Author Topic: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203  (Read 187942 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
Guys can we stay on topic, this defrag discussion has nothing to do with the latest release.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
Guys can we stay on topic, this defrag discussion has nothing to do with the latest release.

I disagree.

An avast user posted this AM that they were having problems with avast! working with PD.

So I suggested that they try another defragger that I know works with avast! since the problem that the user was having hade nothing to do with the current release of avast! but PD given how old a version of PD the poster was using.

Then others chimed in recommending another solution to the problem, which is what happens most of the time on well posted threads.  Then the pros and cons of which might be the best solution for the user's problem ensued.  Again this happens a lot on well posted threads. 

Then the hall monitor arrived and ............ :)

JohnSAvast

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
Since installing this version I have had problems with app windows loading (OS is XP).  A number of smaller applications have the exe start up immediately as shown in Task Manager but the window does not appear for a very long time, minutes.  If I have Avast disabled, one particular app window appears within 10 secs.  With Avast enabled, I give up after a minute and disable Avast.  Never had the issue with previous revs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »

I disagree.

An avast user posted this AM that they were having problems with avast! working with PD.

So I suggested that they try another defragger that I know works with avast!
<snip>

All of this could and should have gone on outside the topic:
Where the OP could report the fault and hopefully get help to resolve the problem for him and other users, without it being buried in here.
You could also have suggested the alternative in that topic as could have others without it getting way off topic as it did.

As for the hall monitor I rather think it is common sense so that the poster can get the best help and or alternatives.

But then you don't appear to be a common sense sort of person :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
About the defrag tools,

Searching the forum for "Raxco" and/or "PerfectDisk" and/or "Perfect Disk" ("any words"), and reading the topics could be a good idea.

The following are only PART of the results, with several different versions:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81125.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81135.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67097.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64036.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61177.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57379.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57611.0

Once the forum search is performed, and the topics are read, open a new one if necessary, about Avast 6.0.1203 and the relevant defrag tools with solutions, workarounds and alternatives.

I hope you can find a real solution.

Now I think we can go back to the main topic here.

Any reason not to update the release history of Avast with 6.0.1203?
Maybe a new stable is closely coming?

Nesivos

« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »

I disagree.

So I suggested that they try another defragger that I know works with avast!
<snip>

All of this could and should have gone on outside the topic:
Where the OP could report the fault and hopefully get help to resolve the problem for him and other users, without it being buried in here.
You could also have suggested the alternative in that topic as could have others without it getting way off topic as it did.

As for the hall monitor I rather think it is common sense so that the poster can get the best help and or alternatives.

But then you don't appear to be a common sense sort of person :P

It is a matter of opinion.

Clearly as usual we don't agree :)

Believe me if there is anyone guilty of having too much common sense it is me beyond a doubt :) :)

So I am now going to use common sense and end our O/T discussion which you initiated. ;)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:08:15 PM by Nesivos »

JohnSAvast

« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »
Following up on my post a few back, I think you will find that PerfectDisk is starting up fine - check Task Manager or whatever.  However, it takes for ever for the window to appear.  I also have the issue with PD which I get round as previously described.  Ditto with some other apps too.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
I prefer Defraggler by Piriform

+1 :)

Agree with Dave. This should be discussed elsewhere. (If necessary..!??)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
Maybe I was not clear enough with all those links.

Now I think we can go back to the main topic here.
Any reason not to update the release history of Avast with 6.0.1203?
Maybe a new stable is closely coming?

Jack 1000

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
Just updated through the pop-up notice on Windows XP.  Works great!

One question?  Since I just updated over the previous version, I'm not going to get those credit check pop-up things that are like Life Lock, right?  How do I turn them off?  (Did not see them in the settings.)  I am using Avast 6 Free.  Or does that sign up offer come with new Avast installs only?

Jack

I was afraid my question got lost in the OT's popping up in this thread.  Inquiring on the above.  Thanks in advance!

Jack

Tetsuo

« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
Hi,

I installed this new program update the same day it came out.

Yesterday I saw a little issue when I opened the Win XP's disk cleanup utility.
After opening the utility and choosing which HD I want to clean up, the application lags for a couple of seconds or even more before it eventually starts calculating the amount of bytes to clear (and then asking for user's OK).

If I disable all the Avast! shields from  the tray icon, the utility works normally without any lags.

As I said, I thinks this behaviour only started a couple of days ago (maybe yesterday) so I was wondering if it may be related to some recent virus definitions update...

System Info:

Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit)

Avast! Free AV 6.0.1203 (Behaviour Shield removed)
Online Armor Free 5.0.0.1097
*Security software mutually excluded

Cheers,
T.

P.S. I'm not sure if the English name of this OS utility is "disk cleanup utility", but I hope you understand what I mean - by the way sorry for my English.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:17:40 PM by Tetsuo »

Mr.Agent

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
I think translation french need to be very very inspected on WebRep Help Center wow.... I just cant believe it ! What is WepRep ? What is WebBrep ? What is what is....... sorry there tons to mention there even others next to it that need a "é"....

If you dont find it then French translator pm to me as this being a push to anywhere its like a "i dont care for french here my work guys/girls...". :o >:( >:(

Rick F

« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
Just updated to 6.0.1203 via avast's GUI.  All seems well.

Someone above posted that OE (Outlook Express) on their XP box didn't work.  I'm not having any problem with that.  Make sure your firewall knows to allow the new version of avast permission to connect.

Thanks to the team at Avast!  :)

MikeRepairs

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2011, 04:28:47 AM »
The CreditAlert signup message upon installation is severely cutoff on a Acer Aspire One netbook with 10.1" screen. The form is so tall it gets cut off at the enter SSN field. The rest of the form below the SSN is completely hidden and there is no way to scroll it. All you can do is click the red X in the top right corner.

Not that I wanted to signup, I just wanted to report the GUI design problem.

mcaleck

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

First timer here (a good thing for you guys I guess)

First off, I wanna thank the Avast staff for this amazing security software. My Avast 6 has always run very smoothly and done an excellent job keeping my PC safe.

However, the latest free version 6.0.1203 caused my win XP to hang at system start so I had to remove it and install the previous version.

My PC runs on XP SP3 with Avast Free Antivirus + Comodo firewall and never had an issue until now.

Any tips, suggestions?

Thanks