Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Outlook Express E-mail not working since updated to 6.0.1203....HELP!

<< < (3/4) > >>

lee88:
Turned off firewall and still a problem.

DavidR:
This could be a long and drawn out experience, I asked questions and for an image of the error window in order to get a better understanding of your problem without information we are working in the dark, just guessing.

lee88:
I don't know what else I can tell you that I haven't already. I don't know how to do a 'screen shot' but I copied the exact error message below that I get from outlook express when I try to send/receive mail and when the 'scan inbound/outbound messages' boxes in avast are checked. As I said, right after the update, when these are checked I can't send/receive email and get:

"The server responded with an error.  Mail Account', Server: 'pop.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 209.86.93.203 (209.86.93.203:587), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

DavidR:
OK, now we have something to work with.

First from one of the IPs it shows that it is using a secure port, that's the :587 bit on the end of the bracketed IP.

This indicates the connection attempted was secure.
Does your earthlink email require a secure connection ?
e.g. did you make any changes to your OE account settings (disable SSL) to enable avast to scan your email ?

If you did need to use SSL and had to change that for avast to work, ensure that your password is also set to use no encryption, as avast would handle the secure connection.

If earthlink.net doesn't need SSL (and personally I think it might I have seen something like this before) then ensure that the avastUI, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts entry for that email account is set to Encryption = None.

####
It could also just be server problems at your ISP as you said it worked for a while and then stopped again. Intermittent faults aren't good as this should either fail all the time or work if the settings were incorrect it wouldn't work at all. http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/121876-oe-wont-accept-my-password.html

lee88:
Thanks, I appreciate your time. I made no changes to OE settings and it doesn't require a secured connection, or at least I never had that box checked. I made sure that in avast expert settings all encryptions are set to none. I'm not going to dwell on this, at least I can send/receive email now, they're just not being scanned. And from what I understand that's not crucial, especially if earthlink scans emails for viruses too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version