Author Topic: Where Does Safe Zone Store Files?  (Read 14704 times)

StarSphere

Where Does Safe Zone Store Files?
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
Now that I'm using Safe Zone to pay my bills more securely, when I download a copy of my bill (in PDF) I can see it in the file directory in Safe Zone.  However, when I switch back to my regular desktop, I can't find the file there.  In fact, I can't find the file anywhere.  And of course, because Adobe is disabled in Safe Zone, I can't view the file there.

Where is Safe Zone storing this file?  What do I have to do to let Avast know that I trust this particular file and want it to open on my normal system?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Where Does Safe Zone Store Files?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
Well I don't have the safe zone feature, but this image extract indicates that you can save the downloads, but that depends on if you turned off the safe zone browser or reset the safe zone.

When you are done, click on the Start menu and select “Turn Off” to close the browser and return to your normal desktop. Your browser settings and any files that you have downloaded will be saved automatically and will be there the next time you open it. If you don't want anything to be saved, click the "Reset SafeZone" button and everything will be deleted. The contents of the SafeZone, including all browser settings, will be reset to their original state.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StarSphere

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »
Yes, I realize that I can save a download, because I did it.  But I can only see the presence of the file when I am IN Safe Zone and I want to know how to access the file when I am NOT in Safe Zone?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Even if you knew where the safe zone area was, I don't believe you can do anything from outside of it as it would be protected. Otherwise there is little point in isolating it from the main system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
To my knowledge you can not move files in/out of SafeZone. That's the point, to keep malicious items away from your main system and inside the SafeZone session.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
Normal sandbox and SafeZone share several configuration settings.. is this option checked? (Additional Protection/Sandbox/Expert Settings/Web browsers -> "Auto detect default locations for saved..."). When checked, everything you download is detected and saved outside sandbox. It should apply even for SafeZone...

I think, I integrated PDF viewer to SafeZone browser and you should be able to open PDF documents there... when you type "about:plugins" in the browser, it will show you list of registered plugins (is there PDF viewer?).

I can't test it right now, because I uninstalled avast from my laptop - so let me please know how it works for you. I'll try to retest it tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »
I can't test it right now, because I uninstalled avast from my laptop
Are you going to Symantec? ;D
Sorry couldn't resist :)
The best things in life are free.

KRAZA

Where Does Safe Zone Store Files?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
@StarSphere here I got the solution to your problem.In fact,if you see me appear here it's because I got the same problem like you and when googled,I came accross this page through your question link on google.I read all the comments trying to find the answer but to no avail.Dispaired I got  back to myself and pondered a while:Oh yes!Eureka!I found it(At the same time I wanted to release it as an answer to your worry but had not signed up for the forum so I instantly did...and you saw me coming right?(lol)).Ok here is the trick:

1==>Maybe should you start by copying this:

C:\## aswSnx private storage\sfzone\image\Users\KRAZA\Downloads

where KRAZA is my user name and C the drive where my avast is installed;it's fine,just replace my data by yours and you'll get the clue.

2==>Otherwise I would suggest what I did to find the directory I just pasted above:
Re-enter the SafeZone and in your browser,click on  the "Tools" button and locate the "Downloads" tab then click it.you should find your files you can't find out of SafeZone;then click on one of them and copy the name(the file name).You got your file name?Ah,here you are!!!
Just go out of the SafeZone and in your computer search box,paste it there.You should find "echo" after a few seconds of search.Enjoy it!!!

Abdul Razak NACOULMA

Offline ozone_1974

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 03:49:59 AM »
Old topic, i know :-\
Outside of the safe zone Avast will not let you see the files you saved on a local drive while in the safe zone. However when you are in the safe zone, you can save your files on a network drive (if you have access to one) and you will be able to see and access them even when you are outside the safe zone.

4n3n1gm4

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:56 AM »
Alternatively you can use an online mail service such as gmail and send yourself the file via email or, in the case of a large attachment compose an email add the attachment then save to drafts then all you have to do is access it through your regular browser just did it and works fine.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
If you set up own sandbox location (see Expert Settings), then sandbox folder isn't hidden by default and you can access sandbox files outside the sandbox. There will be option for easier access (mount sandbox folder as a volume), in next program version.