Author Topic: System startup significantly slowed with build 4.5.495  (Read 15001 times)

jepp1

System startup significantly slowed with build 4.5.495
« on: October 26, 2004, 06:58:08 AM »
After installing Avast 4.5.494 this weekend I was really impressed, until I updated to the newer version today and after rebooting, I've had extermely slow startup times.  It takes 5-10 minutes for the OS to finish loading.  Version 4.5.494 didn't have this problem.   If I turn off the standard shield provider, the system starts up quite quickly.  I understand that it may slow things down as it scans them, but this seems like more than it should be.  :)

I can't be sure it is related, but in the system event log, I've noticed I'm getting the following error on bootup.  The log only contains these events from this evening on, starting about the time I would have updated to the newer beta version of avast.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service to connect.

Any  suggestions would be appreciated.  If there is any data I can collect I will,  but I'm on dialup so my bandwidth is limited.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:System startup significantly slowed with build 4.5.495
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 08:12:18 AM »
Well this is Windows CD Burning part and its not related to avast! in any way. If you're not using Windows integrated CD burning (for example you use Nero Burning or any other 3rd party software) i recommend you to shutdown and disable "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and try again.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:44:14 AM »
Also, what does the 'Scan Count' entry for the Standard Shield provider show after clean boot?

I assume your using WinXP, right?

BTW it's quite unlikely that the problems you're seeing would be caused by anything that changed between build 494 and 495. 495 really contains just a couple of (more or less cosmetic) bugfixes otherwise it should be exactly the same...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 02:13:18 PM »
You can use StartUp.cpl or msconfig to disable things from loading at boottime. Disable them one at a time to see what is causing the delay. Don't forget to enable them again after checking.

I know this will need quiet a lot of reboots, in fact ofcourse reboot after disabling 1 thing to see if that is the one causing the delay.

jepp1

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 07:46:36 PM »
I am using XP home on a P4 based system.  Your probably right, the IMAPI error is probably unrelated.  I'll have to check the number of files scanned at startup when I get home to play with that system.  

I haven't tried the msconfig route, but nothing changed in what I was loading from before when the slowdown started.  Also, I know that if I disable the standard shield, the boot up speed comes back, so it seems like the problem may have something to do with the number of files scanned at bootup, or perhaps a particular file causing the trouble.  I'll check the overall number of files scanned, but is there a way to log the actual files which were scanned, perhaps from that I can narrow down what file/files that may be taking a long time, if it isn't just shear number?  Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:17:17 AM »
Perhaps from that I can narrow down what file/files that may be taking a long time, if it isn't just shear number?  Thanks for the quick suggestions.

I bet on the firewall... Which one do you use?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 10:17:48 PM »
I have Windows XP Pro English 32bit and i have similar problem, the booting time is approx 15-25s worse ...

OS waits for something before starting explorer.exe

as firewall i use Kerio PF 4.1.1
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 11:42:49 PM »
For security reasons, SP2 increased the protection at boot and shut down. I either notice a boot slight slow than before but I don't think it's a problem. I had, and big ones with Blue Death Screens because version 4.5 conflict with Norton GoBack 2004. I had to disable (not uninstall) GoBack and then repair avast! installation, boot, enable GoBack again before boot. After boot, GoBack could not be re-enabled with avast! 4.5.

Both program saved me a lot of times... I don't want to get rid from GoBack (anyway, Vlk always call it, and he's right, buggy...).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 01:14:49 AM »
Sasha:
I'm using both GoBack and 4.5 and had no problem at all. Have already used it once since upgrade to 4.5. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

jepp1

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 05:18:23 AM »
Sorry I wasn't able to get back sooner, but pregnant wives have higher priority than computer issues. :-)    I checked and at startup I'm seeing >1300 files scanned by the time the OS is fully loaded.  I am running KPF 4.1.1 myself.  I had the same things running with the previous version of avast and didn't have this slow of a startup.  

I run the following at startup:
Avast
KPF 4.1.1
SpeedswitchXP 1.4
WebWasher 3.3
Spybot Search & Destroy (Teatimer)
Prevx Home
Buzzsaw
Yahoopops
& Aquadock

jepp1

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 07:03:07 AM »
Technical you were right ;D  It was the firewall.   I disabled the Kerio service and the system checks about half as many files on startup and  was so much faster.   Have you seen this before with Kerio or other firewalls?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 12:17:07 PM »
Yes, this is a known issue in KPF. The reasons is that on system startup, Kerio is preloading the icons of applications that have rules associated with them. This triggers avast scan on those files.

I've asked the Kerio guys what can be done about that and their reply was like this (translated from Czech):

"...We decided to fix the problem. The fix should be included in the next beta version [KPF 4.1.0 at that time]. In case that you turn off showing of application icons in KPF - and instead of the icons you'll have KPF show only the EXE file paths - the OS will start much faster.

What was the problem? At system startup, the KPF GUI was prefetching the icons of all application for which there were any rules defined. This was done to speed up the display of the admin console. Unfortunately, the option whether to show or not the application icons did not have any effect on this prior to v4.1.0."

That is, the work around is to turn of displaying of application icons in KPF (I don't know where exactly in their GUI this option is, though...)

BTW normal scan count on clean sytem startup should be something like 350-400...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 12:23:38 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 12:20:01 PM »
Great to see two companies working together to solve a problem :D

jepp1

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 06:33:12 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the support that this forum has to offer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 09:58:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the support that this forum has to offer.

What will be the name of the baby?  ;)