Author Topic: Can you add a laptop anti-theft feature, this is very important!  (Read 12951 times)

indam

Can you add a laptop anti-theft feature, this is very important!laptop is easy to be stolen,I think avast can solve it.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Re: Can you add a laptop anti-theft feature, this is very important!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
How about laptop tracking feature? Don't know about it...
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
Laptop can still be stolen no matter what avast could do, best to password protect your pc so that if it gets stolen it is not accessible and you can also engrave a security number on to it which would help stopping it being sold. If you look around you maybe able to find tracking chips which can be installed in your system and tracked via GPS.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
Passwords on local computer could be cracked with easy... It took me 1 minute and 37 seconds to crack a 8 digit (alpha numeric) password of Windows 7 last month...
I would take two precautions:
1. Encrypt your data with TrueCrypt (the whole computer or, at least, your sensitive data).
2. Use Prey to monitor the computer if stolen.
The best things in life are free.

DarkMasters

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »
Can you add a laptop anti-theft feature, this is very important!laptop is easy to be stolen,I think avast can solve it.

I don't think it would do you any good. Once your laptop is stolen, the thief can simply format your hard drive and install new OS in it.

Unless you LoJack your laptop there's little chance for you to recover it once it got stolen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 03:04:36 AM »
Unless you LoJack your laptop there's little chance for you to recover it once it got stolen.
Seems Prey is a similar service.
Encryption is the only way to not lose sensitive data.
The best things in life are free.

naviathan

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 12:03:24 AM »
Here's how to safe guard your data and have a better chance of getting your computer back.

1. Encrypt your sensitive data in a TrueCrypt container, not the entire drive.
2. Password protect your account, but keep a guest account active with no password.
3. Use a service like Prey or just use a free for home use remote desktop service like Teamviewer or LogMeIn.

You do NOT want to lock the thief out of your computer completely.  This significantly reduces the likeliness of getting your computer back because if he can't get in, he's more likely to sell it off or reinstall everything to make the computer useful to him.  By only encrypting your sensitive data you allow the thief to use your computer without risking your data.  So long as they're using it you can track it over the internet using one of the above services and possibly get a picture of your thief using the webcam.

DarkMasters

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
Seems Prey is a similar service.
Encryption is the only way to not lose sensitive data.

Yeah Prey is another good alternative for LoJack.

Encryption is indeed a good way to protect your sensitive data from prying eyes. However, there are people who stole laptop for their own personal use or to sell it for money. They don't care about your data and simply wipe your hard drive. So there's little to none of the chance for you to recover the laptop and the encrypted data once it got stolen. In the end, it's another good reason for one to always backup their data.

DarkMasters

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »
You do NOT want to lock the thief out of your computer completely.  This significantly reduces the likeliness of getting your computer back because if he can't get in, he's more likely to sell it off or reinstall everything to make the computer useful to him.  By only encrypting your sensitive data you allow the thief to use your computer without risking your data.  So long as they're using it you can track it over the internet using one of the above services and possibly get a picture of your thief using the webcam.

This would do for a stupid thief. But you're right, since there are many stupid people who stole laptop and using it without 'cleaning' it first. I often read these kind of stories of how people get their stolen laptop back because the thief using it to go online without knowing that his/her location being tracked.

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »
Passwords on local computer could be cracked with easy... It took me 1 minute and 37 seconds to crack a 8 digit (alpha numeric) password of Windows 7 last month...
I would take two precautions:
1. Encrypt your data with TrueCrypt (the whole computer or, at least, your sensitive data).
2. Use Prey to monitor the computer if stolen.

Did you use a Cracker?

Tgell

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
If you have one of the new intel processors with Anti-Theft Technology they can lock the computer so even installing a new hard drive will not allow it to boot. I believe it does require a service provider though.
Hardware strong

Laptops with the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ and 2nd generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processor families with Intel Anti-Theft Technology provide you with intelligent security for lost or stolen laptops.

Because the technology is built into the hardware, Intel AT provides local protection that works even if a thief reimages the OS, changes the boot order, installs a new hard-drive, or stays off the Internet.

Intel AT hardware can detect theft in many ways such as excessive login attempts, failure to do a regular check-in with your server, too much time spent logging in, or through a theft notification received over the Internet from your theft service provider.

Disable your laptop and data

* Intel AT will react to a theft condition by disabling the laptop with a "poison pill" that blocks the boot process.
    * Intel AT can also disable access to encrypted data by deleting essential elements of cryptographic materials that are required to access encrypted data on the hard drive.

http://antitheft.intel.com/how-it-works.aspx
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:14:46 AM by Tgell »

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »
Windows 8 will probably include facial recognition.  I have not seen any specifics on what it will do and how it will work.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20100629221134_Microsoft_Windows_8_Features_Leaked_Instant_On_Facial_Recognition_New_Technologies.html

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
Windows 8 will probably include facial recognition.  I have not seen any specifics on what it will do and how it will work.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20100629221134_Microsoft_Windows_8_Features_Leaked_Instant_On_Facial_Recognition_New_Technologies.html
My laptop has facial recognition already...I can log on by shaking my head at it... ;D ;D
Only problem is, in the minutes that it takes, I could have entered my password numerous times ;)

DarkMasters

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »
Only problem is, in the minutes that it takes, I could have entered my password numerous times ;)

Mine only took 4 to 9 seconds to log me in though you're right, it still faster to type my 18 or so characters password  ;)