Author Topic: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203  (Read 187852 times)

Nesivos

Re: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »
I don't see a sticky for avast! general recommendations so I will post this here.

I could be wrong on this but ISTM that if you are using the Screen Saver scan that it appears to start at the appropriate time even if you are running a pre-scheduled scan like "Quick Scan" at that time.

If that is correct I would like to see an option not to have this happen.

If there already is an option for this I would appreciate a pointer on where it is in the GUI.

Totocellux

« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
All seems to be OK after the update!
Thanks  :)

mohamed said

« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
i have update issues , when i try to upgrade from version 6.0.1125 to 6.0.1203 ... even when i started the update manualy , avast doesn't complete the update it keeps retrying again and again ...

gdiloren

« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
i have update issues , when i try to upgrade from version 6.0.1125 to 6.0.1203 ... even when i started the update manualy , avast doesn't complete the update it keeps retrying again and again ...
try doing a clean uninstall, then install again anew ::)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:48 AM »
Before doing a clean install try installing the 6.0.1203 build over your current installation.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

max2

« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
Updated over the top without issue.

However, I'd like to download the latest build so that I can reinstall if necessary when I'm not online. The website is NOT working correctly as the Free update keeps taking me to a pop up screen to upgrade, and then doesn't provide the link for the Free build.

You can see that here: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

The "No thanks. I want free protection" link is NOT working. Could you please fix that so that those who want to manually install can.

Thank you.

Gargamel360

« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
You aren't the first person to say that recently>>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81870.0, but I still can't reproduce it here, the "no thanks" button works fine for me.

max2

« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Thanks for that reply. I tried with both Firefox 3.6.18 and IE 7. Cleared cache, reloaded page, checked that nothing was being blocked. In IE, it indicated an error on the page. So that's odd.

Dch48

« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
It worked for me but only after about a 20 second lag. (Using Chrome)

Tetsuo

« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
The website is NOT working correctly as the Free update keeps taking me to a pop up screen to upgrade, and then doesn't provide the link for the Free build.

The "No thanks. I want free protection" link is NOT working.

Hi max2,

First off sorry for my English.

It usually happens also to me, but in my case I know what is the origin of the issue.

I use a HOSTS file provided by MVPS in order to block ads, banners, parasites, hijackers, unwanted adware etc...
If I temporary disable the HOSTS file (using HostsMan) and clear the browser's cache I can fully access to the Avast! download links.
In other words, my HOSTS file blocks some ads or annoying banners domains that are probably needed for the download link to work.

I suggest you check any security software installed on your system which works with  restriction/block list and/or HOSTS file (HostsMan, PeerBlock, Spybot Search & Destroy etc...) and then try temporary disabling the "list"/HOSTS and clearing your browser's cache.

Cheers,
T.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:44:58 PM by Tetsuo »

Dch48

« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
Updated over the top without issue.

However, I'd like to download the latest build so that I can reinstall if necessary when I'm not online. The website is NOT working correctly as the Free update keeps taking me to a pop up screen to upgrade, and then doesn't provide the link for the Free build.

The "No thanks. I want free protection" link is NOT working. Could you please fix that so that those who want to manually install can.

Thank you.

It works fine here with both Chrome and IE8.

max2

« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2011, 09:55:59 PM »
Yes, thanks for those suggestions. I can do all that. But Avast should not require that to download, and it's the only website that has created this issue.

Since Avast is a security company, they know the value of security, and should not be forcing users who might not be so well informed from making such changes. In my case, I already cleared the cache and reloaded the page. But it could be Spybot, a hosts file, no script, etc. and its a pain to have to disable them all just to SEE if that might permit the download.

And there is no such problem downloading the VPS update, so you are probably right that this is an advertising issue and advertising should not force the disabling of security.

P.S. Your English is nothing to apologize about. It's better than many native speakers I know.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:00:11 PM by max2 »

Tetsuo

« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »
You're welcome, max2.

it could be Spybot, a hosts file, no script, etc. and its a pain to have to disable them all just to SEE if that might permit the download.

And there is no such problem downloading the VPS update, so you are probably right that this is an advertising issue and advertising should not force the disabling of security.

Unfortunately I cannot provide you more specific info because I use only the MVPS HOSTS file.
However, I can say that some entries from the MVPS HOSTS prevent the links to work - it could be ads, banners or anything (annoying/unwanted) else - and that it is not a recent issue.
In any case, I totally trust MVPS HOSTS.

Cheers,
T.

P.S. thank you very much for your kind words about my English ; )
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:36:12 AM by Tetsuo »

max2

« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
No luck so far and I'm not sure I want to dedicate much more of my time on this trying to help a friend out with her computer.

Even the context menu (right click) is not working on the download page for the free version. So this must be INTENTIONAL.

The upgrade page pops up and the free version link is greyed out even with Spybot disabled, the mvps host file disabled and allowing scripts to run on the page.

Any programming team that can create an AV program, can surely create a webpage that works without requiring work arounds. Scripts apparently run on the page from cloudfront.net and the popup page issues are caused by http://static.avast.com. One more thing left to try.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
I don't know why it isn't working for you, I have just tried it with firefox 5.0 and clicked the No thanks, I want the free protection, see image1 when I hover over that button link and image2 the resultant download window in firefox to commence the download.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security