Author Topic: Script Shield Needed?  (Read 3459 times)

Tgell

Script Shield Needed?
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if the Script Shield is really needed. Vlk in a previous post stated that Script Shield will be replaced with something new fairly soon. If I get rid of it through the control panel, will I be able to reinstall the new module through control panel when it arrives or will I be forced to do a complete install?

Thanks

Dch48

Re: Script Shield Needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
If it's being replaced, it will be done in a Program Update, a new release version of Avast. I'm sure that the updating procedure will handle it on it's own.

DBone

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
Glad to hear that they are replacing it. On my x64 W7 machine, it won't scan a single script unless I open Windows Media Player. It does scan scripts on my x32 XP machine however. I just uninstalled it on the x64 system................Good riddance! :P

Tgell

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
Glad to hear that they are replacing it. On my x64 W7 machine, it won't scan a single script unless I open Windows Media Player. It does scan scripts on my x32 XP machine however. I just uninstalled it on the x64 system................Good riddance! :P

It's not even being used on Media Player now.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81113.msg663063#msg663063

Dch48: Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:14:39 PM by Tgell »

DBone

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »

It's not even being used on Media Player now.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81113.msg663063#msg663063

Dch48: Thanks for the info.

Wow, I missed that thread. :o

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:38:40 AM »
Hello,
I was wondering if the Script Shield is really needed. Vlk in a previous post stated that Script Shield will be replaced with something new fairly soon. If I get rid of it through the control panel, will I be able to reinstall the new module through control panel when it arrives or will I be forced to do a complete install?

Thanks

It is beneficial for all version of IE8 and lower.

I think that it might also be beneficial for XP,

When I say beneficial I mean that the Script Shield will make XP and IE8 and lower more secure.

It is not that beneficial for IE9 and above or Windows 7 and above because they were designed to eliminate the scripting problems that existed in XP and IE8 and lower.

That is my understanding.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:42:10 AM by Nesivos »