Author Topic: Just Conducted First Scan Using Avast! Mac Edition / 42128 TAR archive corrupted  (Read 7964 times)

willnotsmith

Hi there,

So I just ran my first scan, and I received some "42128 TAR archive is corrupted" in my Python.framework folder.  Three of them, exactly. (a couple of them are testtar.tar and one is 30=atime=1041808783.000000000) Is this bad, and if so how bad is this exactly?   And how can I repair this, if even possible?

Thanks in advance.  (And sadly, I don't know tooooo much about computers.)  :T

- Will

Lucasavast!

willnotsmith: I don't think you have to worry, I just bought a mac and avast! was the first program I installed on it. I scanned the computer right away and exactly the same thing happened to me, except I had 2 decompression bombs too (system.log.3, bootroot.loader.dmg).  :)

avast!: Is the decompression bombs anything to worry about or should I just leave them? ???

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Hi there,

So I just ran my first scan, and I received some "42128 TAR archive is corrupted" in my Python.framework folder.  Three of them, exactly. (a couple of them are testtar.tar and one is 30=atime=1041808783.000000000) Is this bad, and if so how bad is this exactly?   And how can I repair this, if even possible?

Thanks in advance.  (And sadly, I don't know tooooo much about computers.)  :T

- Will

Hallo,
decompression bombs are usually just archives with very high compression ratio.
The corrupted tar archive might be some unsupoported extension, could you send it to cimbal@avast.com, please?

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

dshallen

I also have several of these TAR archive is corrected, as well as ZIP archive is corrupted and OLE archive is corrupted. These seem to be warnings -- what does that mean? Should I delete them?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
I also have several of these TAR archive is corrected, as well as ZIP archive is corrupted and OLE archive is corrupted. These seem to be warnings -- what does that mean? Should I delete them?

hallo,
nope, it's just strange property of a particular archive - nothing severe, usually.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)