Author Topic: Status Bar Monitor BUG  (Read 7376 times)

ady4um

Status Bar Monitor BUG
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »
BUG:

_ "manual" database updates;
_ "Settings -> Status Bar -> Definitions auto updates" UNchecked;
_ "Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version" Checked.

No warnings in the Status Bar icon (exclamation mark) when a new database is available.

Using the default settings and under a normal status, the database is automatically updated and the settings:

Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version

Settings -> Status Bar -> Definitions auto updates

have no actual (visible) consequences.

Now, if I change the database update to "ask" or "manual" (NOT "automatic"), then the setting:

activates an exclamation mark over the tray icon and you can read (by pointing over the tray icon):

Attention, your system is not fully protected.

If I decide to leave the setting to update the database manually, I UNcheck the setting:

so to make it "logical" to the "manual" update. By changing this setting, the icon message is "Your system is secured", the exclamation mark disappears, and it only should (re)appear if some other event occurs, as long as such other event is also monitored in the Status Bar.

Under this situation, I leave the setting:

Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version

still checked, so the database version is still monitored in the Status Bar.

So here is the situation:

After a new database would be available (which I can see in the main GUI), I was expecting:

_ to see the exclamation mark reappearing; and,
_ by pointing over the tray icon, the icon should have the message "Attention, your system is not fully protected."

Since this "Status Bar" Monitoring did not act as I was expecting (in relation to the "database version" monitor), I want to ask:

Under this situation, what/which is the consequence of that latest setting being still checked? Or, if you want, under which situation this specific "Status Bar Monitor" setting triggers some/any warning? Or, Which is exactly the expected warning and the specific event that triggers it?

Can someone try to test the supposed expected event and confirm that the Status Bar monitor actually shows any kind of warning or changes in some/any way?

Just keep in mind that the database is set to "manual" update, and that the specific item I'm interested in monitoring in the Status Bar is "Virus definitions version".

TIA.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:27:28 PM by ady4um »

ady4um

Re: Status Bar Monitor BUG
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
So, no even one forum user knows what should be expected from these settings?

Not even one user knows by experience, and not even one user knows "in theory"?

I was hopping to confirm if this situation is happening only "to me", or if my expectations about how these settings should be working are correct and in fact this is a BUG.

Since I know I am not the only one experiencing this in the tray icon, and I know that some other additional strange situations are happening also around the tray notifications, I can only conclude that several issues are going on around the tray and around updates.

Although not even one user posted, I still hope that some developer will take a look into these issues.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
I took one look at the first chapter of your book and put it right back down again. I rather think that many others have done the same given the number of page reads (bit of an oxymoron there if it isn't being read), 58 at the last count.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
I took one look at the first chapter of your book and put it right back down again. I rather think that many others have done the same...

Yep. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
I took one look at the first chapter of your book and put it right back down again. I rather think that many others have done the same...

Yep. ;D
Me too  ;D

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
I see it as a bug report, so it is suppose to be specific and complete, to make it easy to reproduce.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
BUG:

No warnings in the Status Bar icon (exclamation mark) when a new database is available to download but still not updated (not applied).

This bug comes from  previous versions, and still "available" in 6.0.1203.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »
Since this BUG is still present (6.0.1289), I'd like to ask...

Could someone from Avast Team be so kind to post here how this combination of settings is supposed to work, please? Which exactly should be the expected behaviour?

Thank you in advance.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
God knows why you dont want auto definition updates  ??? have you tried ticking ask when update is available instead of manual update in ( updates \ engine and virus definitions )

also set your status bar \ definition auto updates to checked
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:50:23 PM by craigb »

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
God knows why you dont want auto definition updates  ??? have you tried ticking ask when update is available instead of manual update in ( updates \ engine and virus definitions )

That would not solve the problem:

No warnings in the Status Bar icon (exclamation mark) when a new database is available.

Now, it seems that an additional change was recently made. In past versions, Avast main GUI still knew when a new database was released under this same configuration (meaning, Avast was still checking for availability even in "manual"). It seems Avast is no longer checking for availability of a new database while using this combination of settings.

That's fine. But the "Virus definitions version" setting of Status Bar still needs to work, or, to be more precise, the user expects this setting to work. Under the new behaviour of 6.0.1289, this setting is not going to do anything under "manual" updates (Avast doesn't know if there is a new database available or not).

Again, this new situation is fine with me. But since I haven't seen anything about this change in the changelog (or I missed it), I want to know exactly what this setting should do under the following 2 situations:

A.

B.
_ "ask" for database updates;

In past versions, the "Virus definitions version" setting was NOT working in either #A nor #B.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18:09 PM »
You need to check the status bar definitions auto updates otherwise your status bar is not monitored and by ticking ask when update is available instead of manual update in ( updates \ engine and virus definitions ) you should then be notified in the status bar that an update is available.

If your not going to listen when a suggestion is given then that is why no one replies to your posts  ::)

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
@craigb, I thank you for your contribution, but you are confusing 2 different settings.

The setting:

"Settings -> Status Bar -> Definitions auto updates" checked

as you are suggesting now, is INcompatible with either #A and/or #B from my previous post.

The "Definitions auto updates" checked in Status Bar would display an exclamation mark immediately when using "ask" or "manual" database updates (independently of the database being up-to-date or not).

That's the reason why there are 2 different settings for Status Bar Monitoring:

_ "Settings -> Status Bar -> Definitions auto updates";
_ "Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version".

They are not the same.

So, once again, please, Can someone from Avast Team answer my very simple question for #A and (specially for) #B?

The "Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version" is NOT doing anything (but I am still testing option #B with 6.0.1289).

Thank you in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
For me, my understanding of the "Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version". is that you are informed if the virus definitions are out of date, not that there is an update available.

Now what that duration is before it would be deemed to be out of date I have no idea. If you take the example of the WSC/WAC it is 7 days before they are considered out of date. You could test that theory by not updating for a couple of days, though that isn't risk free if your browsing habits are exotic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
For me, my understanding of the "Settings -> Status Bar -> Virus definitions version". is that you are informed if the virus definitions are out of date, not that there is an update available.

Generally speaking, you are correct. They are "almost" the same.

Now what that duration is before it would be deemed to be out of date I have no idea. If you take the example of the WSC/WAC it is 7 days before they are considered out of date. You could test that theory by not updating for a couple of days, though that isn't risk free if your browsing habits are exotic.

DavidR, you are arriving to my point.

A new available database that has not been applied, "almost" means that you have already have an "out of date" database. Let's go ahead. Let's assume that "out of date" means that the latest applied database is 1 or 2 days old, and of course that there is already a new database available.

Why Avast would want to wait even more time to display the exclamation mark over Avast tray icon? As you said, there is already a risk. There is no need to wait to the standard 7 days of Windows Security (Action) Center!

But even if that would be the case (I hope not), I just want someone from Avast Team to inform (here in this topic, or point me to the info elsewhere) which, exactly, is the behaviour a user should expect from this setting (or, more precisely, from #A and/or #B above)?

In addition, as I already mentioned, the behaviour seems to have changed in the latest program update to 6.0.1289.

"Manual" updates used to check for availability anyway, but now it doesn't. I'm perfectly fine with this change. Could some Avast Team member confirm this, please?

In addition, the "ask for confirmation" setting (#B above) should check for availability of updates. This is NOT working in the current 6.0.1289.

So now we have 2 settings not working correctly in 6.0.1289. I don't think I am asking such a big effort from Avast Team to confirm this problems, or to explain what should a user expect from these settings (in case I am misinterpreting them).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
There is little point in making assumptions, first it is an area of 'what does the term mean' and then if it follows my understanding of it meaning out of date, then it is a case of what is considered out of date 1 day, 2 days, 3 days a week like the WSC/WAC.

I know if you have the virus database out of date for  a few days you are likely to get the avast tooltip 'Your system is not fully secured' when you hover over the avast tray icon. Or you may see that in the avastUI, Summary screen when opened, I have seen that in my netbook if I haven't used it foe a few days.

Though I can't recall the duration or if the yellow exclamation mark was displayed.