Author Topic: Avast and Outpost Firewall  (Read 3732 times)

jamjar

Avast and Outpost Firewall
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »
Hi

Real-time spyware protection is disabled in my Outpost Firewall (compatibility mode). If I run Outpost's On-Demand Spyware Scanner, do I need to set up any exclusions in Avast (and MBAM Pro) for it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and Outpost Firewall
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
Personally I would get rid of the Outpost anti-spyware module completely as it gets in the way on occasions wanting to report suspicious files. The on-demand scanner shouldn't need an exclusion, but it does appear that even with the spyware detection disabled there is something still running in the background.

I was disappointed in Agnitum, having elected for the compatibility mode and actually unchecked the anti-spyware and web control modules to find this still in the background, given the level of protection I already have. I have always said that all I want in my firewall is to be a very good firewall and not attempt to be a jack of all trades.

So I had to uninstall Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 and reboot, then I did a custom install to ensure that the anti-spyware and web control modules weren't installed.

Now in the proactive protection, etc. there is no anti-spyware or web control.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jamjar

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:46 AM »
DavidR

I know this isn't the right forum to ask these questions but, in view of what you've just said, I would like to get rid of the Anti-Spyware and Web Control components of Outpost Firewall. So, here goes.

My PC is behind a router firewall. Is it OK to uninstall Outpost and momentarily be without a software firewall until the PC reboots and turns Windows Firewall back on?

If I select Expert Mode when reinstalling Outpost, I'll then be able to deselect Anti-Spyware Protection and Web Control but does that mean I'm going to get lots of future prompts from Outpost. At the moment I'm using Simple Mode.

I much appreciate your expertise.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:11:29 AM »
If you download the outpost firewall pro 7.5 and save it to your hard disk (if you didn't save it before), then you aren't actually going to be going on line, so any risk is minimal.

You could enable the windows firewall after uninstalling outpost and before rebooting and then install using expert mode unchecking those modules. Reboot and that should also have switched off the windows firewall, now you should be able to change to simple mode and you would need to enter your license (as that won't have been saved after the clean install).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jamjar

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:20:43 AM »
DavidR
Many thanks for your prompt reply and help.

All the best.
jamjar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »
You're welcome.

0strodamus

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Don't forget that you can also physically unplug your network cable if you're feeling especially paranoid during the uninstall/reinstall time-frame.