Author Topic: I had Norton Running, having serious problems  (Read 11652 times)

t_ghia

I had Norton Running, having serious problems
« on: August 02, 2003, 03:41:28 AM »
 ???I installed avast. When it said something about norton I had already hit OK. When the computer rebooted everthing froze up. I started in safe mode which was the only way I could and now everything works but my monitors resolution. Eveything is small and telling me my drivers are for an earlier version of windows. I have XP. Any help? If you need more info just ask.

loony57

Re:I had Norton Running, having serious problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 03:55:05 AM »
Hi,
 I had a similar mess one time. Tech support at Dell had me use the System Restore utility in Windows XP to correct the problem. It is available under Start- All Programs- Accesories- System Tools - System Restore.
From there you can follow the directions it gives you. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

t_ghia

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 04:43:56 AM »
 :DThanks for the info. I just now got it fixed. Everything is Fine!!!!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 03:22:00 AM »
Hey, it a Norton problem not avast.
Norton just mess your Windows Registry. Even when you listen about "cleaners" (by Symantec or to Windows Registry) it will not ever go away from your machine.

I´ll copy here another forum posted by myself:

Hello, everybody who has read my last posted messages. I´m technical and the first thing I want to say is that avast Help Support is the best of av companies. Specially acknowledgments to Jindrich Kubec who were vey patient with me.

I had a problem using DOS under XP using avast 4.0 Home edition and pieces of the Norton SystemWorks 2003 (except NAV).

The solution was manually editing two Registry keys (apparently corrupted by Norton Anti-Virus Removal Utility):

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

They have to be formatted as: string,0,string,0,string,0,...,0,0
   But in my case it looks that some idiotic program (probably Symantec?) did:
   string,0,0,string,0,string,0,0

You may try to export the key in the file, remove one zero from the first double zeros.
   Be sure the strings end with double zeros.
   Then import it back and reboot.
   You should then see there the record for \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

-------------------------
The whole history (read just if you have the same problems than I)

The symptoms were:

a) into a cmd window it was forbidden to use DOS programs (16-bits). The user just get the prompt after the command and nothing happens, e.g.:
   C:\pkunzip -n *.zip {enter}
   C:\
By the way, with the WinZip Command Line 1.1 Beta1 the same effect were noted. This application
is the command line version of WinZip 9.0 Beta (www.winzip.com)

b) the cmd window just not ‘change’ its name with the command. In AutoIt 2.64 scripts (www.hiddensoft.com) (the best macro maker for Windows, thanks to Jonathan Bennett). Sending a Run command to cmd windows (e.g.: Run, C:\\pkzip.exe -n *.zip  or  RunWait, %COMSPEC% /C copy c:\\*.zip a:\\,, hide), the cmd window remains with the title C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe). The commands (programs) are not executed.

To solve the problem:

1. The first thing avast Help Support team thought was that the aswmonds.sys resident drive for DOS was not correctly registered in Windows. This is correct but, at that time, we don´t know the cause. We tried to edit the file C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt that looks like:
   dos=high, umb
   device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
   files=40
   device=\<avast directory>\aswmonds.sys

If the user set the last line as a comment:
   REM device=\<avast directory>\aswmonds.sys

The cmd window will work and DOS programs too (see letters a) and b) above). But, the DOS resident driver wouldn´t be loaded and the computer would not be completely protected against virus.

2. After this, we tried to find which program in my computer was responsible for this behavior. Obviously, we thought in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Suite. The NAV component was never in-stalled in this computer but, as everyone recommends, I use Norton Anti-Virus Removal Utility:  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/949e46314f0916a0852565d00073bbfd/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe

3. Apparently, this program corrupted two Registry keys (see rnav_log.txt which is generated by the application):

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

It should have format: string,0,string,0,string,0,...,0,0

But in my case it looks that some idiotic program (probably Symantec?) did:
   string,0,0,string,0,string,0,0
   You may try to export the key in the file, remove one zero from the first double zeros.
   Be sure the strings end with double zeros.
   Then import it back and reboot.

You should then see there the record for aswmonvd.dll.
   Just one record is enough (maybe you see more than one line like this:
   Text: C:\Arquivos de programas\Avast\aswMonVd.dll

4. Other topics to see:

a) There must be aswMonVD.dll in your Avast directory.

b) If you did, don't forget to 'un-REM' the statement in config.nt (see To solve the problem, 1, above)

c) There must be the following records in the registry:

Key name: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   Value name: VDD
   Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
   Type number: 00000007
   Text: \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

Key name: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   Value name: VDD
   Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
   Type number: 00000007
   Text: \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

These records are automatilly generated by avast setup installation program. But, if you have any piece of Norton SystemWorks 2003 installed – remember that NAV is incompatible with avast – you probably may have to edit manually the Registry keys above (or, if the avast team found another way…)

d) Reboot. The avast must work after that and all other DOS programs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The best things in life are free.

neal62

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 01:55:40 AM »
One thing to consider if you buy a new pc. If you are getting the pc from a computer store where they will build you a pc to your specifications is this: Make sure you tell the store building the pc to NOT install Norton on the machine when he/she loads the machine. This is a very good way to not have problems from the after affects of Norton if it's installed when you get the machine. Worked just fine for me when all I had to do was install Avast and not have to worry about a previous installed Norton program (Virus). :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »
One thing to consider if you buy a new pc. If you are getting the pc from a computer store where they will build you a pc to your specifications is this: Make sure you tell the store building the pc to NOT install Norton on the machine when he/she loads the machine. This is a very good way to not have problems from the after affects of Norton if it's installed when you get the machine. Worked just fine for me when all I had to do was install Avast and not have to worry about a previous installed Norton program (Virus). :)

I can't add a word to your wisdom thoughts  8)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 04:44:33 AM »

I can't add a word to your wisdom thoughts  8)

Lucky for me. My comupter store doesn't supply Norton product any more. Yeeeeaaahhh My store is Norton free zone
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:47:28 AM »
Yeeeeaaahhh My store is Norton free zone

Hehe  ;D  ;)