Author Topic: When to use the Avast Clean Uninstaller?  (Read 2654 times)

The Kitchen Sink

When to use the Avast Clean Uninstaller?
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »
Hi folks.

In short. I haven't used the cleaner. As I rather forgot about it from avast 5 (DOH!) lol

So yeah. I noticed the other day I had avast stuff floating around from a 5 and 6. I just reinstalled avast a few days ago and I wouldn't have any problem doing it again.

I was mainly curious if I should. Avast latest build seems fine as is. But anyone else have an opinion on this topic?

Is it best to uninstall. Clean out the old. Install again?

Also what is the best way to do this?

Uninstall in normal windows-->boot into safe mode--->use the cleaner--->install in safe mode?--->go use it as like every day back in normal mode?

Thanks for your time.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that on a vista machine there is a "Program Data" folder that is hidden. I was curious if those files of older avast version would conflict in any way with the one currently/recently installed?

Should I just un hide them and delete those folders and files?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:48:16 AM by The Kitchen Sink »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: When to use the Avast Clean Uninstaller?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »
Essentially you should only need it if the normal add remove programs uninstall does work.

Or if there are complications with and update to a much newer version, like avast5 to avast6, but that is normally not an issue.

After such an update if components aren't working or not working as expected, it may be best to do a clean install. Uninstall, reboot, run avast uninstall utility for safe mode, once for the old version, then for the one you just installed, reboot and install the latest version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »
Ok. Sounds good.

1 more question.

Vista64 sp2
I am still curious about the "program data" hidden folder. This folder contains avast5 files and avast 6 files. If anyone knows if they are safe to delete or leave alone. I would like to know.

Thank you =)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
You can get rid of the version 5 files if you find any  :)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
Me i normally uninstall from windows then run the removal tools then be happy. ;D