Author Topic: Access to Greek Embassy in Washington blocked by Avast Free  (Read 4992 times)

squarepegger

It is possible to verify at other web sites that the correct URL for the Embassy of Greece in Washington DC is hxxp://www.greekembassy.org

Why is Avast Free blocking my access to this web site and reporting that it is associated with a Trojan horse?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:00:15 PM by igor »

squarepegger

[SOLVED] Access to Greek Embassy in Washington blocked by Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
I'd delete my original post if I could.  :-[

There's another URL, http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/AuthoritiesAbroad/North%20America/USA/EmbassyWashington/en-US/ ,
that is working.

Gargamel360

Re: Access to Greek Embassy in Washington blocked by Avast Free
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
If the site shows infected, please break that live link (change to hxxp or similar) so no one stumbles into trouble.

Why? you ask, because either 1: Site has been hacked and is infected, any legit site this can happen, or 2: It is a false positive.

With all the unrest in Greece at the moment, I find it totally believable someone would target this site.

Posting a screenshot of the detection might help someone point you to the cause.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
Hi squarepegger :)

Please can you modify the link, to prevent others potentially becoming infected. (change http to hXXp) Thanks.

It appears that there is a script within the page that avast is alerting on.

avast is the only one detecting this (GData uses avast engine) so I am not sure whether the detection is correct or not. I would have to get someone from avast to comment.
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=937c0cc6fc3f1a4d8d19dc9e14ca744affabe38eff2ad382d288266ac4c8d328-1309631363

Scott
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:35:52 PM by spg SCOTT »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
Posting a screenshot of the detection might help someone point you to the cause.

here (attached)

off topic: @avast thx for bringing back the involved program path in the alert ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:39:55 PM by logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
off topic: @avast thx for bringing back the involved program path in the alert ;)

That was a bug and has been fixed. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:55:56 AM »
Unfortunately the OP is not changing the http to hXXp.

In any case, generally speaking, that type of address can't be an official website of an embassy. Any embassy is part of a government. The "org" is for other types of organizations. So even if it would not be a problematic site (while in fact it seems to be at least problematic), it can't be the official Greek embassy.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 02:20:21 AM »
Unfortunately the OP is not changing the http to hXXp.
Wish I had the power to do that...would make life a bit easier...save me reporting the thread to a mod to do it...probably save them some time too...ah  well...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:28 AM »
<snip>
In any case, generally speaking, that type of address can't be an official website of an embassy. Any embassy is part of a government. The "org" is for other types of organizations. So even if it would not be a problematic site (while in fact it seems to be at least problematic), it can't be the official Greek embassy.

Not entirely correct, whilst many would use .gov.?? that isn't a hard and fast rule.

See image of whois for greekembassy.org.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tgell

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:14:01 AM »
Comes up clean on Securi

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

Not entirely correct, whilst many would use .gov.?? that isn't a hard and fast rule.

Until some time ago (I don't remember when exactly), "gov" was the only option for governments. Although there are new accepted "names" (as for languages other than English), the use of previous ones is, AFAIK, not accepted. AFAIK, "org" can't be used by a government, the same as "mil" can't be used by, say, a general purpose (nonmilitary) official education center.

Could a "self-called" or "self-named" education center use "org"? Yes, but probably its recognition as an academic institute is, at least, doubtful. The same would go for a "government site" using "org".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
You did notice when this domain was first registered didn't you 1996, when I rather doubt the .gov top level domain type was even introduced 15 years ago.

So what may be the case now (and I still feel an embassy could still use .org) on registering a new domain, what can and cant be used for top level type.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
You did notice when this domain was first registered didn't you 1996, when I rather doubt the .gov top level domain type was even introduced 15 years ago.

So what may be the case now (and I still feel an embassy could still use .org) on registering a new domain, what can and cant be used for top level type.
Although I see the "practical" possibility that an "org" domain could be used for an official embassy, it is certainly against the "theoretical" uses.

Nowadays, "org" is opened to general use, but the original use was certainly not for government. AFAIK, both "org" and "gov" were first regulated in the '80s, with the "org" domain receiving organizations that were not included in the rest of the top categories (as "com" or "mil", or "gov").

All I am saying is that, even if possible, it is very unlikely that nowadays the official site of an embassy would still be "org". Even if it is still owned by an official embassy, the info wouldn't be "current", so there shouldn't be any reason to use such a site for trustworthy current information.

Is it possible? Yes. But my point was not to discuss specifics about "org" or "gov". As with *any* site, the first defense to avoid security problems, or to learn to trust the info out there, is the user. Any other security tool is supposed to be in a second line. So my intention was more to use "common sense". If a user can independently confirm that a specific site is trustworthy, it shouldn't matter "org" or "gov". I just think that when searching for a Greek embassy, "org" wouldn't be my first choice to search/trust.

I apologize for turning the conversation out of topic. My intention was to comment about a general "common sense" data (the domain) that could potentially give a tip about the site.