Author Topic: How often avast 4 Pro gets updates during trial period?  (Read 4511 times)

wanchan

How often avast 4 Pro gets updates during trial period?
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »
I just started using avast! 4 Pro trial, and like its features much.  :)
Not bad to use for two months for free :) Well,  I have some concerns though.

1. Does avast 4 Pro trial get updates during trial period?
2. How often do avast users get updates?
I started using avast 4 Pro three days ago, but I got only one program update ::)

Thanks for advising.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:How often avast 4 Pro gets updates during trial period?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
There is no difference in updating between trial and "full" version.

"Program" updates are not that frequent - usually one update each month (a bigger update is going to take place soon, so it took a few months this time).
"Virus database" updates are released according to current needs. Usually, there are two updates a week, but if a new thread appears, the update is released immediately.

wanchan

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 10:45:53 AM »
Wow, thant is a fast response.  ;D

My question is more directed to the virus database update you mentioned. I was a long time user of Trend Micro PC-cillin. Due to the fact that Trend Micro is making PC-cillin another so-called all-in-one security suite, I left them. Some more reasons for the leave but there are not very relevant here.

Some more questions...
3. How frequent would you think the updates released by the avast compared to those of other popular anti-virus programs? I have not tried/used many anti-virus programs since for the past few years I was using Trend Micro.

4. avast virus database update and user intervention
Using PC-cillin for long certainly got me certain habits of thinking.  PC-cillin updates its program and virus database on interval bases, as short as three hours. With Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2004 I was getting 2-3 updates per day. But of course, Trend Micro updates might have contained database updates for PC-cillin anti-spam, firewall and more - none of those I used.

My question is this. as for avast, is it true that avast updates its program and virus database silently whenever it is available without user's intervention.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:10:48 AM by wanchan »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 10:57:56 AM »
Yes,avast! updates its virus defs fully automatically,but program updating is set to warn you about new version (this is default,but you can set to automatic in avast! settings too).

I would suggest VPS updates on mondays,wednesdays and fridays,but current 2-3 updates/week are enough for now (they do release more updates per day if needed)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 02:20:08 PM »
There have been occasions that 2 iVAS updates are released in the same day. I would much rather see a release as required rather than to any artificial schedule.

The PC-cillin may check every three hours, but I would doubt it is actually updated every three hours.

avast! checks when you first connect to the internet (if on dial-up) and then every 4 hours if you remain connected. So technically avast! has updates every 4 hours (if one is required).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »
My question is this. as for avast, is it true that avast updates its program and virus database silently whenever it is available without user's intervention.

Sure... Welcome to the paradise.
You can set your update period into avast4.ini file.
See 'Settings' on my signature and browse for section [InetWD]  ;)
The best things in life are free.

RJ

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 04:28:59 AM »
ha, I was just given a free subscription to PC-cillin's latest  package by Trend Micro.  I'll add it to my collection of software I get given that I never use :0)

Welcome to using Avast.    Avast really does give you peace of mind.....