Author Topic: Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 killed by Avast! 6 installation (repost)  (Read 16922 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 killed by Avast! 6 installation (repost)
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
Hi David..
Do you have "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in behavior shield unticked?,while running outpost?.If not don't you think there may be a possibility of conflict with outposts proactive protection there?.

No I don't it is enabled as it is a default setting and I haven't had and conflict since this was introduced in early avast6 testing. So I have had these settings on two systems XP Pro and win7 and no conflict with the behavior shield from when this was introduced early in avast6 beta trial and regular builds. My problem with outpost in the win7 system could hardly be down to any conflict as it never even got to boot.

I have the outpost system guard enabled and essentially cover unauthorised system modifications and don't really see that as a problem either, if avast gets in first on an area and blocks a change to the system then outlook wouldn't see it and vice versa, one would have to be first.

I don't have the File & Folder lock enabled (default setting I believe) as I don't have any folders I'm overly concerned with.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:26:16 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

scrub

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 05:13:29 AM »
You're welcome, I have been having my own fun and games with outpost 7.5.1 on my win7 netbook.

Whilst this might be off topic for this particular outpost issue.

But I have just spent a few of hours battling with a BSOD and Outpost 7.5.1 installed on my win7 netbook.

I did a clean install because of what I mentioned above about update installs modules not in the original installation. The first reboot was fine, when I then entered my license and imported my previous configuration settings (which I had exported prior to uninstall). Since that was late last night I just shutdown my netbook and went to bed.

This morning I started it up and BSOD started my desktop and did some searching on the BSOD stop: 0x0000007E (0xC000005, ...., ...., ....) and nothing of much use. Well knowing the last installation was the Outpost 7.5.1 Installation, tried to boot into safe mode to uninstall. Had to go through the win7 repair attempt, unable to repair anything, finally I was able to uninstall and reboot and no problem.

I went through the clean install and associated BSOD, win7 repair, safe mode, uninstall  hassle twice more with the same result. Finally I installed it entered the key and didn't bother importing the saved configuration settings from 7.5 and this booted into normal mode.

So for whatever reason, 7.5.1 didn't like the 7.5 configuration settings to the point of it resulting in a BSOD. I have done a few reboots since and no further BSOD problems, fingers firmly crossed.

I am getting frequent BSODs after installing 7.5.1

should i revert to 7.5?

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 05:14:37 AM »
Hi ,
      He said agnitum support not the forum  ;D. I also confirm that agnitum people from "support@agnitum.com" told me that these features does not conflict with avast  :o atleast web control don't as I am using it and don't find any conflicts.
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 06:37:10 AM »

should i revert to 7.5?
Try uninstalling in safe mode and then a reinstall, worked for me.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »

should i revert to 7.5?

+1 ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

miscreant

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »
Hi David..
Do you have "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in behavior shield unticked?,while running outpost?.If not don't you think there may be a possibility of conflict with outposts proactive protection there?.

No I don't it is enabled as it is a default setting and I haven't had and conflict since this was introduced in early avast6 testing. So I have had these settings on two systems XP Pro and win7 and no conflict with the behavior shield from when this was introduced early in avast6 beta trial and regular builds. My problem with outpost in the win7 system could hardly be down to any conflict as it never even got to boot.

I have the outpost system guard enabled and essentially cover unauthorised system modifications and don't really see that as a problem either, if avast gets in first on an area and blocks a change to the system then outlook wouldn't see it and vice versa, one would have to be first.

I don't have the File & Folder lock enabled (default setting I believe) as I don't have any folders I'm overly concerned with.

I guess it depends in part on a users OS /setup etc.All im saying is that 2 web scanners could = slow internet /page loading etc.2 hips or behavior blockers is much more likely to cause bsods and erratic behavior of an OS.

scrub

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »

should i revert to 7.5?

reinstall in safe mode?

no more BSODs?

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »

should i revert to 7.5?

reinstall in safe mode?

no more BSODs?

craigb means uninstalling in safe mode and reinstall in normal windows (not in safe mode) ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

scrub

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »

should i revert to 7.5?

reinstall in safe mode?

no more BSODs?

craigb means uninstalling in safe mode and reinstall in normal windows (not in safe mode) ;)

i uninstalled 7.5.1 in normal windows and reinstalled 7.5.0 in normal windows too. seems working fine. if I want to reinstall 7.5.1, should i uninstall 7.5.0 in safe mode and reinstall 7.5.1 in normal windows?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
I would try installing over top first and if that doesn't work and you get BSOD'S then use safe mode to uninstall and reinstall 7.5.1 in normal mode.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Hi David..

I guess it depends in part on a users OS /setup etc.All im saying is that 2 web scanners could = slow internet /page loading etc.2 hips or behavior blockers is much more likely to cause bsods and erratic behavior of an OS.

The problem being you weren't talking about web scanning, but the outpost outpost proactive protection (not the web control) and the avast "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications."

I have said quite clearly I do a clean install so I don't have the web control or anti-spyware modules installed (or use the outpost compatibility mode where these resident options are disabled). Plus as I have said I haven't had any conflict in regard of Outpost and avast's  "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications," function.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:34:35 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
DavidR before you did anything to do a clean install from v7.5 to v7.5.1, did you backup your v7.5 settings everything etc etc before you did a clean install. When you did a install v7.5.1 did you have any problem importing your last backup settings into the latest Outpost Pro, did you have any further problem BSOD etc etc is yours running smooth so far ???

Just checking if you don't mind me asking ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
I always export my setting before doing either an update or clean install. The last thing I want is to start from scratch again.

The only reason I'm forced to do a clean install is the update fails to take a blind bit of notice of my existing configuration (no web control or anti-spyware installed) and even worse my wished in the actual update install. It installs modules that weren't previously installed, albeit disabled, but as I said I don't want it disabled, I don't sodding want it installed, that really does pi** me off.

Its a great firewall; my gripe is the pi** poor installation not honouring my wishes/settings, the total lack of an update from the GUI, so only the components installed get updated. Having to download the complete installation file for every update however minor (like this one 0.0.1 increment) and an update that doesn't actually update but installs components you got rid of.

All of the above forces me to do a clean install, having exported my configurations and importing them into the new install, this has worked without problem in the past. This time round importing the 7.5 settings for some reason completely breaks 7.5.1 causing a BSOD on the next boot after importing on my win7 SP1 netbook. But no such problem in doing that on this XP Pro SP3 system.

scrub

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
I would try installing over top first and if that doesn't work and you get BSOD'S then use safe mode to uninstall and reinstall 7.5.1 in normal mode.

i tried installing 7.5.1 over 7.5.0 then entered safe mode and uninstalled 7.5.1, prompted to reboot, then installed 7.5.1 in normal mode.hope it won't give me BSODs anymore. sigh..  :-\ :-\ :-\