Author Topic: BSoDs & Crashes when using Acronis True Image 14 (2011)  (Read 2815 times)

minardi

BSoDs & Crashes when using Acronis True Image 14 (2011)
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
Hi all!

I am maintaining an old pc (Single Core CPU: AMD Athlon..., 1 Gig ofRAM) of a friend of mine, which I have recently set up from scratch (XP SP3 with all patches). Installing Avast Internet Security 6 (latest version) was the last missing part of this set-up process and I wanted to secure that baseline by making an image of partition c: with Acronis True Image 2011.

The problem is, that the backup of that partition always ends at nearly 55 % in a reboot of the system after crashing it/with a BSoD. After some minidumps I turned off self protection of Avast, turned of all avast services, killed all processes concerned to it and switched to full kernel dumps to take a peek with windebug (all uploaded to your ftp-server as "minardi_dumps20110718.zip") after the prospected crash and aswSP.sys unfolded as the origin of the problem (although Self Protection is switched "off"!).

What can I do to get that backup done, turn off the antiroot-kit functionality of avast ?

Thx-in-advance,
Min.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: BSoDs & Crashes when using Acronis True Image 14 (2011)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
all your 4 dumps are related to invalid memory access (none of them crashed in avast)
firstly, I'd suggest you to retest your memory (www.memtest86.com) at least for several hours

please let me know what you find out, thanks

minardi

Re: BSoDs & Crashes when using Acronis True Image 14 (2011)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
all your 4 dumps are related to invalid memory access (none of them crashed in avast)
firstly, I'd suggest you to retest your memory (www.memtest86.com) at least for several hours

please let me know what you find out, thanks
I let Memtest86 cycle for 5 hours (unattended) and 1 hour sitting beside it and there were NO errors at all!

I had access to the machine today and I am just loading the full kernel dump up as  "minardi_mem_dump20110721.zip" to your ftp-server, this is the one with the aswSP.sys-crash.

Cheers,
Min.