphere in this forum is so friendly and nice, your picture doesn't suit here.
Sorry, dont mean to be rude, just my opinion...

Fast.