Author Topic: How many dead Vista bodies before Avast acknowledge a problem?  (Read 14987 times)

Chilly8

Re: How many dead Vista bodies before Avast acknowledge a problem?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
As a regular contributor to the MS WGA forums, I have repeatedly had to tell people running Vista to uninstall Avast v6, as it causes Kernel and Mod-Auth Tampers which break validation in Vista.

There may be an easier way, that I am experimenting with now, by going into Services and disabling Windows Update. What it is likely clashing with are tools that are periodically downloaded by Windows Update to validate and check that Product Activation has not been tampered with.

Chilly8

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »
As I understand it mainstream support for Windows Vista ends in 2012, but extended support continues until 2017.

I think that all support for XP, Vista and 7 will all end in 2014.

Chilly8

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
As a regular contributor to the MS WGA forums, I have repeatedly had to tell people running Vista to uninstall Avast v6, as it causes Kernel and Mod-Auth Tampers which break validation in Vista.

Avast has so far neither acknowledged the problem, nor stated that they can even see it.

One thing it might to is screw up the security settings on some folders where you cannot access them, if if logged in as a full admin

After I re-installed Windows, due to this problem, I was totally locked out of one of the hard disks, and could not get in, even as an admin, so I had to set ownership of everything on the disk to Administrator, and that allowed me to get back into the disk.

I also wonder if this could not have been the reason I had to reinstall Vista the first time. I run an online radio station, and FireDemon, which keeps Winamp and Shoutcast DNAS running as a Windows service, stopped working, and knocked me off the air. I wonder if the update to Avast 6 could not have caaused that. When tried to and start the service, I would get an error message saying the serice could not start. FireDeamon was totally screwed up and I had to reinstall Windows.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »

No, it won't. ;)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Nesivos

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »

No, it won't. ;)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin

From your link

Windows Vista Home Premium in the U.S.A

1. Service Pack Support has already ended
2. Mainstream support will end on 4/10/12

I would imagine that MSFT will offer extended support for Vista when mainstream support ends just like they are doing for XP.

Windows XP Home Edition in the U.S.A

1. Mainstream support is done.
2. Extended support end date is 4/8/14. 

Extended support includes
1. Paid support
2. Security update support
3. Non-security hotfix support but only if you purchased an extended hotfix agreement, purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.

Bottom line is that unless you purchased Windows XP or Windows Vista from a third party you will not be getting any software compatibility updates.   I doubt that there are too many software companies writing new versions of their software with an emphasis on Windows XP or Windows Vista compatibility.

turmoyle2000

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
I would imagine that MSFT will offer extended support for Vista when mainstream support ends just like they are doing for XP.

Like I already said, mainstream support for Vista ends in 2012, and extended support runs until 2017. It's all part of the MSFT product life cycle. You can read about on the MSFT website.

patbertaux

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
@patbertaux,
The workaround is the following: [...]

Just to say thanks for your help, system at last up and running, hopefully !