Author Topic: Problem- Avast issue with BTinternet adresses  (Read 4443 times)

chrispyduck

Problem- Avast issue with BTinternet adresses
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »
Hi
I use Outlook as my email client which has been collecting my mail happily for ages with avast as the antivirus. Something has changed in the last few days as I am now getting an error collecting/sending to my **@btinternet.com address.
An Avast window popped up saying something about SSL should be disabled and to let Avast mange security.
I have checked my btinternet account and it says it doesnt use SSL
I am unsure if something has changed at BT or Avast.
Any advice?
Thanks
Chris

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problem- Avast issue with BTinternet adresses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:47:42 AM »
I take it you mean Outlook Express ?
If so also ensure that your log-on also isn't secure.

I have a btinternet account and the weird thing is that there are no entries in the avastUI, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts. The reason for this is that Yahoo handles the betinternet email, at least it does for mine and there are two entries for Yahoo.com (pop3 port 110, none and smtp port 465, SSL.

My account still works but I now use Thunderbird for my default email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chrispyduck

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
Im using Outlook (office 2007)
Like you say there are no entries for the btinternet domain in the "expert settings", I have tried playing around with that and using BT's alternate ports (110/587) but no joy.
The only workarounds at the moment is to go to the webmail for btinternet and set the mail to be forwarded to my yahoo account (which works fine)or just turn of the email scanning!
If I cant get it sorted soon I will have to uninstall Avast and use something else :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
OK, same, same really in MS Outlook there is probably something to use secure logon to the email server, that would mean Outpost creating a secure connection and the Mail Shield being locked out of the process.

Can you post the full text of the error window or attach a screenshot of just the error window (additional Options in the Reply window) ?

You should have two Yahoo.com entries in the SSL Accounts, as in my image (click to expand), are they the same settings ?

As far as uninstalling goes you could simply elect not to have avast email, but that isn't ideal by any means as I don't know if btinternet, a.k.a. Yahoo scan their email on the servers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chrispyduck

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
I dont have a screen shot but Avast was saying words to the effect of "turn off your email's SSL, Avast will handle the security"
The setup for my @btinternet mail in Outlook requires SSL to be unchecked anyway so dont know whats going on here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
Then there is still something in your btinternet account settings and I suspect that is the transmission of the username and password securely. You have to find that in Outlook and ensure the transmission is not secure. I can't tell you where to look I don't use Outlook.

But a 15 google and it is done, http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/520/How+can+I+setup+email+in+Outlook%3F#gs/configure-outlook-2007, scroll down to the image Section 7 and 8 and ensure that anything related to secure communication is unchecked.