Author Topic: running eicar from network/shared drive  (Read 14610 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:running eicar from network/shared drive
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »
Basicly a file you download directly to a network drive other than on your own system, will not come to your system and therefor will normally not be scanned by most av applications (home use).

IMHO, av applications for home use are normally not designed/mentioned for network protection. If you can initiate the download from system-A and put the file directly on system-B, your network security is not properly setup.

jockel

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »
Hello Eddy,
Basicly a file you download directly to a network drive other than on your own system, will not come to your system and therefor will normally not be scanned by most av applications (home use). IMHO, av applications for home use are normally not designed/mentioned for network protection.
I donĀ“t think so! All other scanners (all home use) I tried, either alerted when downloading to the shared drive or when executing from the shared drive. At least one scanner alerted on download as well as on execution.
....If you can initiate the download from system-A and put the file directly on system-B, your network security is not properly setup.
Eddy, what do you expect specially from home users when it comes to "setting up network security"? They share their drives and and expect a scanner to alert if an infected file is executed by a protected computer. I think a simple shared driveletter is nothing that sophisticated, that it is unusual for a
simple home environment. The file is executed in the RAM of the protected PC, this is not o.k.! If a file is executed but not scanned, even if this is by design, then you have to line this out to the user on execution. Why should it come to users mind, that he is not save in that moment ? Because he did not purchase the multi-hundred-EUR-network-version of the very scanner?

Best regards
Jockel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2004, 03:56:29 PM »
Eddy, what do you expect specially from home users when it comes to "setting up network security"? They share their drives and and expect a scanner to alert if an infected file is executed by a protected computer. I think a simple shared driveletter is nothing that sophisticated, that it is unusual for a simple home environment. The file is executed in the RAM of the protected PC, this is not o.k.! If a file is executed but not scanned, even if this is by design, then you have to line this out to the user on execution. Why should it come to users mind, that he is not save in that moment ? Because he did not purchase the multi-hundred-EUR-network-version of the very scanner?

I agree with you... terrible lack of security  :-\
The best things in life are free.