Author Topic: Update pop-up Avast! 6.0.1125  (Read 14503 times)

YXtanyaXY

Re: Update pop-up Avast! 6.0.1125
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
Thanks ady4um:

By disabling the updates you are leaving yourself at risk as you wont be recieving the latest updates for viruses, best to leave avast settings to default which will give you the best balance between protection and performance.
Just for your information the avast gadget isnt installed on xp systems as you dont have a sidebar.
The problem with the default settings for the OP is the tray notifications; he/she doesn't like them.
My suggestions were aimed at having automatic updates, and avoiding the notifications.

But, comparing to the new settings that the OP says to have set, I also gave some other possibilities, so to give him/her the final choice.

I indeed agree that using automatic database updates should be used whenever possible. The tray notifications have their own independent options.
I think I have fixed the problem: Although not sure how:
There is no pop-up, no voice HOWEVER: I rebooted and tried to manually update and under updates (using the taskbar icon right click) -> update ... get the message: "engine and defs ... already up to date"

BTW I think Avast! is a very very good program!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
You wont get a popup or voice unless there is and auto update or a detection, manual update does not give popups or voice.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
Thanks Mr.Agent:

Silent mode and disable sound on the main settings.

Silent / gaming is unchecked (the one under it is checked (full screen application...))
As mentioned it's silent, no pop-ups but it is updating (automatically)

I have the free antivirus version (6.0.1125) (Windows XP home SP3): The "Help" is not very explanatory. Is the paid version's "Help" more helpful?

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Here's a question. If you look at the maintenance tab and it says the last update attempt was like 3 hours ago and you decide to do a manual check and it doesn't find anything new, does that reset the timer for auto-updating? Or will it still auto check in another hour?

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »
Thanks Mr.Agent:
And that's what you wanted, right? Automatic database updates but with no notifications.
I have the free antivirus version (6.0.1125) (Windows XP home SP3): The "Help" is not very explanatory. Is the paid version's "Help" more helpful?
I'm not sure what exactly is not included in the help file or that was not answered here. Am I missing something? Any doubts? Questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »
Hi Mr.Agent:
I have lost track of replies!

Look the post of Vlk. Its simply describ all you need !!!!!!
I agree 100% that autoupdates should be enabled. (for engine and definitions).
I had run (on bad advice) comboFix several weeks ago and it removed the registry key for AvastUI.exe (start-up). I had to start the program manually. I had forgotten and windows (MS something) informed me I'd gotten threats. (Avast! warns me to leave the Web site) in time.

"[SOLVED] How to get Avast! Antivrus to auto run (on boot) and logs"
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80111.0

I just did not *like* (dumb reason in retrospect) the pop-up and voice.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Thanks ady4um:
NB: My replies to the following post are in red

I do want updates just not the pop-up.....
Although if the above doesn't work for me (it is for 6.x right?) I'll just live with it.
Thanks again
P.S. My method (2147483647 minutes) has abolished the pop-up, voice and updates fwiw

Yes, "your method" just means that Avast won't be updated for so many minutes, so, no updates at all, and no notifications at all :).

So, use the option A) above (change both relevant settings in the "settings -> updates" tab), reset the database to "automatic" updates and reset the update checks to 240 minutes.

It is set to 240 minutes and as noted elsewhere in the thread:
I have autoupdates enabled every 240 min.
I am not getting voice or pop-ups.
BUT:
I am getting updates:
Confirmed by:
If I attempt manual updates:
Avast! task bar icon: right click - Update -> engine and definitions:
Message appears:
"engine and defs already up to date"

Thanks Mr.Agent:
And that's what you wanted, right? Automatic database updates but with no notifications.
Yes!
I'm not sure what exactly is not included in the help file or that was not answered here. Am I missing something? Any doubts? Questions? Don't hesitate to ask.
Please disregard the above about the help file: I think it was my error - If I note any deficiency in the free version AV help file I will start another thread.

jnsson

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »
I have always set it to every 60 min and it works and I using Avast Free Antivirus

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »
I have always set it to every 60 min and it works and I using Avast Free Antivirus
The minimum update checking interval for avast free is 120 mins, default is 240 mins.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
The minimum update checking interval for avast free is 120 mins, default is 240 mins.

The old VPS update settings policy was if you set it to less than 120 minutes, it was ignored and you got the default 240.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Free AV: 120 minutes ( = 2 hours)
Pro AV, AIS: 15 minutes
The best things in life are free.

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
Hi,
Sorry - I don't know who I have answered or thanked but I thank everyone for their help!
Compared to the alternative (malware), I am all for auto-updates at the default intervals (free version = 240 minutes and this fine with me....)

I wonder however, if the pop-up and the voice take a lot of system resources? (vs. having the auto-updates without the audio-visual "announcements")

Thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
Any resource use for the audio and visual notification pale into insignificance to what is already in use on your system. Probably KBs and not much of that and microseconds of CPU time.

You are in dire straits if you would really need to consider this as an option to saving resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
I wonder however, if the pop-up and the voice take a lot of system resources? (vs. having the auto-updates without the audio-visual "announcements")

Not really. (On any newer system.)
But you can always test it out with different settings, if you should experience any slowdowns.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
Any resource use for the audio and visual notification pale into insignificance to what is already in use on your system. Probably KBs and not much of that and microseconds of CPU time.

You are in dire straits if you would really need to consider this as an option to saving resources.
LOL
Luckily not on that system but on my 5 year old Windows XP SP_2 celeron with its 256 mbs of ram I am - I'll give it a try.....(Avast! 5.0.545 manually up-to-date)
And if it survives will post back....