Author Topic: Avast! moves to Cloud....???!  (Read 14870 times)

Harikrishnan

Avast! moves to Cloud....???!
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »

Hi  Vlk,

In an interview to CNET you said " by the year 2012, Avast! will be moving at least some of its threat definitions to the cloud";

"Additionally, Avast is looking at running your browser in its auto-sandbox by default. Since just after the release of version 5, we haven't seen anything bypass the sandbox".

---- - - - ----

If so, what will be the future of Avast! users without broadband connection (if it reduces database updates in future)..?

Did you mean an Avast! free user will be able to run their browser in Autosandbox..!?
(I'm ready to throw sandboxie... ;))

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast! moves to Cloud....???!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
If you are still on a slow connection (Dial-up or slow DSL) then you would still be protected with the daily database updates. In most AV products the cloud protection is usually an additional layer of protection against unknown threats.

You should be able to run your browser in the sandbox in version 6. Right click your browser then choose run in sandbox.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
In most AV products the cloud protection is usually an additional layer of protection against unknown threats.
Precisely. I won't expect a different behavior from avast.

I think Vlk is saying the sandbox could be, somehow, moved from the pro to the free version.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
Some people are saying that this recent stuff we have seen from LulzSec and others may mean a delay in implementation, or even the death of cloud technology. People will be very reluctant to have their data more accessible and less private.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
That looks cool  :o. Cloud will be soon in version 6 or later in 7?
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Harikrishnan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Don't know 6 or 7... But according to vlk it will be in first quarter of 2012..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »

In version 7.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

In version 7.
OK Can't wait for version 7  ;D
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

0strodamus

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:31 PM »
Some people are saying that this recent stuff we have seen from LulzSec and others may mean a delay in implementation, or even the death of cloud technology. People will be very reluctant to have their data more accessible and less private.
One can only hope. I don't get this fascination with "the cloud".  ::)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »
Yes, there will be some new cloud-related stuff in v7.
And of course, it's not like we're dropping any of the existing detections - this is simply another layer on top of the existing engine.

Also, most of the attention is payed to newly downloaded files. To make a query about such files will typically be much much faster than the actual download, so we can do things even on weaker connections (I mean, if you're downloading a 20MB file over a dial-up, and it takes you minutes, you can typically wait 1 more second to get the result of the scan, especially if it's happening seemlessly on the background).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Harikrishnan

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:35:53 AM »
Oh..! that s nice...
Thanks Vlk..., now there is much light on this..;
then what  about sandbox...?? :D

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:01:58 AM »
Actually I just love this man named VLK. Apart from community I love his work really alot and new ideas

mu......aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Regards
Ash
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Harikrishnan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »
Hhhh....ha..haa..
Here is one from me too... 
mu......aaaaaaaaaaaahhh:-*

Vlk, your pretty cheeks will need a better compression technology to accomodate all the mu.....aaaaaahhhs u r going to receive with the release of Avast! 7... ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »
Yes, there will be some new cloud-related stuff in v7.
And of course, it's not like we're dropping any of the existing detections - this is simply another layer on top of the existing engine.

Also, most of the attention is payed to newly downloaded files. To make a query about such files will typically be much much faster than the actual download, so we can do things even on weaker connections (I mean, if you're downloading a 20MB file over a dial-up, and it takes you minutes, you can typically wait 1 more second to get the result of the scan, especially if it's happening seemlessly on the background).

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk when am I going to give you a 'BIG'  :-* your company is keeping us all safe
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Raveen Kool

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Will avast go for HIPS in version 7! or will it stay with Behavior blocker?......