Author Topic: Avast 6 update and Vista  (Read 3621 times)

patbertaux

Avast 6 update and Vista
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
About 10 days ago, when I booted up my laptop, a pop-up from Avast suggested I update to the new version of the programme, which I did immediately.

Result : an error message from Windows Vista (0XC004D401), my Vista licence no longer recognised as valid, and Vista inoperable.

(By the way, I have Vista's Service Pack 2 installed)

I restored Vista twice - the first restoration left me with the famous black screen - and following suggestions found on internet (here and elsewhere), restored Avast to the previous version (5-dot-something).

Everything seems to be operational now... except that whatever I try, I can't update the virus database. The updating menu says my database is obsolete (110622-0), but when I ask to update, I'm told the database is already up to date (110705-0).

I'm just a plain "user" - though I've had a very steep upward learning curve over the last few days ! - and the posts on this forum have been a great help.

Can anyone help me make the final step and return to automatic database updates?
And when will there be a new Vista-proof version of Avast? I don't want to drop Avast !

:P

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast 6 update and Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but Avast 6 should be perfectly fine with Vista, as well as XP and 7.

Sounds like your avast installation got corrupted.

You could try to do a repair of Avast from the Add/Remove programs applet (Programs and Features) in the control panel.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest doing a full removal of Avast and re-install.

Download your current version of avast from here: (pick which one you use) http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Then go here and follow the directions: http://avast.com/uninstall-utility

Then after a reboot, install avast again and insert your license key (if you have a paid product) or just re-register.

Welcome to the forums!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »
The latest Stable version of Avast just released today is supposed to resolve the Vista problem. So it should be recommended to update it.

Maybe the database problem would be solved too with that update? Please update your program version, REBOOT, and report back if all the update problems were resolved.

patbertaux

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Hello

Thanks both for your replies.

I've just tried the "easy" solution - downloading the latest stable version. Rebooted, and got a message from Windows Defender saying Avast says database out of date... :o
Attempted manual download, but no success, same messages as before.

So this afternoon I'll uninstall and start from scratch and let you know ASAP.

BTW, I'm using the French version (I live in France), but I should think that's just an interface that makes no difference.

Back later...

patbertaux

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Phew ! Lost a couple of pounds in sweat, but yesss ! - it worked.

Lost my internet connection first time round, then the download (from a French magazine website ???) didn't work till 3rd time round, then the obsolete database messages started again...

Just as I was about to lose patience, the automatic update popup arrived, all nice and green, so now the only wobbly thing is me !

Many thanks for your help : I'll be raising a glass of French wine to you at dinner !

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
..., then the download (from a French magazine website ???) didn't work till 3rd time round, then the obsolete database messages started again...

There shouldn't be any need to download from some other site, even if it is the French translation. I indeed know some repositories websites with Avast versions, but it should be possible for you to find the direct download from Avast. Just for you to know for some future need.

Just as I was about to lose patience, the automatic update popup arrived, all nice and green, so now the only wobbly thing is me !

Having patience, rebooting after applying the changes, and waiting enough time for the next automatic update, should be a normal rule, most specially when troubleshooting.

Many thanks for your help : I'll be raising a glass of French wine to you at dinner !

You are welcome. Enjoy it :).

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
You're welcome, and enjoy that wine!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum