Author Topic: No Firewall with New Internet Security  (Read 3878 times)

Starman54

No Firewall with New Internet Security
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
Hello All

After years of using the "Free" version I felt it was time to make some contribution to the fine folks at Avast by at least paying for a version. My year was almost up and the offer was good. It's the only AV I've ever used and spoken highly of over at DSL Reports site. Never had a issue until now...

I loaded it up after it first told me to delete the previous version which I did. Everything went fine, inserted key, rebooted and right awy got the icon in the corner..."Attention:Fix Now". At first it was saying needed updates and all which I did and rebooted. Again showing "Fix Now". Pulled up the interface...Attention!! not fully protected with a "!" besides Firewall.

So I hit the "Fix Now" button...nothing
So I hit the small "Turn On" blue button next to Firewall...'Firewall not available
So I hit the small blue button at the bottom where it shows "Urgent!"...same thing.
So I go to Firewall and hit 'Start"..."Unable to start Firewall! Shield unreachable"
If i hit "Expert Settings" the whole interface locks up and I have to reboot. It won't do a thing.

Current Version...6.0.1125
Current...110629-0
I'm using Vista Home Preminum 64bit, Serive Pack 2. I have 'Windows Firewall" on but tried off and nothing. I also have Windows Defender running and wonder if I should turn that off.

Kenny J

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: No Firewall with New Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Try going to remove programs and do a repair on avast.
Defender does not interfere with avast but you can disable it since it is not much good.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Starman54

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Hello

FIXED  :)

I first tried the "repair" method but got a error message...not found,please update or something like that.

I then DL the file as posted by Asyn. Opened and rebooted. At first same thing but went into Maintenance>Update program...new files DL then reboot. Upon reboot New Network was found and all is ok..
So safe to terminate Windows Defender? What bout the built in Vista Firewall as well? And by the way thank you so much for the help.

Kenny J

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
Glad that you got it fixed  :) yes it's safe for you to disable defender and the windows firewall.

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Try going to remove programs and do a repair on avast.
Defender does not interfere with avast but you can disable it since it is not much good.

ISTM that it is better to turn off Windows Defender in Windows Defender than to disable it through Services

It can be turned off in Windows Defender as indicated below

Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.

Click Tools, and then click Options.

Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Defender-on-or-off

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »
And by the way thank you so much for the help.
Kenny J

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0