Author Topic: Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 killed by Avast! 6 installation (repost)  (Read 16918 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 killed by Avast! 6 installation (repost)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
I honestly can't understand why you would go against the advice of Agnitum and its compatibility mode, however that is entirely your choice but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for all.

+1 Pay attention to DavidR he has more experience and understand how the software works between Avast and Outpost together trust me cause I can see a huge difference between both software, otherwise you're not learning and you do look like you're talking to yourself in the mirror 8)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
Well I haven't got a huge in depth knowledge of the inner workings of Outpost Firewall Pro, but I have been using avast and the Outpost Firewall for over 7 years.

The major thing is just check out the features in the web control and compare with the web shield and see what else it brings, virtually everything it has is covered by the web shield (ans script shield), other than blocking adverts, big deal, that is in every browser that I have ever used.

So as I said it brings little to the party other than possible conflict, not just with the Web Shield but the Network Shield's Malicious sites blocking ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
DavidR you've got over 7 years experience using Outpost mean you have a greater understanding how it works where most people don't (true or false), and as for me I still learning Outpost Pro since I've been using Comodo FW for nearly 5 years as Comodo starting to heavier on XP. And I'll bet you any day that Ashish has so much to learn between Avast and Outpost which means he hasn't master it yet ;)

Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Pumpernikiel

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Agnitum just relased OFP 7.5.1 and all I can say it fixed my problems with OFP 7.5. All I can say is that with 99% probability Avast wasn't responsible for my problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
I would tend to agree with that.

I have just installed 7.5.1 on my XP system, install over the top of 7.5 and I have to say I'm disappointed. It recognises I have 7.5 installed and offers an update and then ploughs ahead and installs the Anti-Spyware and Web Control, despite a) I did a previous custom install (unchecking the anti-spyware and web control modules) and b) even though it recognises avast, which I acknowledged and I still got the sodding anti-spyware and web control modules even though I unchecking them again.

So I have ended up doing a clean reinstall (yet again), using Expert mode to get rid of the cr*p anti-spyware and web control modules.

If I have one thing against outpost it is the pathetic update policy, why they just can't do an in place user interface program update like avast and numerous other without having to download the full installation is beyond me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

scrub

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

I have just installed 7.5.1 on my XP system, install over the top of 7.5 and I have to say I'm disappointed. It recognises I have 7.5 installed and offers an update and then ploughs ahead and installs the Anti-Spyware and Web Control, despite a) I did a previous custom install (unchecking the anti-spyware and web control modules) and b) even though it recognises avast, which I acknowledged and I still got the sodding anti-spyware and web control modules even though I unchecking them again.

So I have ended up doing a clean reinstall (yet again), using Expert mode to get rid of the cr*p anti-spyware and web control modules.

If I have one thing against outpost it is the pathetic update policy, why they just can't do an in place user interface program update like avast and numerous other without having to download the full installation is beyond me.

i installed 7.5.1 over 7.5 and all went okay. it checked compatibility to avast and then unchecked anti-spyware and web control and i'm done. i checked my setiings and they are disabled.  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
I don't want them just disabled I don't want those elements installed, which is why I did a custom Expert install for the 7.5 install.

Disabled still does anti-spyware stuff in the background, it allows scheduled anti-spyware scans, it places an entry in the windows explorer context menu. To achieve all of these it updates the anti-spyware signatures, so essentially all it is doing it stopping the resident protection.

Which isn't what I want and nor was it what I had the current installation set up for, so clearly it isn't 'just' updating my existing installation or it would respect my current installation and settings.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »

I was also wondering and get to ask PR Manager. Here is what she says...which is not looking promising
I am the anonymous in the second post

Thanks
Ash
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:25:36 AM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

scrub

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
I don't want them just disabled I don't want those elements installed, which is why I did a custom Expert install for the 7.5 install.

Disabled still does anti-spyware stuff in the background, it allows scheduled anti-spyware scans, it places an entry in the windows explorer context menu. To achieve all of these it updates the anti-spyware signatures, so essentially all it is doing it stopping the resident protection.

Which isn't what I want and nor was it what I had the current installation set up for, so clearly it isn't 'just' updating my existing installation or it would respect my current installation and settings.

you're the man. i reinstalled following your advice. lol :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »
You're welcome, I have been having my own fun and games with outpost 7.5.1 on my win7 netbook.

Whilst this might be off topic for this particular outpost issue.

But I have just spent a few of hours battling with a BSOD and Outpost 7.5.1 installed on my win7 netbook.

I did a clean install because of what I mentioned above about update installs modules not in the original installation. The first reboot was fine, when I then entered my license and imported my previous configuration settings (which I had exported prior to uninstall). Since that was late last night I just shutdown my netbook and went to bed.

This morning I started it up and BSOD started my desktop and did some searching on the BSOD stop: 0x0000007E (0xC000005, ...., ...., ....) and nothing of much use. Well knowing the last installation was the Outpost 7.5.1 Installation, tried to boot into safe mode to uninstall. Had to go through the win7 repair attempt, unable to repair anything, finally I was able to uninstall and reboot and no problem.

I went through the clean install and associated BSOD, win7 repair, safe mode, uninstall  hassle twice more with the same result. Finally I installed it entered the key and didn't bother importing the saved configuration settings from 7.5 and this booted into normal mode.

So for whatever reason, 7.5.1 didn't like the 7.5 configuration settings to the point of it resulting in a BSOD. I have done a few reboots since and no further BSOD problems, fingers firmly crossed.

Pumpernikiel

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »

This is quite interesting. I've asked Agnitum support about installation process
and disabled modules. Here it goes:

> I would like to know if the Anti-Spyware and Web Control modules are
> disabled for compatibility reasons and don't actually run, can I i
> count such situation as if I had never check them to install during
> the installation process?
>
> Agnitum's answer:
> Yes, you can. There is no difference in these situations.

This statement contradicts what You have wrote about....:-/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
In all honestly I have found the outpost firewall forum most frustrating on the rare occasions that I resorted to it.

I can only recount my personal experience, from what was a clean install of 7.5.0, expert install where I didn't install the web control or anti-spyware; I installed 7.5.1 over the top of 7.5.0 and it recognised that was installed and offered an update of the existing installation. Now even though I didn't have the web control or anti-spyware modules installed and in the compatibility screen I unchecked the web control and anti-spyware options, they were installed (all be it disabled) and as I said I didn't want them disabled I didn't want them installed, period.

Why else would I go to that trouble in the expert install only for the update to ride roughshod over my previous decision. So I had to once again uninstall outpost, reboot and do
a clean expert install, crazy and bloody frustrating.

So you simply aren't getting the full story in the answer you got, I have run in compatibility mode previously and it was only in 7.5 when they introduced some other functionality in the anti-spyware module that I realised that it is still running in other areas, there for context menu and on-demand scans as I said these would require that the anti-spyware modules signatures were updated. There is also the option to Submit suspicious files for analysis in the ImproveNet, now I'm wondering how this is achieved without the anti-spyware. Not to mention I unchecked the ImproveNet option during the install, yet here is another example of it not complying with my install options.

I have anti-spyware protection coming out of my wazoo I don't need or want another. I have simple needs and that is for my firewall to be just that a bloody good firewall and let me take care of the rest or at the very least comply with my options on installation or update.

That is why I'm so pissed after many, many years of using outpost that they haven't come up with a program update from the GUI that 'only updates' the components you have installed.

miscreant

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
Well I haven't got a huge in depth knowledge of the inner workings of Outpost Firewall Pro, but I have been using avast and the Outpost Firewall for over 7 years.

The major thing is just check out the features in the web control and compare with the web shield and see what else it brings, virtually everything it has is covered by the web shield (ans script shield), other than blocking adverts, big deal, that is in every browser that I have ever used.

So as I said it brings little to the party other than possible conflict, not just with the Web Shield but the Network Shield's Malicious sites blocking ;D

I would say that if you have avast behavior shield installed ,there's also a very strong possibility of conflict with outpost.Id use one or the other.Personally i have far less problems ,since i reinstalled AVAST without the behavior shield.IMO there's no need for it if you are using outpost and its hips features.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
I have had no conflict with avast and outpost when in compatibility mode or on a custom install without the web control or anti-spyware installed and the avast behavior shield installed. I will go further ans say I haven't had a single entry in the behavior shield log relating to any outpost component/file.

If you care to read my other posts I don't exclude any outpost folder and only one outpost file C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall Pro\wl_hook.dll (something I did way back in avast 4.8 that I carried forward) and that is in the file system shield, nothing in the behavior shield and no problems.

Not to mention it really is nothing to do with the outpost issue I recounted above or the same problem would exist with or without importing saved configurations.

miscreant

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
Hi David..
Do you have "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in behavior shield unticked?,while running outpost?.If not don't you think there may be a possibility of conflict with outposts proactive protection there?.