Author Topic: Can one avast! Update for all other avast installed...??  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Can one avast! Update for all other avast installed...??
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »
Hi community,
      I have a question on behalf of my friends who manages army computers for a division of Indian Army.
The problem is:
 For security reasons only one computer can be connected in one section of the division containing atleast 30 computers.
But if this happens all other antivirus can't be updated.

NOTE: Its really not practical to download the offline update file and deploy because of no pen drive or CD access.

SUGGESTION: Can avast! have some module that will copy the update files to some folder (network folder in this case) and the avast computers can be manually set by me to fetch update files from that folder? Also it should be set it and forget it type of thing.

This will also help those home user people (slow connections) who have to reinstall avast but have old setup file but they have backup update files to update avast very fast.

Any more suggestions are highly appreciated. Currently planning to use Quick Heal (as kaspersky corrupts its database if not look after. My friend already had lot of work due to kaspersky corruption of database)

Thanks
Ashish
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:54:46 AM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can one avast! Update for all other avast installed...??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
I believe that for company usage, such a feature is available (called "mirror") - but it's not present in the end-user editions of the program (Free, Pro, IS), only in the business/network editions.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply

Mirror don't require internet connection? Will it work like I said?

Thanks
Ash
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
The mirror itself probably requires the Internet connection (I really don't know if you can update it offline - I don't know much about it) - but then you can instruct the other workstations to update from the mirror, not from the Internet. So it works basically like you said (though I believe there is no shared folder, the mirror probably "simulates" the behavior of our updating servers).