Author Topic: Scans take 0 seconds to complete  (Read 8836 times)

Mackleosaurus

Scans take 0 seconds to complete
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
When I scan some folders/files the runtime is 0 and it returns a "no threat found".  I have checked my exceptions and removed all of them.  I have checked various forums and found no answer.  It seems to be mostly with video files as some other folders containing things such as pdf and text documents scan properly.

I do have Spybot installed and have not had a problem in the past.  I know some of you will tell me to uninstall spybot, I am unwilling to do this as I like some of its realtime functions, although I did disable teatimer to see if that was the problem (it wasn't).

If it matters I am running windows 7 professional 32 bit.  I have never had a problem with Avast and I have been using the free version for several years.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Mackleosaurus

Re: Scans take 0 seconds to complete
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
I guess I should also note that I have the most up-to-date version of Avast at the time of this posting (6.0.1125).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
It seems that an update with the database has improved the scanning speed http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80315.msg659272#msg659272 and NON's post here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80502.msg659367#msg659367
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:05:39 PM by craigb »

Mackleosaurus

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
Ok I can see an improvement in scan speeds, but how can it scan 8+ gigs in under a second... Sounds too good to be true.  Also the beta is version 6.0.1184, while I have version 6.0.1125.  Although thanks for someone getting back to me so fast I thought I would have to wait days for a response.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:30:08 PM by Mackleosaurus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
It always depend on your settings and what is being scanned ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
Avast can work miracles  ;D
Issues are usually sorted out pretty quick around here in the excellent avast forums.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:34:40 PM by craigb »

Mackleosaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
I have played with the settings and created a couple of custom scans, but it seems that all my video files are scanned in less than a second no matter what.  Even if I scan several gigs at once.

Mackleosaurus

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Okay as a test I scanned 28.4 gigs of video files with both the quickscan (right click scan) and a custom folder scan set to be as thorough as possible.  Both were completed in 0 seconds, I admit to not being the most knowledgeable when it comes to scanning software but I have difficulty seeing how Avast could scan that 28 gigs of data that quickly, unless it is only scanning a tiny portion of each file. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
I have played with the settings and created a couple of custom scans, but it seems that all my video files are scanned in less than a second no matter what.  Even if I scan several gigs at once.
Right click the folder and choose it to be scanned into Windows Explorer.
You can set to a result window to appear also.

Mackleosaurus

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »
Right click the folder and choose it to be scanned into Windows Explorer.
You can set to a result window to appear also.

I am not sure on the wording but I believe I have done this:

1. right click on the folder(s)
2. click on "scan selected items for viruses" (has the little avast pic beside it)

I do have it set to show a results window, I have attached a screenshot of the results windows if that helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Are you sure there is nothing in the exclusion list?

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
If you have set the scan to "store data in persistence cache", and do not add any new files to that folder the result would be 00.00 time. That is what happens in my case.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
If you have set the scan to "store data in persistence cache", and do not add any new files to that folder the result would be 00.00 time. That is what happens in my case.
Living and learning... Can Mack confirm that?

Mackleosaurus

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
I definately have no exclusions and I have unchecked the "store data persistent cache" and all other options that store data from previous scans to make the following scans faster.  i.e. all my scans are slower but more thorough
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:27:26 PM by Mackleosaurus »

kubecj

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
We did some internal shortcuts inside the engine recently. There can't be 'classic virus' inside video files. In the past, we scanned all files on user request by standard signature scan. With newer engine we scan such signatures only in files where it has sense, mostly (not only) executables. Since all of this logic is updated with the VPS, we can switch it on anytime if needed (for example if some very bad exploit gets discovered).

So right now engine does it like 'video? no thanks! video? no thanks...'  8)