Author Topic: BSOD - aswSP.sys  (Read 4836 times)

BarbaBookie

BSOD - aswSP.sys
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
using AIS 6.0.1203 got BSOD on aswSp.sys. BarbaBookie-aswsp.7z containing memory dump uploaded to FTP.

Offline jvidal

Re: BSOD - aswSP.sys
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
I have seen this error several times on different PCs and with diff versions of avast.
There's definitely s/thing wrong with aswSP.sys...

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
I have seen this error several times on different PCs and with diff versions of avast.
There's definitely s/thing wrong with aswSP.sys...

@jvidal: right, there were several known BSODs in aswsp.sys, but all of them should be fixed in build 1203

using AIS 6.0.1203 got BSOD on aswSp.sys. BarbaBookie-aswsp.7z containing memory dump uploaded to FTP.

@BarbaBookie: thanks for the dump. Yes, this is known long-term BSOD in aswsp.sys (maybe over several years now), it's inside antirootkit component. To be honest, there's no vlk's effort to fix this bug so I don't believe it'll be fixed some day. I think, this problematic part will be removed in avast7 and it's your only hope... if you get this bsod often, please consider to turn off antirootkit component (uninstalling behavior shield? I'm not exactly sure how to disable it..)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »
@BarbaBookie: thanks for the dump. Yes, this is known long-term BSOD in aswsp.sys (maybe over several years now), it's inside antirootkit component. To be honest, there's no vlk's effort to fix this bug so I don't believe it'll be fixed some day. I think, this problematic part will be removed in avast7 and it's your only hope... if you get this bsod often, please consider to turn off antirootkit component (uninstalling behavior shield? I'm not exactly sure how to disable it..)

Well, "no effort"... it's just that I don't see a way to completely resolve this (relatively rare) issue without a major rewrite of one of the components, and that won't happen over night... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:09:25 AM »
It's not "relatively rare". From I what i've seen, I'd say it's fairly common.
I have installed avast on dozens of PCs and I have stumbled upon this error several times (at least 5 or 6), on different machine configurationm some old, some new, some powerful, some not,etc.

I hope it was ,in deed, fixed in build 1023.
Greetings.

BTW: avast is a great product, thanks you guys for all your efforts and hard work.

BarbaBookie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »

Well, "no effort"... it's just that I don't see a way to completely resolve this (relatively rare) issue without a major rewrite of one of the components, and that won't happen over night... :-\
Well, it was first avast related BSOD in months, so it's not a problem.
Thank you both for the explanation.  :)

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
I don't know if giving more details about the context/hardware/software/behaviours/others that trigger this BSOD could compromise Avast (or its self-defense module) in any way.

If this is "very extremely rare", then maybe things are "acceptable" the way they are.

But if they are not, maybe giving details on how to avoid/minimize it, could help. That is, I repeat, if giving those details doesn't actually compromise Avast (and the other millions of users NOT having this specific BSOD).

OTOH, if this BSOD is a one-time behaviour, and the (already few) systems with this specific BSOD are not going to fail "constantly", then there shouldn't be any need to provide more details, no matter the case.

Giving details on any type of fail on a security tool is always a risk.

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »
Well if this after a full shut down when PC reboots there are 2 things to try. First try closing all open Windows then wait 15-20 sec before clicking shutdown. The other is to disable self defense mode.
Joe