Author Topic: Avast! won't close, I need to restart my computer to shut it down  (Read 8012 times)

pcclean3453

Please help!
Every time I open avast! from objectdock, (free docking software)I can't close it and I have to do a restart to shut it down. I'm wondering if it's a glitch in objectdock or avast. I also tried closing avastUI.exe in Task Manager but it gives me an error message. (screenshot below)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! won't close, I need to restart my computer to shut it down
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
Why would you need to open avast from ObjectDock in the first place ?
What are you actually opening (avastUI.exe ?) which you have a tray icon for.

Of course you can't close avastUI from the task manager the self-defence module would stop you from doing that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
OK, I have had a little play, I use RocketDock rather than ObjectDock, but I can create a shortcut for avastUI.exe, image1 and can start the avastUI (though again can't see the point with the icon in the tray), I can close the avastUI with either the X top right of the window or Right click on the tasklbar item and select Close, image2.

So I'm not sure what is going on in your system with ObjectDock and avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
So what happens when you try and close it?
The image you posted is correct because you can't terminate the process, thanks to self defence

A little OT, but:
(though again can't see the point with the icon in the tray)
Win 7 hides icons by default, and I personally only like the 4 system ones (Action Center, battery, Wireless, and sound) So if you have a dock, it may be easier than the icon. (I use fences myself and have a shortcut on the desktop)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
Yes, I'm aware of the win7 hiding them, I have mine (dragged to the notification area/tray) so it is always shown. I consider it essential even on my tiny win7 netbook, I also have my MBAM, WinPatrol and Firewall icons there.

Nothing to stop the avastUI being pinned to the taskbar another option.

OK, I have done some more rummaging, I have ObjectDock on my win7 netbook. I added a shortcut for avastUI.exe and that too works as expected, it opens the UI, I can close it with the X top right or Right click on the tasklbar item and select Close.

So no problem with ObjectDock, win7 and avastUI closing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »

Good question..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

pcclean3453

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
So what happens when you try and close it?
The image you posted is correct because you can't terminate the process, thanks to self defence

A little OT, but:
(though again can't see the point with the icon in the tray)
Win 7 hides icons by default, and I personally only like the 4 system ones (Action Center, battery, Wireless, and sound) So if you have a dock, it may be easier than the icon. (I use fences myself and have a shortcut on the desktop)
It justs minimizes the window.
What are you actually opening (avastUI.exe ?) which you have a tray icon for.

Of course you can't close avastUI from the task manager the self-defence module would stop you from doing that.
I like to hide the windows taskbar when I use objectdock.
Yes, I'm aware of the win7 hiding them, I have mine (dragged to the notification area/tray) so it is always shown. I consider it essential even on my tiny win7 netbook, I also have my MBAM, WinPatrol and Firewall icons there.

Nothing to stop the avastUI being pinned to the taskbar another option.

OK, I have done some more rummaging, I have ObjectDock on my win7 netbook. I added a shortcut for avastUI.exe and that too works as expected, it opens the UI, I can close it with the X top right or Right click on the tasklbar item and select Close.

So no problem with ObjectDock, win7 and avastUI closing.
Don't know what's with yours.
Oh and I think it actually closes, but the indicator below the icon won't disappear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:30:06 PM by pcclean3453 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »
Nothing wrong on mine, it is yours that isn't working on win7, ObjectDock and avastUI shortcut closing.