Author Topic: Your order-fulfillment service is a disgrace  (Read 3330 times)

Greybird

Your order-fulfillment service is a disgrace
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:27:37 PM »
After three years of using the free product, I finally chose to purchase Avast's integrated Internet Security suite (AV and firewall).

I will never make that mistake again.

Digital River, your fulfillment company, along with those programming their databases (whether it's Avast or not), and any hired call center, are showing utter incompetence.

I ordered the one-license / one-PC upgrade on line for $19.99 and paid with PayPal. At the conclusion of the process, the "button" noted for download (I assume for the .avastlic file, as I already had the free AV), did not appear.

About a half-hour later, an e-mail arrived with order confirmation and installation instructions. It referred to "the attached license file," although none was present, and the end of the e-mail had the text "License file does not exist".

After waiting for an hour to receive any further e-mails, I pursued this at the 8xx number on the Webpage (apparently another entity). I escalated this to two supervisors, partly due to the first two representatives having only a shaky command of standard English or a too-inflected accent. (They were in the Philippines.)

All said that I'd have to wait at least 48 hours to get any further response. No, I'm sorry, I told them, that is not acceptable! Not with such an online order of a license file!

I then pursued this the next day with the number they gave to me, for Digital River. I escalated this to a third supervisor, as well, for the same authority and language reasons. This man finally had the authority to cancel my order. (That this is not given to first-line personnel is utter absurdity.)

This supervisor hazarded a reason for what went wrong, though he didn't seem absolutely sure: The physical mailing address (required, but still utterly moot) I provided had a "#" sign in it, and that made the system fail in issuing a license file.

This, too, is unacceptable. Many businesses in the U.S., including mine, use a "private mailbox service" for mail and package receipt and for privacy. The U.S. Postal Service requires that these addresses use "#" or "PMB" for the box number. The "#" is all that many Website forms permit as to space. To have such a character make the order not complete properly is a fundamental failure.

After being told that I would have to wait at least until "the end of the week" (four days or more) to get a license file, due to their database's shortcomings, I asked him to cancel the order.

Although I promptly received a cancellation e-mail, I had to call back a third time to find out that I'd have to wait five to seven business days for a refund to my PayPal account.

This is not acceptable customer service. Not in any sense whatsoever.

Although the performance of your free product remains more than acceptable, I am neither ordering any of your products ever again, nor will I do so with my consulting customers — in fact, I will actively recommend against purchasing Avast. Certainly until you get a new order-fulfillment partner.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:54:11 PM by Greybird »

DavidCo

Re: Your order-fulfillment service is a disgrace
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
I don't know how it works in the USA but isn't the problem with Digital River, not Avast itself?

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
I don't know how it works in the USA but isn't the problem with Digital River, not Avast itself?
Avast is ultimately responsible, as it chose to contract with Digital River. And there's no place to register displeasure about the latter. You cannot even enter an online inquiry, using the link in their e-mails, without entering a "password" that Digital River fails to provide. You must do so over the phone.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
I believe that download link on completion of the payment process would have been for the product rather than the license. Though I don't know that for sure as I use the free version.

Was there not a link in the email to download the license file from ?

For avast license enquiries Digital River (Element5) https://secure.element5.com/esales/impressum.html?.

Also - Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
Was there not a link in the email to download the license file from?
The text of the e-mail said so, but at the end it simply said "License file does not exist", and the e-mail had no attachment. Re-sending the license was no help. (Though I thank you for those links.)