Author Topic: Update pop-up Avast! 6.0.1125  (Read 14502 times)

YXtanyaXY

Update pop-up Avast! 6.0.1125
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »
I have searched but cannot find a fix for Avast! 6.0.1125 and disabling the update pop-up message every time I boot the PC.
I did read that there is no option to disable gadgets in Avast! 6.0.1125 besides un and reinstalling it the program...

"How To: Disable Avast 6 Desktop Gadget"
http://www.davescomputertips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1247

I don't know what the gadget is and I do not want to get into <further> trouble.
So, how can I stop the update pop-up from popping up every time I boot or reboot the PC (whether I have updates set to auto or whether I don't)

(I have stopped the voice fwiw)
Thanks!

iroc9555

Re: Update pop-up Avast! 6.0.1125
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:54:25 AM »
YXtanyaXY.

Open Avast > Settings > Updates > Details. Uncheck " Show notification box after update "

Hope it helps.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:34:16 AM »
YXtanyaXY.

Open Avast > Settings > Updates > Details. Uncheck " Show notification box after update "

Hope it helps.

Hello and thanks for replying.
That did not work (alone) HOWEVER what I'm trying now is:
1. Keeping the "Show notification box after update" UNchecked
2. Enabling auto-updates (I'd had it set to: "Ask me when an update is available")
3. Auto-Update Interval:
Auto-Update every 2147483647 minutes (That is the highest number I can enter) which I think works out to:
24,855 days: This will FAR outlast the computer and likely me etc...
 ;)

BTW: It's Windows XP Home SP3
Thanks again!

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:18:47 AM »
I really do not know where you want to go with this, but Avast has at least two updates every day. You would have to do them manually every day.

It is not safe to surf the web or download files with Avast a few days outdated.

The only program that I allowe to update automatically in my PC is Avast.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:21:40 AM »
The reason for pop ups is that you had set it to "ask", so Avast was doing what you said it has to do.

If you don't want pop ups, you have 3 options.

A) leave automatic updates, and disable the pop ups (both have their relevant setting under "settings -> update"). Note: Do NOT confuse with the "settings -> popups" options, which is for something else.

B) instead of "ask" or "automatic", you can set it to "manual", so no "update pop ups".

C) "Silent mode". Note that there are 2 separate options with slightly different consequences. Silent mode is independent of the "update" mode ("auto", "ask", "manual").

Setting the automatic update mode and setting the "checking" periods to "many years" doesn't seem to be a logic move. I mean, you still want to be protected, correct?

Remember that if you chose the "ask" or "manual" update modes, you still need to manually update from time to time, even if you don't see the tray notifications about it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »
By disabling the updates you are leaving yourself at risk as you wont be recieving the latest updates for viruses, best to leave avast settings to default which will give you the best balance between protection and performance.
Just for your information the avast gadget isnt installed on xp systems as you dont have a sidebar.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
By disabling the updates you are leaving yourself at risk as you wont be recieving the latest updates for viruses, best to leave avast settings to default which will give you the best balance between protection and performance.
Just for your information the avast gadget isnt installed on xp systems as you dont have a sidebar.
The problem with the default settings for the OP is the tray notifications; he/she doesn't like them.
My suggestions were aimed at having automatic updates, and avoiding the notifications.

But, comparing to the new settings that the OP says to have set, I also gave some other possibilities, so to give him/her the final choice.

I indeed agree that using automatic database updates should be used whenever possible. The tray notifications have their own independent options.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
I really do not know where you want to go with this, but Avast has at least two updates every day. You would have to do them manually every day.

It is not safe to surf the web or download files with Avast a few days outdated.

I want the updates but not the voice and pop-up.
I would prefer not to set it to every 2147483647 minutes

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
Silent mode and disable sound on the main settings.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »

I want the updates but not the voice and pop-up.

No problem.

To disable the pop-ups, go to avast -> Settings -> Updates -> Details and uncheck "Show notification box after automatic update".

To disable the sound, go to avast -> Settings -> Sounds and in the Events box, uncheck "Automatic update".

HTH
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »
The reason for pop ups is that you had set it to "ask", so Avast was doing what you said it has to do.

If you don't want pop ups, you have 3 options.

A) leave automatic updates, and disable the pop ups (both have their relevant setting under "settings -> update"). Note: Do NOT confuse with the "settings -> popups" options, which is for something else.

B) instead of "ask" or "automatic", you can set it to "manual", so no "update pop ups".

C) "Silent mode". Note that there are 2 separate options with slightly different consequences. Silent mode is independent of the "update" mode ("auto", "ask", "manual").

Setting the automatic update mode and setting the "checking" periods to "many years" doesn't seem to be a logic move. I mean, you still want to be protected, correct?

Remember that if you chose the "ask" or "manual" update modes, you still need to manually update from time to time, even if you don't see the tray notifications about it.

Thanks
I'll follow the above... I do want updates just not the pop-up.....
Although if the above doesn't work for me (it is for 6.x right?) I'll just live with it.
Thanks again
P.S. My method (2147483647 minutes) has abolished the pop-up, voice and updates fwiw

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Look the post of Vlk. Its simply describ all you need !!!!!!

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
I do want updates just not the pop-up.....
Although if the above doesn't work for me (it is for 6.x right?) I'll just live with it.
Thanks again
P.S. My method (2147483647 minutes) has abolished the pop-up, voice and updates fwiw

Yes, "your method" just means that Avast won't be updated for so many minutes, so, no updates at all, and no notifications at all :).

So, use the option A) above (change both relevant settings in the "settings -> updates" tab), reset the database to "automatic" updates and reset the update checks to 240 minutes.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
Thanks craigb:

In the meantime reading all the helpful posts, I would rather have the pop-up and updates and voice....
Now even with auto updates enabled to every 240 minutes (= 4 hours) it's no longer updating - it states "last attempt (today) 10 min ago" (when I started the PC)
What is the default for auto-updates (under "update every ___ minutes")?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
The default is 240 mins but can be set to 120 min at the lowest for the free version, but if there is no update in that time it will check at the next interval, usually about two updates a day.
Latest def's are 110706-0
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:27:46 PM by craigb »