Author Topic: Best Firewall (from all Angles?) with Avast AV Free...  (Read 33409 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Best Firewall (from all Angles?) with Avast AV Free...
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
By bloated i mean big download and huge on the harddrive with lots of processes sucking up resources.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
I love more bloated than others like Avira is doing now lol.

My god... Just now we can see who the best. avast! and MSE. I hope those two will keep away of those ask toolbar and thing...

PS : Sorry if im being paranoid but now i look that Avira topic on wilders omg...

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
PC Tools Firewall Plus is bugware like OA fw. ::)
Actually pctools firewall is very good in my trialing of it, standard install with nothing touched and it passed all my tests 100% and was probably the lightest firewall iv ever tried, is also now owned by Symantec.
The only person that would call OA bugware would be a zone alarm fanboy who obviously has no real idea about a good firewall, rdmaloyjr you praised ZoneAlarm to everyone and it was the best thing since sliced bread but now you've moved on to unrated FortKnox  ::) ;D

craigb,

I haven't moved to FortKnox fw, I'm just taking it for a test drive.  Maybe I will if I like it enough. ;)  Sometimes I like to try out other software.

PC Tools Firewall Plus is the second most used by me.  OA may be the third most used by me.  I don't live in the past, sometimes I retry software that I've used before. 

I liked OA, but it's just too buggy.  I really liked Privatefirewall a lot.  I hope they get it right.

If so, ZA will have some good compitition.  Privatefirewall will have the upper hand as Privatefirewall has good support.

For now ZA is the best fw.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
In YOUR opinion. ;)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
PC Tools Firewall Plus is bugware like OA fw. ::)
Actually pctools firewall is very good in my trialing of it, standard install with nothing touched and it passed all the known tests 100% and was probably the lightest firewall iv ever tried, is also now owned by Symantec.
The only person that would call OA bugware would be a zone alarm fanboy who obviously has no real idea about a good firewall, rdmaloyjr you praised ZoneAlarm to everyone and it was the best thing since sliced bread but now you've moved on to unrated FortKnox  ::) ;D

I think Symantec will got a good partner with them.

Never known that its 100 % the test nice job from them then. ;)

ZoneAlarm alway require a registration for it so im like is it really needed for a firewall that is free... They could do like make an auto registration or like avast! on UI that you can register and its activate you automaticly... But that would be of course pure copy and maybe dissapointed from avast! or Zone Alarm customers.

I can say first view of PC Tools make me a very easy to setup, use firewall and very light.

Mr.Agent,

ZoneAlarm Free doesn't require registration.  I know, I use it.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
I did try Privatefirewall but manual manual manual its get tired for me to reinstall it lol. So my next choice was PC Tools and i hope they wont get it like Avira !!! If its that then Windows Firewall with Windows 7 Control is my next combo and its look just awesome that i would want to try out now LOL.... Im wondering does Windows 7 Control got auto updates ? *cross fingers*

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
I liked Windows 7 Firewall with Windows 7 Firewall Control,

but ZA Free is so much more user friendly.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »
I liked Windows 7 Firewall with Windows 7 Firewall Control,

but ZA Free is so much more user friendly.

If you know on Windows 7 Control plz reply to my topic on Question...

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »

Im wondering does Windows 7 Control got auto updates ?

No updates, but sometimes a new version.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
So how i update it ? Manually ? Does i just remove the old version and install the new ? (like privatefirewall) If yes then i might take a big look there lol. (another new firewall rofl)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
So how i update it ? Manually ? Does i just remove the old version and install the new ? (like privatefirewall) If yes then i might take a big look there lol. (another new firewall rofl)
Sorry, I don't remember.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
How you was installing a new version you then ? Remove the old and install the another ?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
How you was installing a new version you then ? Remove the old and install the another ?

Sorry, I don't remember.  You can try installing new version over old, if that doesn't work...

Mr.Agent

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
Edit : Never mind i will maybe try like as alway remove the old complety then reinstall the new one with the reboots of course. I guess that what i will do. Because i absoluty want to try this FIREWALL control omg. lol there something that tell me its so good... Im not fan of zone alarm but its look good too but as i want something that i know about it then Windows 7 Firewall with Control its might not be bad.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:41:22 PM by Mr.Agent »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
Want to try FortKnox fw?

http://license.netgate.sk/free_pl.php

They have a browser, too.

It's called BlackHawk.

http://www.netgate.sk/blackhawk/help/welcome-to-blackhawk-web-browser.html