Author Topic: Incoming mail puzzle  (Read 8009 times)

jhiker

Incoming mail puzzle
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:57:58 PM »
WinXP/SP2, Avastv4.5, K9, Outlook Express

Any thoughts on why my incoming mail is double-stamped with the check confirmation? Is it possible it's being read both before and after passing through K9?
Everything worked like a dream before I moved up to 4.5beta.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Incoming mail puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:08:57 PM »
No,but its checked in K9 and later when it actually arrives in Outlook Express. Thats because mail protection checks all POP3/SMTP traffic.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »
In fact, your email is being checked twice if there is two notes of 'clean' message.
Now, in 4.5 version, the email account settings must went back to the original state (standard or the spam killer default ones) like you're not using avast.
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 03:59:01 PM »
Hi Jhiker,

It seems like Avast checks both the connection from OutlookExpress to k9 spamfilter and then from k9 to your POP3 server. Avast 4.5 automatically scans all connections to ports 110, 25, 143 ( POP3, SMTP and IMAP). In the configuration like yours this might lead to double-check, so mail scanner also ignores all connections to localhost (127.0.0.1).

What is the server and the port number in your Outlook Express account settings?

lukor.

jhiker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:16:37 PM »
I'm not home at the moment but I'll check this evening and follow up.
Thanks for the suggestions so far - very helpful forum!

jhiker

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 08:50:41 PM »
Lukor - in response to your query about port numbers and stuff, here are the settings.

From the K9 config page:
K9 - listening on 127.0.0.1 - port 9999
---------------------------------------------------
Outlook Express.
Servers page:
Incoming (POP3): 127.0.0.1
Outgoing: smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming mail server account name: pop.tiscali.co.uk/110/myacount.screaming.net
Password: mypassword

Advanced page - server port numbers:
Outgoing port: 25
Incoming port: 110
--------------------------------------------------------
I feel the solution is simple but I can't see it!
Many thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 03:37:48 AM »
I think the port on K9 must be the same as in Outlook Express (if K9 works like Spamihilator, i.e., read the mail before downloading it and check if it is spam or not).

So, for me, can you try:

Outlook Express.
Servers page:
Incoming (POP3): 127.0.0.1
Outgoing: smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming mail server account name: pop.tiscali.co.uk/9999/myacount.screaming.net
Password: mypassword

Advanced page - server port numbers:
Outgoing port: 25
Incoming port: 9999

jhiker

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:50:02 AM »
Tried that and it wouldn't authorise the account.

However......
Changed the Incoming mail server account name back to pop.tiscali.co.uk/110/myaccount.screaming.net

and left the Incoming port number at 9999 as you suggested and all seems to be working as it should - it's only stamping once now!

Many thanks for your invaluable help.

FYI: I think K9 sorts the mail AFTER downloading - it won't delete SPAM from the server, I don't think. Mail can be directed straight to the bin though. It's extremely accurate  - about 99.5% just now.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »
Jhiker,

Just an explanation:
In your original configuration (as it seems to me), your mail was first observed by K9, and then scanned by Avast!. Hence the setting 127.0.0.1, incoming port: 110, directed the mail to Avast scanner, which in turns downloads the mail from K9 (localhost:9999 must have been specified in avast4.ini file).

With version 4.5, every outgoing connection is automaticaly scanned, so is the outgoing connection from K9 to mail server.

Outlook Express -> Avast directly -> K9 via default server -> Avast via automatic scan -> Tiscali POP

The correct way to remove the double-scan is indeed directing your mail account to K9 (127.0.0.1, port 9999 in Outlook Express) and let the automatic pop3 scan feature check connections as they leave your PC.

Outlook Express -> K9 (127.0.0.1:9999) -> Avast via automatic scan -> Tiscali POP.

As an extra benefit is the fact that also the K9 program (which is a mail client of its sort) is now protected against viruses.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »
and of course the username: "pop.tiscali.co.uk/110/myacount.screaming.net" is an instruction to K9 that your mail must be downloaded from the server "pop.tiscali.co.uk", port "110", with username "myaccount.screaming.net". So no 9999 here!  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
Many thanks for your invaluable help.

You're welcome. Try to come back and help the others  8)

FYI: I think K9 sorts the mail AFTER downloading - it won't delete SPAM from the server, I don't think. Mail can be directed straight to the bin though. It's extremely accurate  - about 99.5% just now.

Spamihilator, in fact, is able to 'see' the spam into the server and both show you or delete directly. It's quite accurate too. Very good plugins.