Author Topic: Why can't Avast stop XP security virus?  (Read 4558 times)

DarrellS

Why can't Avast stop XP security virus?
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »
I've been hit with this virus 8 or 10 times in the last three months. Every time it has come from searching Google images. I was able to get rid of it the first time using MalwareBytes in safe mode but every time since I have failed. I ran Avast once and it found the virus but after removing the virus, it left Windows unbootable.

The last time, Avast popped a warning but told me not to worry, that everything was OK, that Avast had stopped the threat and two seconds later, the virus was activated and I was forced to install a back-up of my boot drive.

From searching the internet and other forums, it seems to be a very common virus that is getting worse by the minute but I only see one mention of it here and see no plans to try and prevent this virus from attacking.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why can't Avast stop XP security virus?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
....and see no plans to try and prevent this virus from attacking....
you mean there should be a plan posted here..... do other AV do that....post a plan in the forum  ;)

No security program have 100% detection and new variations of these rogues are released every day, yes they look the same but are changed inside to avoid detection

Fake antivirus overwhelming scanners
http://news.techworld.com/security/3203072/fake-antivirus-overwhelming-scanners/

have you tried upgrading your Malwarebytes to PRO version with protection module?
it is a one time fee for a lifetime license

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
What browser are you using.? Internet explorer or firefox ?
This virus exploit can get through adobe acrobat reader older versions less than (10) with a crafted pdf file through any web page or e-mail. If you have Adobe reader installed update to the latest version and disable java scripting in it
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:20:12 PM by bobo1 »

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
Hi Darrell!

Both Pondus & Bobo1 have imparted some excellent info!  As was already mentioned, none of the major AV software programs on the market are going to catch everything.  For them to do so, the heuristics level would have to be set so high, you would end up getting a massive number of false-positives!  Hence, the general recommendations that computer users supplement their existing major AV software with an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes (free or Pro version). 

In your post, you mentioned that you were ONCE able to rid your computer of the malware using Malwarebytes (aka MBAM).  One of the problems with a lot of the ever-increasing fake anti-malware alerts (also referred to as 'scareware') floating around, is the cretins who create them will often enable them to recognize when a computer user is attempting to run the MBAM program.

One of the suggestions I found some time ago was to RENAME the Malwarebytes program file to something like MWB instead, rather than leaving it at the default shown when you go to first install it on your system.

You might also try visiting the bleepingcomputer.com website too.  They also have a wealth of specific "fixes" for specific malware infections.  I can certainly empathize with your situation as I myself have been infected 4 times in the past 4 months by these fake anti-malware alerts too.

At present, I run both the Avast 6 (free version) + Malwarebytes Pro (real-time scanning enabled), and Windows Firewall.  [I used to use McAfee AV (provided by my ISP free), but it is such a system resource hog, it took forever just to get anything accomplished).

Best Regards!  :)

Pete C

kls490

DonZ63

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
Every time it has come from searching Google images

Sounds to me you answered your own question. If your always getting infected using Google, use a different search engine.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
All image searches will lead to this, sooner or later, especially if you are looking for popular content.

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »
Yes and certain malware will automatically alter your browser settings to low and put more malware on the computer. Depends how secure you set your browser. Mine is on the highest setting.
Prompt for downloading active x controls marked as unsafe etc.
Can you access safemode by hitting f8 as the computer is bootingand doing a system restore to the earliest point and scan with malware bytes in safe mode
Malware bytes free will get rid of this problem
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:02:46 PM by bobo1 »

DarrellS

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
Sorry it took so long to post but I was busy trying to get rid of the virus and forgot about the post. I found a thread on it a while back and the trick was to put Malwarebytes on a thumbdrive and install and run it in safe mode. The problem was that the virus kept killing all my security software. I still get warnings about MS security but it's because I have auto updates and firewall turned off and Malwarebytes figured that something changed my security settings but it was me so I put those on ignore. The virus was taken care of by Malwarebytes and I have not had a virus since. Thank you Avast!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
Are you using a third party firewall ? if not why would you turn off the windows firewall.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Sorry it took so long to post
naaa....not that long  (  on: 29 June 2011 )    ;D

The virus was taken care of by Malwarebytes and I have not had a virus since. Thank you Avast!
there may be leftover files....that Essexboy will see if you attach a OTL log

DarrellS

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
Are you using a third party firewall ? if not why would you turn off the windows firewall.

My router has a firewall.