Author Topic: Avast! moves to Cloud....???!  (Read 14873 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! moves to Cloud....???!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
Will avast go for HIPS in version 7! or will it stay with Behavior blocker?......
No HIPS. The policy is userfriendly, transparent and silent protection.
The best things in life are free.

Raveen Kool

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply.........

bilpo

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
about the autosandbox: i would like to see the autosandbox extended to protect usb flash drives, email, multimedia clients, instant messenger, irc, p2p, and voip not just the internet browser. maybe you could add this to your internet security suite or even better to your free version. Moreover i would like to see a hips with a whitelist (this should significantly reduce popup alerts and also offer enhanced protection from zero day threats). But i think that this should be disabled by default so that techsavvy users can enable it and try it out themselveswhereas your average joe won't get fed up with the alerts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:20:44 PM by bilpo »

bilpo

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
"Avast! will be moving at least some of its threat definitions to the cloud"

Personally i would like to see all the threat definitions moved into the cloud for people who have an always on always connected internet connection (desktop users) this would significantly reduce the size of avast. Currently avast is taking up 306mb of disk space even though the installer was 75mb:o (this isn't really a problem most users nowadays have 250GB+ storage space), but it would always be a bonus if avast was smaller in size compared to the competition.

For laptop users(who's internet connection isn't allways guaranteed) avast could implement a hybrid approach maybe have some signatures stored on the laptop as well as some cloud protection. Behavior blocker and autosandbox should be able to detect anyunknown threats.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:40:39 PM by bilpo »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
Wow. :o
Many wishes bilpo. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bilpo

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
i love avast and only want to make it better. the features that i mentionead would benefit everybody (165+million users :o ). Lets just hope that avast will implement my suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:00:19 AM »
I really doubt they would implement a default deny policy and whitelists...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64382.msg546016#msg546016
The best things in life are free.

Daris

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »
Well I been reading some of these posts on this topic and well my take on this is... with Avira going Shareware or Crapware and forcing Ask toolbar etc. on its customers...Avast is in a good position right now to get most, if not all of their customers...Very many disappointed Avira users....Most are trying Avast for the first time and are very surprised at how awesome it is and what they have been missing...

On Cloud based protection
    But maybe I don't understand "cloud based protection," cause I never cared much for Threatfire or other cloud based Antiviruses...They are not a reliable first choice of protection in my opinion, and I would never use Threatfire or cloud based proection for my main Virus protection software...I like the new Sandbox in Avast 6....It made Avast much stronger and more reliable with the highest ratings ever..at a time when Avira died out....Good timing I'd say...I definatey never do oline scans, or trust them much..I prefer the software that is on my computer that I have been use to, grown accustomed to, and trust and understand, and see and work with on a daily basis.....and when I leave the internet for the day, clean my computer and do a clean scan....I can count on my Antivirus that is there and protecting me with my connecton ON or Off..
   Anyways maybe I just never cared for cloud based protection, although I did try it, just didn't find it appealing, trustworthy, or reliable....Like they say maybe I just had a bad experience with a cloud based program, and so I blame the rest of the programs or Antiviruses that are Cloud based....Just my opinion based on my experience with cloud protection....I know many will not agree with me....
  Cheers!!! and safe surfing!!!

Gargamel360

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:28 AM »
Avast is in a good position right now to get most, if not all of their customers...
Yes, Umbrellas loss could well be their gain. ;)

The "C" word is a bit overhyped, no?  Not totally a buzz word, but I liken it to HTML5 hype, in that it is getting a little bit ahead of itself.

Avast! will not be "cloud based", but rather "cloud augmented".

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
If Avast ever added HIPS, I'd be gone faster than a cockroach when the light goes on. I'm not enthused about the cloud stuff either.

I also don't think Avira adding an OPTION to install a toolbar is any big deal at all. Anybody who would leave for that reason is going overboard. I think Avast! is better of course but if they added that option, it wouldn't bother me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:57:31 AM by Dch48 »

bilpo

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
i agree, hips would upset your average avast user, which would lead to avast losing its userbase.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
A signature set "in the cloud" (I am sooo over that expression) as an additional tool could be good.
Something like this maybe?
You start your machine, avast! 7 detects an available fast internet connection, instead of immediately downloading, unpacking, diff calcing & applying updates, it temporarily directs threat identification of new and/or uncached files to the online database while simultaneously synching its local database as a low priority task.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Dch48

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
A signature set "in the cloud" (I am sooo over that expression) as an additional tool could be good.
Something like this maybe?
You start your machine, avast! 7 detects an available fast internet connection, instead of immediately downloading, unpacking, diff calcing & applying updates, it temporarily directs threat identification of new and/or uncached files to the online database while simultaneously synching its local database as a low priority task.
That sounds good as long as all the servers are up, including the ones between you and Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 09:34:25 PM »
For me right now the cloud is more hype than anything else and there is absolutely no way I would want a security application to be completely or largely based on accessing a remote server over the internet (that after all, when you remove the hype/blurb that is all the cloud is).

That to me is akin to keeping all your eggs in one basket.

Whilst for the most part not having access to the Internet would mean that access to much/all of your cloud protection would be gone; it also means that a large chunk of the risk of infection is also removed.

I believe it would be pretty hard to split the levels of protection in the form of signatures and features to protect you from off-line malware/threats. One of the first so called light cloud AV options was panda and that was a 70MB download for the local PC. At that time it was much larger than the PC based avast5 by some margin.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bilpo

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
One of the first so called light cloud AV options was panda and that was a 70MB download for the local PC. At that time it was much larger than the PC based avast5 by some margin.

Just to let you know the current version of panda cloud (1.5.1) is 695kB.