Author Topic: Outstanding (with a few questions)  (Read 4036 times)

toadbee

Outstanding (with a few questions)
« on: October 26, 2004, 12:05:13 AM »
Outstanding work guys, been running it for 2 days... and I can't find anything wrong  ;D

With the new email protection (using xp pro) can I configure non-tradiational ports? IMAP for example, i need 143 to be monitored but I need to add another port for Imap as well ?

Can I exclude a procees from the on access scan? or just "Areas" of the hard drive?

thanks - really a great product ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Outstanding (with a few questions)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 03:27:40 AM »
With the new email protection (using xp pro) can I configure non-traditional ports? IMAP for example, i need 143 to be monitored but I need to add another port for Imap as well ?

As far I know, avast! will monitor email traffic not a specific port. I use two ports to monitor emails and all messages are being scanned as far I noticed.

Can I exclude a procees from the on access scan? or just "Areas" of the hard drive?

As far I know, again, I think not. Only 'areas' could be scanned or excluded  ;)
Well, you can scan the file (.exe) of the process but I think it's not the same scanning the running process on memory and scanning the file on disk.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:41:02 AM »
It IS bound to specific ports. It would really be hard to do it otherwise (there would have to be a hook on every connection that would heuristically detect if this is a SMTP, POP3 or IMAP communication or not...).

The ports are governed by (yes you guessed it) some entries in the avast INI file, <avast>\data\avast4.ini.

In particular, the following settings are relevant:

[MailScanner]
PopRedirectPort=110
SmtpRedirectPort=25
ImapRedirectPort=143

(these may not be present in your INI file but are used anyway, with the default values stated above). The trick is that the Port entries actually support multiple ports, separated by commas. That is, if you want to use ports 143 AND 666, you'd simply have the following line in your ini file:

ImapRedirectPort=143,666

For the changes to become effective, e.g. restart the Internet Mail provider.

Thanks
Vlk

PS. Unfortunately it's currently not possible to exclude a process from on-access scanning.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:49:26 AM »
Hm,i can impliment this into AEC :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 01:43:27 PM »
It IS bound to specific ports. It would really be hard to do it otherwise (there would have to be a hook on every connection that would heuristically detect if this is a SMTP, POP3 or IMAP communication or not...).

Sorry my wrong guess...

The ports are governed by (yes you guessed it) some entries in the avast INI file, <avast>\data\avast4.ini.

In particular, the following settings are relevant:

[MailScanner]
PopRedirectPort=110
SmtpRedirectPort=25
ImapRedirectPort=143

(these may not be present in your INI file but are used anyway, with the default values stated above). The trick is that the Port entries actually support multiple ports, separated by commas. That is, if you want to use ports 143 AND 666, you'd simply have the following line in your ini file:

ImapRedirectPort=143,666
For the changes to become effective, e.g. restart the Internet Mail provider.
Thanks
Vlk

Thanks, more three settings for avast4.ini file. I'll update the thread soon.  8)

PS. Unfortunately it's currently not possible to exclude a process from on-access scanning.

Right shot from me  8)
The best things in life are free.

toadbee

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Vlk - Very cool on the email protection - thats an important function :)

Well maybe in the future on the excluding processes - I only have a few programs that it effects - so no biggie.

Thanks,