Author Topic: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203  (Read 187197 times)

max2

Re: ** NEW OFFICIAL AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE IS HERE ** VERSION 6.0.1203
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »

It works fine here with both Chrome and IE8.

It should work for everyone.

I'm not using chrome and I'm not using IE8, but it clearly doesn't work in Firefox 3.6.18 and in IE7. This is the ONLY webpage that has ever given me a download issue and it doesn't evade my attention that it happens when Avast wants to convince me to spend money on an upgrade. Perhaps the marketing people should be quarantined from the programmers.

Do I need to spend 30 min to diagnose a download issue? Disabled the hosts file, Spybot, cleared the cache, forced a page reload, etc.

The free download link is grayed out for me and the context menu is disabled. However, both work fine on all other parts of the Avast website ! That doesn't require much to understand.

So if I thought of suggesting my friend upgrade, I won't think of it now and won't recommend users incur such problems with Avast. This is rather amateur from a security vendor. Rather than a free download link, it can be relabeled as a security test. If you can't download, it means you've secured your computer by means other than just Avast.

max2

« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »
I don't know why it isn't working for you, I have just tried it with firefox 5.0 and clicked the No thanks, I want the free protection, see image1 when I hover over that button link and image2 the resultant download window in firefox to commence the download.

Nor do I.

Here's the IE7 issue and Firefox 3.618 issues.

Gargamel360

« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »
Look, I'm not lying, and I also still cling to OldFox 3.6.18, use it w/ NoScript, and it works fine.

If it was like this for everyone, your conspiracy theory might have some ground to stand on, but otherwise you just look to be blowing smoke out of your nether-region with such suppositions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:59 PM »
I don't know why it isn't working for you, I have just tried it with firefox 5.0 and clicked the No thanks, I want the free protection, see image1 when I hover over that button link and image2 the resultant download window in firefox to commence the download.

Nor do I.

I don't have IE7 so I can't test, same is true of FF 3.6.18. But do you have any add-ons in FF like no script or requestpolicy, etc. that might be getting in the way ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

max2

« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »
Look, I'm not lying, and I also still cling to OldFox 3.6.18, use it w/ NoScript, and it works fine.

If it was like this for everyone, your conspiracy theory might have some ground to stand on, but otherwise you just look to be blowing smoke out of your nether-region with such suppositions.

So are you suggesting that I am?

Just look at the images I posted and explain please. It works everywhere but here. So what's the reason? I'm stupid or don't know how to download?

max2

« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »
I don't have IE7 so I can't test, same is true of FF 3.6.18. But do you have any add-ons in FF like no script or requestpolicy, etc. that might be getting in the way ?

I disabled noscript, as well as Spybot S&D and removed all entries temporarily from the hosts file. Then I cleared the cache and forced a reload of the page. And I still get issues in both FF and in IE. Since I am not the only one that this has happened to, there must be a reason for this on this page.

You don't want to have users get hung up on downloading your program. You'd prefer they get hung up on configuration or compatibility issues.

max2

« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
Success.

I added Avast to the trusted zone in IE and also allowed all cookies. Then and only then did I notice that the context menu worked. While the Free link on the page still would not work, by using the context menu and forcing it to open a new tab, it was clickable in the new tab.

Gargamel360, if you read the precise link you pointed out http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81870.0, another user found out that the very same context menu trick worked to permit the download.

But that still does not excuse the coding problem on the page. I'm not a programmer (though I have programmed) and this should not happen on any properly coded static page designed for current web browsers.

I wasted a good 45 mins at least on this rather stupid issue.

Gargamel360

« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
Yeah, the "If it looks like a rat and smells like one, fill in the blank" policy doesn't taste as good when it is directed back at you, does it? ;)
I'm saying if you want to accuse someone of something like marketing deliberately fudging a website to pad paid versions (that is what the veiled "quarrantine the marketing from programmers" reference was for, was it not?), you should have more facts than "It doesn't work right for me", because your system is no more the center of the universe than mine is.  

Gargamel360, if you read the precise link you pointed out http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81870.0, another user found out that the very same context menu trick worked to permit the download.
I provided the link so you could read it, I'm not here to hold everyones hand, why would I read the whole thread if I have no problem DLing the file?   Anyway, good you got it working.

Dch48

« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »

Nor do I.

I can see the problem in IE7 , but where is the issue in FF? Just because the button is grey? That doesn't mean anything. If you click on it , it should work.

max2

« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »

Nor do I.

I can see the problem in IE7 , but where is the issue in FF? Just because the button is grey? That doesn't mean anything. If you click on it , it should work.

It doesn't work. That is the issue. It isn't just a color issue.

If you hover over the paid version, the adress that the link redirects to is listed. If you hover over the free version (gray link), there is nothing.

And if you see a problem being indicated in the IE7 page, then one might reasonably assume that there is a page error that might manifest itself possibly in other browsers or in other configurations. As a website, you want to fix such errors, not discount them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:38:52 AM by max2 »

max2

« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
Yeah, the "If it looks like a rat and smells like one, fill in the blank" policy doesn't taste as good when it is directed back at you, does it? ;)
I'm saying if you want to accuse someone of something like marketing deliberately fudging a website to pad paid versions (that is what the veiled "quarrantine the marketing from programmers" reference was for, was it not?), you should have more facts than "It doesn't work right for me", because your system is no more the center of the universe than mine is.  

Sorry, are you now calling me a "rat" in addition to calling me a liar? That's a pretty insulting analysis. So it merits a response. Perhaps you should refraining from helping if you are just going to insult those whose analysis you disagree with.

Let's start from the assumption that Avast customers aren't stupid, rather than from your assumption that they are.

Your "center of the universe" logic is rather flawed. Rather, like any detective, you look at clues. I have no issue with downloading from any other website. Haven't for over 14 years. (I worked for one of the first ISPs, as well as being a consultant to many web companies.) I also have no issue with any other link on any other Avast page. But I do have an issue clicking on a free link that leads me to a "Wait. Are you sure you don't want the paid Avast version" popup that then prevents the free link from continuing.

Those are all facts. Just as were the images showing the issues with IE displaying the precise page error.

On the other hand, your "it works here, so it must work" analysis is pretty weak. You test webpages with various browsers, various resolutions, and you fix "bugs" rather than discount them. 

Note, that I didn't tell you that it doesn't work for you. It did tell you that it didn't work for me. I did tell you all the steps that I took to resolve it. And I did tell you what I discovered.

Gargamel360

« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:40 AM »
What???? No, I'm not calling anyone a rat, you missed the point of my statement, but anyway....I never said you where lying either, really.  I tried to show you that "it doesn't work here" is no more valid than "it does work here", a statement you apparently agree with.  Flash, Javascript, etc, all factor into a webpage functioning (or not), not to mention anything else you might have installed, each pc is a fingerprint like that.  The only thing I strongly disagreed with was your marketing conspiracy statement (and that is what it was).  Also, I personally can't condone using IE7, therefore could give a flying duck less about problems with it, it is so out of date I wish all webpages would not work with it, using IE7 (and any other obsolete software) only contributes to the malware problem.

Anyway, I do sometimes make a p!$$-poor "Evangelist", and I am ok with that, but if I offended you through misinterpretation of what I said, I do apologize.  I hardly deliver "service with a smile",  but you are of course free to take that up with Avast!.

max2

« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
I did get the point of your statements. I just didn't agree with them.

I didn't assume that it didn't work for anyone else. Just that it didn't work for me, and apparently, some others.

I shared my user experience: The over the top install worked fine. Backing up of the program was a problem. "It doesn't work here" is always valid. Websites try to work for all users, not just some of them. So the exceptions, and there have been a few of them, show where improvements need to made.

You seem to have missed my points. How do you explain that this is the only download page that has not worked in 14 years? Or that is was the only page that required 45 minutes of effort? (Flash and javascript have nothing to do with it.) And that it is the only Avast link that doesn't work? And that the issue is caused by a "paid" popup that appears when one has already decided on the free version?

In case you don't keep up with security, as far as I know, IE7 is not obsolete. It is supported and actively patched by MS updates. (IE6 is not.) I've seen no report anywhere that properly configured it is less secure than IE8. Mind you, I don't use it and don't like any browser that integrates with the OS, but I your generalized statement seems to be lacking in substance. I used IE7 exclusively for the Avast download when FF 3.6.18 would not work.

The point remains that many users do use IE7, so the Avast download page should work for them. Disabling security also isn't a good practice just to make a download page work. And if the marketing people hadn't tried to push the paid update after the free link was selected, this issue would not occur for anyone. 

I didn't state it was a "conspiracy". What I stated was that "This is the ONLY webpage that has ever given me a download issue [a fact] and it doesn't evade my attention that it happens when Avast wants to convince me to spend money on an upgrade. [an analysis] Perhaps the marketing people should be quarantined from the programmers." [a tongue-in-cheek suggestion].   

Dch48

« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
It's well known that IE8 is more secure than IE7 and that IE9 is more secure than either one and maybe the most secure of all the browsers.

Just because one person has a problem on the site with IE7, doesn't mean everyone will either. Maybe compatibility mode would make a difference?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:05:10 AM by Dch48 »

max2

« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
It's well known that IE8 is more secure than IE7 and that IE9 is more secure than either one and maybe the most secure of all the browsers.

Just because one person has a problem on the site with IE7, doesn't mean everyone will either. Maybe compatibility mode would make a difference?

In other words, it some users have an issue, it should be ignored? Or the browser configuration is wrong for just this one page but works on a million other pages? That's possible but unlikely.

How do you also explain the image I posted of the IE7 page error:
Line: 31
Charcter: 1
Error: 'pageTracker is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Until Avast can explain it, the fault would seem to be on the page and not with the user!

As for IE8 being "well known" to be more secure, not from what I read on security forums. You'll see that there has been plenty of discussion about it in security forums and few defintive statements:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24567718-IE8-the-most-secure-browser-in-the-market-

http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE8-Blocked-Over-1-Billion-Malware-Download-Attempts-148943.shtml

Some like it, but there is nothing I've read anywhere which suggests that IE7 properly locked down is more insecure than IE8. If you have a source that suggests otherwise other than MS hyping their newest and latest browser, I'd be interested in reading it.

While I appreciate your suggestions, the fact remains that it took 45 minutes to dowload a file that would take 2 minutes on any other webpage. The average user won't change computers, operating systems, disable security protocols or configurations, etc. to download a file, and they won't have the patience to spend this much time diagnosing why the download doesn't work.