Author Topic: Best Firewall (from all Angles?) with Avast AV Free...  (Read 33411 times)

Mr.Agent

Re: Best Firewall (from all Angles?) with Avast AV Free...
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
I aim for free and fortknox is only ... PAID and there only 180 days or what for it. lol...

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
Free for 6 months. ;D

Mr.Agent

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
lol at least they give a free trial of 6 months. ;)

eta carinae

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
question..I recently got avast!internet with the firewall and just notice that the windows firewall is still turned on????? I'm I suppose to manual shut this off?  dont think you could use two firewalls at the same time. ???

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
You can leave both on, avast! fw was designed to run in tandem with the windows fw. You can turn it off if you want though. I've been running it like that for quite awhile and i've had no problems(i mean i have both on). :)

eta carinae

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »
You can leave both on, avast! fw was designed to run in tandem with the windows fw. You can turn it off if you want though. I've been running it like that for quite awhile and i've had no problems(i mean i have both on). :)

Thank's Darth=Mikey..was about to have a heart attack :D   didn't know you could run two at same time.whenever would download other firewalls the windows firewall would usually close on its own.computer technology changes so fast I cant keep up. :)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »
Well you really don't want to run 2 firewalls as that could cause conflicts but the avast! fw is an exception to that. Like i said it was designed from the start to work in tandem with the windows fw(not any other fw, just the windows fw). Hope that makes it more clear.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »
For now ZA is the best fw.

No.

+1

On a side note, personally i am more than satisfied with the avast! fw, talk about user friendly, it doesn't get more user friendly than avast! fw. ;)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:26 AM »
For now ZA is the best fw.

No.

+1

On a side note, personally i am more than satisfied with the avast! fw, talk about user friendly, it doesn't get more user friendly than avast! fw. ;)

Rdmaloyjr please don't make me fart! about ZA
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Dch48

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
In all seriousness, if you are behind a NAT router, the firewall that will cause the least hassles and incompatibilities is the Windows Firewall itself. In any version of Windows and without any third party modifications. To me,a firewall should be that and only that. Software that monitors connections (primarily incoming) between your machine and the rest of the world. All the other stuff like HIPS and program monitoring are , in my opinion, not only not the job of a firewall, but too obtrusive and almost always a complete waste of your time while using your machine. For a business or Agency that would be a prime target of attack, yes, you need more protection. But the average home user? I don't think so. Just make backups of data you wouldn't want to lose, install the Antivirus of your choice, and enjoy your computer time with no needless hassles from third party firewalls that go way beyond their scope.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:53:32 PM by Dch48 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
In all seriousness if you don't have outbound protection there is every possibility your inbound firewall protection can be circumvented. So the choice of to have a firewall that provides outbound protection has to revolve around the users acceptance of the risk.

Not all malware comes from the Internet and of that which does, not all of it will be blocked/detected. No single program is going to give 100% protection.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

Your firewall for the most part will allow inbound traffic if it was as a result of an outbound request from the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
Well seeing as in the last 12 years, nothing has gotten past my defenses, I'm content with what I have. If it does, full recovery is only a few hours away, so big deal.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
If it does, full recovery is only a few hours away, so big deal.

Guess, you mean: No big deal... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0